Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 03:36 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times

Advertisements

I say an egg broken on the sidewalk under a bird's nest. The insides had been fresh. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised birds would lay eggs this time of year. Guess they have enough weeks to get a youngster or two out of the nest before it gets really cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I say an egg broken on the sidewalk under a bird's nest. The insides had been fresh. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised birds would lay eggs this time of year. Guess they have enough weeks to get a youngster or two out of the nest before it gets really cold.
Many birds will lay as many eggs as possible weather permitting. What you may have seen was the aftermath of a crow attack. They rip out nests and eat eggs and the young song birds. They are quite brutal.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,570,390 times
A friend of mine caught a Scorpion parading across his den room floor.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 PM
bjh

Parked under a tree. Came out hours later and my truck was covered with bugs' pee.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:19 AM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Parked under a tree. Came out hours later and my truck was covered with bugs' pee.
I accidentally sucked up with a vacuum one of those skinny flies that have those long legs..it is going to haunt me tonight in my dreams

Old 09-26-2014, 01:31 PM
bjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I accidentally sucked up with a vacuum one of those skinny flies that have those long legs..it is going to haunt me tonight in my dreams
Uh oh. It happens.

vv This little bug says "ppft!"

Old 10-08-2014, 11:50 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,809,748 times
I remember in the middle of summer, the raccoons would bring their kits out. I used to turn the hose on so a trickle of water would come out. The baby raccoons would go crazy and jump and play with the hose for hours. At a low point in my yard, I actually had a little water pond form when this happened and the raccoons would jump and play in the water, pouncing and picking up twigs and splashing around. I was surprised at how much they played like puppies. One kit would grab it's mother's tail in its mouth and try to pull her backward. Another kit found my unattached sprayer and play with it like a puppy plays with a chew toy. They would chase each other and roll around on the ground, climb my little tree that was in a large pot (and tip it over), scale the wooden garden bench, and totally soak themselves in the mud and the water. I always felt sorry for their mother after she finally herded them off to home.

The last summer was the best one, because Mama moved her kits into an old pipe that ran from my yard under the road. The babies were hardly able to even balance on their own four paws when they started coming out and playing in my yard. The first time they saw me, it was like they couldn't believe their eyes. When they left, one little guy just kept looking at me like he was trying to memorize what I looked like before he finally turned around and ran to catch up with his family. I must have seemed like something from outer space to them.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:11 PM

59 posts, read 68,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Awesome!

Love S Fla....I live on the coast as well-one reason: my area is in path for migration

Kudos for you getting up so early, best time for birds/animal sitings

Thanks for posting

gbh

Old 10-19-2014, 11:03 AM
bjh

Twice recently saw a butterfly about 20 feet off the ground, flying along. Different butterfly, probably.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 PM

11,907 posts, read 8,227,609 times
A flock of cedar waxwings used our yard as a way station yesterday. They had done this for several years and then one was murdered in our yard and we hadn't seen them for a few years now. So glad to see they are back although this seems late in the year to me for them to finally be moving.

They ignore our birdbath in the sun and much prefer hiding in the lilac bush outside my window here and using one of those cement leaf molds on the ground that a friend made for me. I've got such a good spot right out the window where I sit with my computer.

"Little bandits," I call them. They're so sleek and pretty.

I also leave a few peanuts out by that spot and sometimes have a visit from a young chipmunk who lives in our woodpile. Don't tell DH. He detests the little troublemakers and wouldn't be happy that I was feeding him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature