U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 03:30 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,942,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I saw a Hummingbird Clearwing Moth sipping nectar from petunias in a planter in front of a shop.
I am fascinated by those moths! They sort of look like bees that look and act like hummingbirds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 03:34 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
We saw a Mississippi Kite in NH this weekend, which I guess is fairly rare. This is the best photo I got, not easy to get a good pic of a soaring bird a quarter mile away.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:36 PM

I had a Close Encounter of the Opossum Kind. It was near dusk and I saw a 'possum in the back of my yard, meandering along. Wow, they must have terrible vision and hearing, because I walked right up to it, just a couple feet away. It did not notice me at first, and keep snuffling for grubs or whatever it was looking for. Then he lifted his head and saw me. (Cue the music from the Psycho shower scene, at least from his perspective.) At first he just froze and averted his eyes. When I didn't move away, he hissed at me. LOL. Opened up that big toothy maw and hissed. Then he hissed again, while backing away under the bushes. I didn't want to get any closer, as I was afraid he would faint. They are so vulnerable at that time, until they suddenly wake up (very cool to see, if you ever are as lucky as I was some time back). He hissed and backed up under the bush and disappeared. Was definitely an older, "mature" 'possum, as his ears were marred from frostbite episodes. Sure wish I had my cellphone camera with me at that time!

Old 07-27-2016, 04:17 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
I love nature like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a record recently RECORDED IN 1970 of a beautiful forest with birds chirping,etc........ It is so peaceful!!!! (The other side has an ocean shore and thats nice also)

Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM

118,678 posts, read 13,639,494 times
It has been a great summer so far with lot of hiking.
Recently I enjoyed some easy rock climbing,hiking,food over a campfire. What was really beautiful to see soaring turkey vultures. It was fun to explore the natural beauty seeing rare ferns,chipmunks,warblers,deer,skunk,a good sized frog and ancient cedars,pines,spruce,birches and other trees. The sky was clear,a bit windy at times and it felt like the wind was whispering through the trees. The birch leaves rustling in the wind sounded like running water and the clucking chipmunks were so active. I love to hike early in the morning when the sun rises,the first sun rays touching your face while walking through the thick forest trails. By noon the flies,bees,bumble bees and butterflies buzzing around flowers,wheat or just following along the trail. The warmer it got the more you could smell the cedar ,spruce and pine trees and for a short distance we followed a trail covered by needles and you could not even hear your own footstep so soft it felt to walk upon the pine trail.
Moments like this being out there I feel so blessed and this quote summons it all up
“Mother Nature is our teacher—reconnecting us with Spirit, waking us up and liberating our hearts. When we can transcend our fear of the creatures of the forest, then we become one with all that is; we enter a unity of existence with our relatives—the animals, the plants and the land that sustains us.”

― Sylvia Dolson, Joy of Bears

Old 07-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Have heard these guys out back all summer but they never made an appearance until today.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Have heard these guys out back all summer but they never made an appearance until today.
I am seriously envious! What species of woodpecker is that?

Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am seriously envious! What species of woodpecker is that?
Pileated Woodpecker https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/..._Woodpecker/id

Old 07-29-2016, 03:16 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
...What species of woodpecker is that?
Woody!!!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:17 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,676,833 times
Have a pair on my property-beautiful, shy and VERY noisy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature