U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 07:34 PM

3,261 posts, read 1,941,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Our Hummingbird visits are dropping, sugar water consumption is down by about half over the last few days.
Hmm, over in the hummingbird thread, several of us are reporting non-stop warring by lots of hummingbirds. If you are in NH, that would make sense. What that would mean is those of us farther south are seeing the migration of the more northern birds. They are drinking nectar like crazy. But my male hummers left a couple of weeks ago. They always head out early!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times
I see Owls more than anybody I know.

Maybe the owls are letting me see them? I see them alot when I am upset & they always make me feel better.

Since the Waldo Canyon Fire in 2012 it's impossible to NOT see deer on a daily basis. During winter 2015-2016 I noticed an odd behavior; they no longer come bounding into the roadway.

They are literally crossing the street one at a time after looking both ways.

They can cross a street better than a teenager (human).

This last week at nightfall every night we have had a cloud of small grey-brown birds that come swooping down the street from seemingly everywhere & chirping very loudly like they are being chased or at least warning all birds in the area to LEAVE FAST. I can't tell where they are going. Maybe the owls are on the way?

I love this thread!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:32 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Migration begins:

New arrival -Cormorants
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...P_0573copy.jpg

He has been here for a few weeks - love watching him hunt and hearing his voice
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Osprey/id

Old 08-27-2016, 05:17 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Hmm, over in the hummingbird thread, several of us are reporting non-stop warring by lots of hummingbirds. If you are in NH, that would make sense. What that would mean is those of us farther south are seeing the migration of the more northern birds. They are drinking nectar like crazy. But my male hummers left a couple of weeks ago. They always head out early!
That's what I suspected, the week or 2 before the drop they were draining it daily so I suspected they were getting ready to head south.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:29 AM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
The only transients I get are from the east end of Long Island. Never from the north due to the span of water they would have to traverse. My guess is the males here will start to leave in the next two weeks, as in the past years.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:03 PM

1,296 posts, read 767,941 times
Hummingbird visits dropping way off here in WNC, but lots of screech owl calls at night, much more than in past years.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:01 PM

664 posts, read 610,552 times
Hi.
Last week I had to travel to the north of Argentina for work and as I visited tons of towns in the area and a couple of National Parks I was able to see a lot of wildlife. As it was not a touristic trip, itís not like I had many opportunities to stop in the middle of nowhere to stay watching birds or whatever I came across. In addition, I only carried my cell phone, so my pics are modest:

Kingfisher (Megaceryle torquata)

Tiger heron (Tigrisoma lineatum)

Yacare caiman

Yatay palm trees make up a wonderful scenery from the air (taken from a helicopter)

Other birds I saw include the ubiquitous great kiskadees and lapwings (both of them common in Buenos Aires too), a brutal amount of different passerine birds (monjitas were the most distinctive), some raptors such as chimangoes, caracaras and several unidentified harriers/hawks, one of them had preyed upon a snake it was grabbing with its claws while flying! There were also many cute Ipaca wood rails (Aramides ypecaha) running on the sides of the roads, white herons, cocoi herons, regular storks (Ciconia maguari) and the most imposing flying bird in the area, the Jabiru stork (Jabiru mycteria). These guys are beautiful in their own way, and have a wingspan up to 2.7 m / 9 feet. I saw a couple of them, itís a pity I couldnít photograph any.

I also saw some flightless rheas, three foxes, including one dead on the road. All of them were probably Lycalopex gymnocercus. Other mammals observed in the area were capybaras, hairy armadillos (I guess they were Euphractus sexcinctus) and an elusive brown brocket deer (Mazama gouazoubira).
Great trip overall.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:25 AM

2,189 posts, read 986,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
The only transients I get are from the east end of Long Island. Never from the north due to the span of water they would have to traverse. My guess is the males here will start to leave in the next two weeks, as in the past years.
I stand corrected. They took the early train out yesterday.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:56 AM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times
After 6 hours of spooky Thunderstorms & Flash Flooding last night we woke up to snow on the Peak (Pikes) this morning!

Tell me your nature observations!-pikes-peak.jpg

Old 08-29-2016, 11:48 AM

4,316 posts, read 2,146,340 times
I see deer come out in either late afternoon or at night ( back porch trail cam )

I also enjoy the cardinals at my sunflower feeder and the butterflies at my butterfly bush.

( northern Arkansas in the Ozarks )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature