Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 08:41 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You should ask the chickadees about the robins. Our chickadees won't shut up when I go outside into the back garden - mainly telling me off it seems.
They might have been asking you to join the flock!

Side question: have any of you ever had a pishing conversation with a titmouse? If they initiate the pish you can often go back and forth with them in syllables. Pishing mimics the alarm call given off by titmice and draws the attention and counter-vocalization from other birds at times, hence pishing can stir up chickadees, sparrows and wrens too. There's an etiquette and an ethic to it (not excessively, not near nesting sites, etc.), but it's cool and interesting in some circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM

343 posts, read 316,694 times
there are TONS of birds and squirrels in my area, so i enjoy seeing how they interact with each other as well as what they do outside. The squirrels must have a lot of fun running around trees and such. And for birds, well they can fly anywhere so that is cool.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:32 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
They might have been asking you to join the flock!

Side question: have any of you ever had a pishing conversation with a titmouse? If they initiate the pish you can often go back and forth with them in syllables. Pishing mimics the alarm call given off by titmice and draws the attention and counter-vocalization from other birds at times, hence pishing can stir up chickadees, sparrows and wrens too. There's an etiquette and an ethic to it (not excessively, not near nesting sites, etc.), but it's cool and interesting in some circumstances.
Never chatted with a titmouse, but the chickadees and I often go back and forth. I say, "chickadeedeedeedee" and they answer. I love it when they hop on a platform feeder and let me get really close. I love it more when they **** their head as if to say, Who are you and why are you disturbing my breakfast? They are very curious about the world and so darn cute.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Never chatted with a titmouse, but the chickadees and I often go back and forth. I say, "chickadeedeedeedee" and they answer. I love it when they hop on a platform feeder and let me get really close. I love it more when they **** their head as if to say, Who are you and why are you disturbing my breakfast? They are very curious about the world and so darn cute.
Agreed. They're cute as the dickens and good company throughout our long-ish winters. They come when I call them. They know I put out a good buffet.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Apparently, the automatic curse word-finder software does not like the word that means to turn one's neck in such a way that one's chin is up while one ear is down. LOL!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
An alternative is tilt or tilted.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
An alternative is tilt or tilted.

LOL. I will have to remember that so that the Big Bad C-D Curse Word Monster doesn't swallow an innocent bystander next time.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
The spring peepers are peeping here, in Dixie.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM

Really! Gosh, I am envious. That is the happiest sound in the world.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Coyotes in the yard last night, and a mountain lion wandered through this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature