U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 10:24 AM

3,273 posts, read 1,949,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Although we had an extremely warm February, I now know that Spring is really here because (a) my groundhog has come out and is sunning him (or her) self daily by the shed, and (b) the osprey are back. The osprey are the annual markers for true spring in the riverine area. I love their high-pitched calls!
LOL, I wish we only had one groundhog. We have a whole village of them, with multiple tunnels that have multiple entrances. I saw what I presume to be Mr. Groundhog trying to get randy with Ms. Groundhog a couple of weeks ago, but she wasn't quite ready. On the other hand, she didn't attack him, either. He has been acting very territorial, standing up on his hind legs all the time, making sure no interlopers get near his tunnel or his mate.

My electrician was here this morning, standing in my back doorway, talking to me, when he said, "That's a very bright red Robin!". Really, I said, and l looked. Of course, it was a male cardinal. It made me realize that not everyone is as into watching the birds as some of the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 05:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 991,195 times
Yesterday I had an osprey do a flyover with a nice size bass in it's claws. This morning while taking the boy to work I see a huge Great Blue Heron sitting on my roof. It took off the instant it saw me. Not being twenty feet away, one can really appreciate the size of them.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 PM

We had 2 black vultures on our shed the other day. It was the first time I noticed their black heads, as opposed to turkey vultures' red heads. I didn't even know we had black vultures in NJ until NJmmadude told me, and then these 2 show up! They weren't terribly afraid of me, and only flew away when I got very close. The feral cats were sitting on the ground, with their heads tilted back, staring wide-eyed at the birds. I could read their minds: "What is that GIANT bird?". The 2 birds, who I nicknamed Ike and Mike, flew into a nearby tree and stayed there until it was almost dark. I thought maybe they would roost overnight, but they did not. I have not seen them again.

Tonight I heard lots of peepers in the farm field and wet area behind our house. Then I heard one lonely peeper peeping at the nursery next door. I guess he found a puddle he liked. I reminded him that he still needed a girl peeper to find the puddle, too. He attained quite a volume with his solitary PEEP, PEEP, PEEP.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Yesterday I had an osprey do a flyover with a nice size bass in it's claws. This morning while taking the boy to work I see a huge Great Blue Heron sitting on my roof. It took off the instant it saw me. Not being twenty feet away, one can really appreciate the size of them.
The first time I saw a GBH flying, it was so large it actually scared me a bit (we had a new puppy at the time, and I was worried about him being in danger). I didn't know a thing about GBHs at that time. It reminded me of a pterodactyl. They hang out at a pond down the street, and once in a while, I walk by the pond and see them standing at the edge of the pond. Yes, they certainly are large.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,070,216 times
We had a big front roll through central Florida yesterday afternoon. I had never seen the sky like that before. The entire upper sky was black and thick but the middle horizon to the ground was a swirling jade color.

We had a humdinger of a storm.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,640,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
We had a big front roll through central Florida yesterday afternoon. I had never seen the sky like that before. The entire upper sky was black and thick but the middle horizon to the ground was a swirling jade color.

We had a humdinger of a storm.
I love it when nature still has the power to awe us, even in the days of CGI, special effects and virtual reality.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 11,646,107 times
On morning walk with the dogs, saw 8 bunny rabbits, 2 red tail hawks, a bald eagle, one buck and 3 doe deer.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,039,508 times
I heard the Pileated Woodpeckers that live out back for the first time yesterday, nice to know they're still around.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,039,508 times
Had this guy serenading us during this mornings coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVXQ...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-11-2017, 07:25 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,640,977 times
Saw a whole flock of Brant geese on the water. First time for me - I was scrutinizing them thinking "they aren't your garden variety Canada geese for sure". Looked them up when I got home. Handsome birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature