U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 02:31 PM

839 posts, read 1,167,053 times

Advertisements

Took a brief walk this morning. We have some fresh snow on the ground (about 2") so we were checking out some animal tracks. Found squirrel, fox, rabbit, and deer tracks. We also found a den, not sure what kind. No bones or fur or freshly dug dirt around den, but didn't want to hang too close to the den either.

On the birds side, we saw fish crow, American crow, turkey vulture, red-tailed hawk, red bellied and downy woodpeckers, Canada geese, juncos, blue jays, cardinals, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, white-throated sparrows, and mourning doves. Titmice, cardinals and chickadees were in song, which I haven't heard in some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:32 PM

839 posts, read 1,167,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
These show up in late April early May.. Tennessee Watchable Wildlife | Yellow-billed Cuckoo
and the sound around a hour before sunset is amazing as it echo's .. I have tried for several years to get a photo.. but very hard to find..
TN Tin Man, my apologies for missing your post. I have never heard the yellow-billed in person but have heard the black-billed. I listened to the calls of the yellow billed after your post and it is beautiful-thank you for sharing!

Old 02-06-2016, 03:10 PM

23,635 posts, read 21,973,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
TN Tin Man, my apologies for missing your post. I have never heard the yellow-billed in person but have heard the black-billed. I listened to the calls of the yellow billed after your post and it is beautiful-thank you for sharing!
Thanks.. Tennessee has some amazing critters > enjoy Tennessee Watchable Wildlife | Home

Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,632,813 times
Today we had a beautiful male Cardinal stuck on our screened in back porch. took forever to ge thim out the open door. We are now having to remind the girls to make sure the door is always closed shut.

Heard but haven't seen Billy Bluebird in our back yard. We have 4 bb houses and it is always fun and anxious to watch to see if Millie will accept Billy's choice for her nest.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 AM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
I'm back in southern MN. Yesterday in our back yard we had a pair of piliated woodpeckers and then later a pair of ravens. I had never seen ravens here before and the woodpeckers are uncommon. Big birds.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 AM

3,270 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Pileated Wood Pecker.. I have several pairs competing.. having to shoot between blinds and screens.. The link below gives the size

For those who have not heard their call.. click on the individual links under sound tab.. I hear this daily..

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...er/lifehistory
Oh, how GORGEOUS! I am seriously envious. We do get lovely red-bellied woodpeckers here, but that bird is stunning.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:31 AM

3,270 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm back in southern MN. Yesterday in our back yard we had a pair of piliated woodpeckers and then later a pair of ravens. I had never seen ravens here before and the woodpeckers are uncommon. Big birds.
I have seen some gigantic ravens here in South Jersey. The size of their beaks always amazes me. Beautiful birds.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM

118,682 posts, read 13,642,463 times
I had a wonderful walk through the forest watching birds feeding on the stationed bird feeders hanging on pine trees.I thought I saw a deer but was told it just was a dead tree trunk I also saw a heron on a stone near a creek and lots of deer and rabbit prints.For me an exciting few hours.Sun was shining in the morning,later the wind picked up and was blowing through the forest.It sounded like Nature was talking to me..love it,love it

Old 02-07-2016, 03:08 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I have seen some gigantic ravens here in South Jersey. The size of their beaks always amazes me. Beautiful birds.
They're awesome. But a little boring. All ours said was, "Nevermore."

Old 02-08-2016, 08:53 AM

10,529 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Coyote behind the house at sunrise eating a prairie dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature