U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 AM

11,491 posts, read 6,362,108 times

Advertisements

Inflated Desert Blister Beetle?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:12 AM

20,936 posts, read 12,700,702 times
bats are good.

SunGrins-I don't like bugs but I do like photos of bugs. That's a likable photo of a bug.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM

31,304 posts, read 30,321,890 times
This morning I saw a Lesser Goldfinch and a Cactus Wren in the yard.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:48 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,777,896 times
I must be in the direct flight path of a beautiful golden eagle. Just saw her again about a half hour ago. Didn't get to snap a photo, but here's a wiki reference pic. She is huge!
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-golden_eagle.png  

Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM

36,939 posts, read 23,973,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Inflated Desert Blister Beetle?
yep. navajo indians call them 'water haulers.'

Sunday WaterHauler - Megetra vittata - BugGuide.Net

i slapped the biggest mosquito i ever saw in my life last night. dang thing must have had an eighth of a teaspoon of blood in it.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,136,563 times
Well, this might be a bit different, but...

Several years ago I was biking to work when I saw a rather fat cat playing with something in the road. So I stopped my bike to take a look, and it turned out that the cat had captured a field mouse. He was playing with his catch, letting it run back and forth between his paws, every once in a while pouncing down on him. The poor mouse was terrified, and I felt I should try and do something (obviously the cat was not in dire need of a meal) so, using my bike as a shield, I managed to get between cat and mouse. I was hoping the mouse would see his chance and dash away, but unfortunately he was confused, and every time he'd figure out that he should run, he wound up going in circles. The cat, in the meantime, was quite miffed at me for disrupting his fun, and kept trying to get around my bike and back to his prey.

After many tries to get the mouse to run, he finally started to go...but then came back and - get this - jumped up on my sneaker, whereupon he sat up, looked directly at me, and squeeked. I swear, it was one of those spiritual moments where I felt strongly that the mouse was asking me for help, and I was rather taken aback at the sense of human-animal communication that was taking place.

Sadly, the story ended not so well for the mouse - seconds later the cat managed to evade my bike blockade; he whipped around the tire and snatched up the mouse, then took off behind a group of nearby buildings.

To this day I feel sadness every time I think of that little mouse, who seemed to be pleading with me to help him, which unfortunately, I failed to do.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 AM
bjh

42,266 posts, read 26,544,795 times
Big spider web on the porch last night with a juicy spider waiting in the center of it.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM

11,479 posts, read 7,663,132 times
Humming bird.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:50 AM

8,975 posts, read 5,303,655 times
Don't see much of Mom and Dad robin now. Big fat baby is bathing daily in my ground bird bath taking turns with the full grown baby blackbirds who are also now on their own. They all look a little clumsy and forlorn.

I love when I get out the hose to give my plants a drink and can hear the neighborhood robins come to sing their water song. Have you heard it? To me it speaks of life and joy and hope. "There's water! It's water!" they trill in unison.

The black squirrels who must have come across the frozen river this winter are living across the street. They sneak over, traversing the yard on top of the fence, to have lunch at one of the bird feeders. The four established greys whose family has been here for decades scold them every day but they seem to be coming to a compromise.

Yesterday when the greys weren't around one black squirrel went from the feeder to the tomato patch repeatedly burying seeds. So next time they come they won't have to invade the private dinning room of the residents. Smart.

Yesterday a large, fluffy red squirrel was sitting on the fire pit. I've never seen the varieties in one spot before. Must be the FHA. Heh.

We'll see how they all work it out.

Cats go out at four-ish and sit on the deck watching. About then two brindled bunnies show up also. The Girls have long stopped bothering to attempt an attack.

Everybody's got their daily schedules.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 923 times
Default Inspire urself to touch nature today

Our task must be to free ourselves from this world by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures. Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings of nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature