Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 07:42 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

Our elms and other trees have leafed out nicely. Flowers are blooming. The mulberries have started to form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
I have at least 5 bird nests I can see from my house. Two are bluebird boxes already occupied, 1 is a nest on a decorative pinecone wreath I keep on my front porch year round and two are in two of my collection of antique watering cans I keep on the front porch. The robins holler at us whenever we get close but yesterday DH had the leaf blower on the front porch and a robin sat on the nest the entire time it was running and it got really loud.

Last year a black snake got into the two nests on the front porch. I hope this doesn't happen again this year.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM

148 posts, read 227,293 times
While getting dressed for church one Sunday morn, I saw outside the window,perched on the electric service wire to our house, three baby barnswallows. They all had their mouth open wide, as Mom flew in with breakfast for them. I watched her make three trips, and each time, with all mouths open wide, she fed each in turn. I had to stop watching and go down and fill my yap! Their mouths seemed pretty BIG ....course if your gonna swallow a barn....

Old 05-07-2014, 05:25 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,332,250 times
Sign of spring leading towards summer here in New England (where daytime temps. have reached the 60s):

Monday night (Tuesday at 4 a.m.) I had the window cracked open a little (though it was in the 40's outside).
Suddenly smelled the reek of skunk spray, and lunged to shut that window !
This hadn't happened all winter, no idea when last it wafted my way last fall (I don't take notes on that).
Point is that two days ago was first time since last year that my apt. was invaded by that distinctive odor from outdoors.

Put it in the category of the first time (since previous year) people smell manure on the fields in spring or summer.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:16 PM

148 posts, read 227,293 times
Manure in the morning...sounds like a book title...but is a real sinus opener!

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Sign of spring leading towards summer here in New England (where daytime temps. have reached the 60s):

Monday night (Tuesday at 4 a.m.) I had the window cracked open a little (though it was in the 40's outside).
Suddenly smelled the reek of skunk spray, and lunged to shut that window !
This hadn't happened all winter, no idea when last it wafted my way last fall (I don't take notes on that).
Point is that two days ago was first time since last year that my apt. was invaded by that distinctive odor from outdoors.

Put it in the category of the first time (since previous year) people smell manure on the fields in spring or summer.

cloven we have a skunk mama in our neighborhood patrolling her territory which includes our property. She is every day in my garden same time in the evening,sometimes she sprays..yes the fumes are here to stay ..She looks heavy,ready to give birth.This year they are late,due to the cold maybe..soon I will see little skunk kits Last year I saw them playing in my garden..too friendly if you ask me...wished people would not leave garbage outside...same goes with the raccoon...litter should be on the way very soon too. Even birds are later hatching...all due to the extreme cold weather we had. Buds are barely out on trees and bushes...hope it gets soon warmer here..well today and tomorrow we are getting a taste of early summer

Old 05-08-2014, 04:05 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Skunk kits! Never seen one, lucky you. They can bring problems but still....seeing a wild animal and babies is still awesome in my little book.

My Carolina wren's eggs have hatched and there are at least 3 babies that are at the stage where all they do is sit with their mouths open, waiting for mom to drop in those wiggly, green insects.

They are so adorable. Look like 3 members of a choir, ready to sing....

Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
cloven we have a skunk mama in our neighborhood patrolling her territory which includes our property. She is every day in my garden same time in the evening,sometimes she sprays..yes the fumes are here to stay ..She looks heavy,ready to give birth.This year they are late,due to the cold maybe..soon I will see little skunk kits Last year I saw them playing in my garden..too friendly if you ask me...wished people would not leave garbage outside...same goes with the raccoon...litter should be on the way very soon too. Even birds are later hatching...all due to the extreme cold weather we had. Buds are barely out on trees and bushes...hope it gets soon warmer here..well today and tomorrow we are getting a taste of early summer
Cool! That beats my observation by a mile.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:46 PM
bjh

I saw a cardinal hopping around on my truck this morning.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I saw a cardinal hopping around on my truck this morning.
And I heard an annoying noise outside and checked it out..a lonesome Canada goose was standing on a neighbors roof and was complaining for 1/2 hour,before he/she took off...maybe they had a spat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature