Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 03:05 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've been spotting a "bold jumping spider" around my front porch lately.

The first time he raised his abdomen vertically to make it look like a face as he thought I was going to eat him or something. lol

8 Smiling Spiders That Make You Feel Warm and Fuzzy - WebEcoist

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a picture of what they look like. They are about the size of a nickel.
Mmmmm....no thanks. I'll take your word for it.

My mom used to cal those "money spiders". She said to leave them, let them live in the house and they'll give you good luck and money. So, I never kill them.

I kinda like them, even though I am definitely not a spider lover. I don't kill them, but they sure don't make me feel warm and fuzzy, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
1. Our Barn Swallows second set of eggs have hatched and both parents are feverishly feeding them, nonstop. Their little heads are just starting to peek over the nest so, they will soon be gone.

2. The Purple Martins have finally moved on for this season. We had so many hatch this year that we will need to add a third house for them next year.

3. Mister Norma was bush hogging Saturday and found a new Fawn hidden in the tall grass by the fence. It was only about as big as our 15 pound cat. He picked it up to move it to safety on the other side of the fence and it let out a BAHHHH!!! Calling for its mom, who came a-running.

Fawns don't have an odor so as to keep predators away from them. The Doe cleaned it off and hopefully she won't move it until it's old enough to travel in another week or two.

I haven't heard the coyotes lately, so then little tyke should be safe from harm until it's old enough to run and jump.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:30 PM

515 posts, read 778,272 times
As of last week, all 7 nest boxes of tree swallows have fledged and left, 12 pair of purple martins and their fledglings have left and already, I'm seeing an increase of the mosquito and flying insect population. Gosh, I sure miss watching them swoop over my garden and back yard and hearing the martins chatter while I'm in my garden. On a side note, I still have 2 baby blue birds but they'll be gone within a week or so. It's been a good year for them but they'll be back in late March and early April.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Everywhere I go there seem to be flocks of turkeys.

Here's a pic of one of the turkey families that take a walk through my property and go on down the road most days.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:58 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
spotted an awesome, huge imperial moth outside my building this morning.

the caterpillar stage of this is pretty crazy looking.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:10 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
A family of turkeys, 3 adults and a bunch of little ones, walked into our fenced back yard. There are 2 open gates. The adults and a couple little ones went out the other gate. The others kept walking back and forth along the fence trying to follow the others. They would get to within 2 feet of the open gate and turn around. You could tell they were getting more frantic about it. Eventually all but one little guy got out. The rest of the family was starting to leave him. We went out to shew him toward the gate and he flew over the fence.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:59 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
A family of turkeys, 3 adults and a bunch of little ones, walked into our fenced back yard. There are 2 open gates. The adults and a couple little ones went out the other gate. The others kept walking back and forth along the fence trying to follow the others. They would get to within 2 feet of the open gate and turn around. You could tell they were getting more frantic about it. Eventually all but one little guy got out. The rest of the family was starting to leave him. We went out to shew him toward the gate and he flew over the fence.
I swear, if ever a bird should be called pea-brained, it is Wild Turkeys.

If they are on my road and a car comes along, they trot smack in front of the car, until they get to the exact spot they WANT to get off the road.

Nothing else will do. Not 20' feet earlier, not 5' earlier, it has to be a specific spot and pity the kids if they are not big enough to clumsily flap their wings, get over top the fence and they don't think to go under it

^^^As you commented, the longer this confusion goes on, the more frantic they become

Uggabugga, beautiful pics of the Imperial Moth! I have seen HUGE moths down by the barn. I don't know if they were Imperial Moths but I thought they were very pretty

I have a pair of Monarch Butterflies at the barn. I have a pic of them on my IPhone but I'm not sure how to upload directly from the IPhone to this forum; or isn't that possible?

Old 07-24-2015, 02:04 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
I had a huge fat woodchuck dining in my yard today.

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 PM

311 posts, read 467,288 times
We have a rabbit (not sure if it's a baby or just a small rabbit)in our yard. Saw him in the back yard and the front yard and then I opened my front door and he was sitting on my welcome mat. I think he wants to be a pet rabbit.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:58 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
Some critter somehow got on my deck and chewed the wood (looks like it was trying to get out). Not sure how it got in and then couldn't get out but lots of damage left. There was no food or anything left out to attract wildlife so I can't figure out what it was looking for. Maybe it just wanted to chew wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature