Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2016, 05:00 PM

30,229 posts, read 15,988,536 times

Advertisements

They've been reintroduced in PA to help control the porcupine population. i've actually seen a couple so guess they're happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 07:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
Did he have bait on his hook? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,466,476 times
Something dug a hole through the mulch and landscape fabric against the house foundation. It looks big enough for a large woodchuck. There no pile of soil around the hole. It has to be somewhere.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,752,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Something dug a hole through the mulch and landscape fabric against the house foundation. It looks big enough for a large woodchuck. There no pile of soil around the hole. It has to be somewhere.
Around here, an armadillo would be the likely culprit. I had to put chicken wire on the ground to stop them from trying to dig under the foundation. They sling the dirt back out of the hole, so they don't always create mounds of dirt.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:27 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,613,989 times
I have a local county park nearby, small but with a diversity of habitats (forest, field, streams, etc.). I usually take my morning walks there with a pair of binoculars. Early last week I took my binoculars with me for some light birding and a one day, one hour walk turned into several days and over 5 hours total at this park, as I came across a surprising migration stopover!

Apparently, sometime around September 30th there was a shift in the winds and I got a nice treat. Within the typical mixed flocks of wintering nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, and chickadees was a terrific diversity of migratory birds! Here is the list of migrants that I observed (this is besides the 20-25 species of year-round resident that I typically see there). Note that many of these were in numbers (the largest number was the black-and-white warbler-I counted about 15)!

Merlin
American redstart (more females than males)
Chestnut-sided warbler
Bay-breasted warbler
Common yellowthroat
Black-throated blue warbler
Black-throated green warbler
Black-and-white warbler
Magnolia warbler
Pine warbler
Blue-headed vireo
Yellow-throated vireo
Eastern towhee
Eastern wood-pewee
Unidentified Empidonax flycatcher (either Acadian, willow or alder-bird was backlit)
Unidentified thrush-veery or hermit thrush (brief view before flitting into brush)

Merlins are definitely moving hard this week, I saw more merlins this week (3) than I've seen in a year.

I went back to that park early this week and the migrants, sadly, are gone (or at least I could not locate the flock again), but the winter residents are moving in. I saw yellow-bellied sapsuckers, brown creeper, and white-throated sparrows. Just waiting for the juncos to round them out!

Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,523,007 times
Look who I just saw walking by my home office window today! It was a flock of three. Here's the one who posed the best:

I made an album with other pix from today's sighting in it.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:11 PM

126,110 posts, read 18,860,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Look who I just saw walking by my home office window today! It was a flock of three. Here's the one who posed the best:

I made an album with other pix from today's sighting in it.
601 I would have just stopped working and enjoy watching them

Old 10-11-2016, 04:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,613,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
601 I would have just stopped working and enjoy watching them
Same!

Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,181,952 times
Late last night we saw this guy (second time this year).
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Richardson.jpg

We were hoping to see some mergansers by now. They were here last year in September.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,188,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I have a local county park nearby, small but with a diversity of habitats (forest, field, streams, etc.). I usually take my morning walks there with a pair of binoculars. Early last week I took my binoculars with me for some light birding and a one day, one hour walk turned into several days and over 5 hours total at this park, as I came across a surprising migration stopover!

Apparently, sometime around September 30th there was a shift in the winds and I got a nice treat. Within the typical mixed flocks of wintering nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, and chickadees was a terrific diversity of migratory birds! Here is the list of migrants that I observed (this is besides the 20-25 species of year-round resident that I typically see there). Note that many of these were in numbers (the largest number was the black-and-white warbler-I counted about 15)!

Merlin
American redstart (more females than males)
Chestnut-sided warbler
Bay-breasted warbler
Common yellowthroat
Black-throated blue warbler
Black-throated green warbler
Black-and-white warbler
Magnolia warbler
Pine warbler
Blue-headed vireo
Yellow-throated vireo
Eastern towhee
Eastern wood-pewee
Unidentified Empidonax flycatcher (either Acadian, willow or alder-bird was backlit)
Unidentified thrush-veery or hermit thrush (brief view before flitting into brush)

Merlins are definitely moving hard this week, I saw more merlins this week (3) than I've seen in a year.

I went back to that park early this week and the migrants, sadly, are gone (or at least I could not locate the flock again), but the winter residents are moving in. I saw yellow-bellied sapsuckers, brown creeper, and white-throated sparrows. Just waiting for the juncos to round them out!
I think the only birds I have ever seen on that list are the pine warbler and the Eastern towhee.

I just said to my husband yesterday, where are the juncos?! They seem to appear all at once one day. I guess it isn't cold enough for them yet. Maybe they are still enjoying the balmy weather in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature