Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Spent two weeks in N.D. with a Lakota folksinger I met at the state fair. Camped at the Devils Lake, great walleye, pike and perch. She was mixed Lakota - French Canadian. Made great wild rice, learned the Indian recipe and thin cornbread, just cornmeal, buttermilk and oil. I know The Red River Valley is not in Texas, contrary to what yahoo's think. The Badlands are spectacular - but no country for an old man!
Devils lake is fantastic. We are bit too far to get up there as often as we would like. The Badlands are very interesting,

You get to see many Pronghorn coming up? Beautiful critters. Some oics my wife took one time down in SD.

We were on our way to Pine Ridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 AM

553 posts, read 1,048,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Devils lake is fantastic. We are bit too far to get up there as often as we would like. The Badlands are very interesting,

You get to see many Pronghorn coming up? Beautiful critters. Some oics my wife took one time down in SD.

We were on our way to Pine Ridge.
Yes. This has resurrected memories of some 40 years ago. My Lakota/French girlfriend was from the Standing Rock Reservation which I visited when taking her home. They gave me a very nice pair of their hard-soled (rawhide) moccasins when I left.

GREAT SPIRIT

Grant That I May Not Criticize My Neighbor
Until I Have Walked A Mile In His Moccasins

"Walk a mile in my moccasins to learn where they pinch."

Seeing the hard grounds in your Pronghorn photographs reminded me of the moccasins. Some of the Native American poetry is as good, in my eyes, as anything from any culture in the world.

"Only when all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted and the last fish has been caught, only then will you discover you cannot eat money."
~ Cree Prophecy

" Lose your temper and you lose a friend; lie and you lose yourself."
~Hopi

The next summer, at USC Berkeley, the Pine Ridge Shootout and Aquash case happened. I was so embarrassed I never went back. Years later I bought some fine Indian moccasins in Alaska and have worn Indian moccasins as house shoes ever since.

Some ten years later I worked here: About the Mescalero Apache Tribe New Mexico

" What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
~ Crowfoot, Blackfoot Warrior & Orator

I'm wearing moccasins now as I type.

I never thought I was an Indian, a citizen, nor a foreigner. I was a professional escapist. WTF, somebody had to do it!

Time for my 2nd. coffee. Where you in Nam?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:

--SNIP--

Time for my 2nd. coffee. Where you in Nam?
Mostly over it. I was a pilot in the very early days. Did mostly napalm drops. Very bad memories I wish I could forget.

Another example of how we humans manage to wreck nature and people

Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 PM

553 posts, read 1,048,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Mostly over it. I was a pilot in the very early days. Did mostly napalm drops. Very bad memories I wish I could forget.

Another example of how we humans manage to wreck nature and people
I read your profile today, WOW! A horseman too!

That was a dark time. I was with the 173rd. Airborne (STUPID)

You guys saved our butts! If we prayed, it was for some crazy F-4 or strafing F100 pilot to scream in and blow or burn the reverse slope to China. Everyone lied to us and what the hell did we know.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I read your profile today, WOW! A horseman too!

That was a dark time. I was with the 173rd. Airborne (STUPID)

You guys saved our butts! If we prayed, it was for some crazy F-4 or strafing F100 pilot to scream in and blow or burn the reverse slope to China. Everyone lied to us and what the hell did we know.
A time I try to forget.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:03 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
On a recent walk there was a squirrel absolutely chilln' out belly down on a shady part of the sidewalk. Little guy didn't even see me at first. I waited a bit. He did see me, then hopped up and jumped on an oak tree. He was okay. Just chillin' like they do in trees sometimes this time of year. But in shade concrete can feel cool. That squirrel is no dummy.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:45 PM

6,552 posts, read 4,698,282 times
Saw a beautiful Monarch (?) butterfly this afternoon. The gorgeous yellow and black, is that a monarch?

Old 07-28-2014, 09:36 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
an assassin bug climbed aboard my chainsaw yesterday while i was cutting up a dead cherry tree.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Saw a beautiful Monarch (?) butterfly this afternoon. The gorgeous yellow and black, is that a monarch?
Did it look like any of these? ---> Monarch butterfly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
an assassin bug climbed aboard my chainsaw yesterday while i was cutting up a dead cherry tree.
Think I saw the movie where that attacked Tokyo. Or one of its kin did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature