Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,807,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I agree Alm. Who is their right mind leaves out food for wild animals? Our old neighbor used to throw leftover off their deck and thought it was sooooo cute that a family of foxes came every night until their grandchild was frightened half insane when one approached him.
A coworker used to do that.. She was crazy...take anything home to feed her possums raccoons etc.... Birthday cake and any leftovers... Craziness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:14 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,730,209 times
Today I was driving a state highway in southern Minnesota, through an area of cornfields and scattered woods. Flying parallel to the road, over the cornfield, was a red-tailed hawk being harassed by a red-winged blackbird.

Now, for those of you who have witnesses raptors being harassed by smaller birds, the raptors are much less maneuverable, so the smaller birds can swoop in and take a shot at the larger bird, then get away before the raptor can retaliate.

Well, what I saw was the blackbird land in the back of the hawk in flight, stay there for a couple of seconds, then peel away. I thought I must be mistaken, but a few seconds later, it happened again. And then a third time. It really was happening. I've observed a lot of hawks and eagles and crows and ravens (and even a few owls) being harassed by smaller birds. But I've never seen a smaller bird land on one of them while the larger bird was flying.

It was really cool and I'm glad I got to see it... three times!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 PM

15,968 posts, read 10,526,043 times
Anybody able to identify this reptile? He/She lives on the western heights above Albuquerque near the volcanoes...high desert. I've heard a bunch of names -- Gecko, Horned Toad, Chameleon... We have lizards out the wazoo but this one I don't know.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:14 AM

30,229 posts, read 15,988,536 times
could it be this little guy?

Yellowbacked Spiny Lizard Or Desert Spiny Lizard Sceloporus Magister Male Climbing The Trunk Of A Poplar Grand Staircaseescalante National Monument Utah United States Stock Photo | Getty Images

Old 06-26-2015, 10:55 AM

15,968 posts, read 10,526,043 times
Default Western Zebre-tailed Lizard

I think the mystery is solved...I went searching for lizard images and found him. He's a Western Zebra-tailed Lizard but a little overweight, based in the other pictures, and he has a stubby tail with paler markings on the tail. Probably a local variety in NM. I have lizards like most people have robins but I never saw one of these guys before.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholashess/14030343698/

He has a big impressive name... Callisaurus draconoides rhodostictus

Old 06-27-2015, 10:08 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,332,250 times
June 27, 2015. Brattleboro, VT.
I was walking along sidewalk this afternoon & saw what turned out to be a turkey vulture (distinctive blood-red head).

First photo, it's the black speck at base of telephone pole (initially thought it was a crow).
Second photo, it flew to left, across road (and the sidewalk I was on), and into a yard.
3rd-5th pix are when it perched atop a lamp post for awhile, before disappearing behind more trees.

Open spoilers to see, so I don't slow down the thread with slow-loading images:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 07-01-2015, 03:20 AM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Wabbits. Saw rabbits grazing in the grass along the roadside in a couple of places yesterday morning.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,040,425 times
Our neighbors have a bunch of groundhogs living under their deck. A few weeks ago we saw five of them eating on the lawn babies and full grown. The neighbors cat was just looking at them resting. it was such a cute scene.

We have a few holes in our backyard but unfortunately our dogs chase and sometimes catch the groundhogs. I hate it when this happens but I guess I can't blame the dogs they are doing what dogs do.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM

11,907 posts, read 8,227,609 times
The robins in my yard must be getting ready for a second hatching. I saw Mom pulling sphagnum moss out of one of my hanging flower baskets while Dad sat by and kept watch.

Later I noticed that she had a ragged breast. She must have been pulling feathers out to line the nest. That just touched my heart in the most profound way.

Meanwhile, big, fat full-grown baby sits on the ground doing his "Feed me! Feed me!" wing flutter and isn't getting much attention anymore.

Over and over I see life's good lessons played out in nature.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:40 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,071,701 times
Lots of small bats seen during our walk just before sunrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature