U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 07:42 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,294,871 times

Advertisements

Our flock of wild turkeys visits our yard every day. Over a dozen babies and 2 females peck away under my bird feeders and then leave. The other day, there were also 2 juvenile males displaying at each other. And when I went outside, a bunch of the babies panicked and were frantically trying to get under my fence. Then one got the bright idea: hey, I think these wings might come in handy right about now! Once one flew away, the others also flew away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 05:10 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,221,583 times
My patio umbrella is all wonky from a few too many windy days, so it tilts. I was sitting under it this morning with the "low side" over my head. Suddenly a little chickadee is hanging upside down from the edge of the umbrella, looking right into my face. I was surprised, but said, "Oh, hi, little friend!" And then it flew past my face 3 more times, so close that I could feel its little wingtips on my forehead. I think it was doing it to be sassy. I get such a kick out of those little birds.

I also gave a chipmunk some tiny little table grapes today and was he thrilled! I kept saying, "I wyke gwaypes!" probably to the point where the neighbors think there's something wrong with me.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:10 PM

2,725 posts, read 1,888,262 times
While hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park as few days ago I got an opportunity to observe a Pine Martin for a few minutes. Fascinating.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:42 AM

1,196 posts, read 697,359 times
Our new neighbor has some beautiful chickens that took a stroll into our yard. I don't what kind of chickens they are but they are colorful. The rooster crows proudly. I ran in to get my camera and when I came back out I met the new neighbor who was trying to round them up. Told him his chickens were beautiful and I enjoyed seeing them. Good first impression.

The turkeys are back.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,150,770 times
It only took me two years, but finally got a photo of this guy.

Hummingbird Moth.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM

3,893 posts, read 1,992,501 times
I left some Meow Mix in a small plastic container on the back step last night for the neighbor's cat (he eats at my house). At around 11 PM I looked out the back door and a huge raccoon was calmly munching away; at 4 AM I looked out again and there was a cute little possum. Apparently something else showed up later on, because all the cat food was gone this morning. The mushy strawberries that I had left out several nights ago finally disappeared as well, so the neighborhood critters are all pretty well-fed. The hummingbirds are also coming to the feeders every day in increasing numbers, but even though I have several feeders, they still fight and chase each other. I guess there's no way to keep them from being so aggressive.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
It only took me two years, but finally got a photo of this guy.

Hummingbird Moth.

Great photos! I have tried and tried to photograph them, but they never sit still long enough!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
My patio umbrella is all wonky from a few too many windy days, so it tilts. I was sitting under it this morning with the "low side" over my head. Suddenly a little chickadee is hanging upside down from the edge of the umbrella, looking right into my face. I was surprised, but said, "Oh, hi, little friend!" And then it flew past my face 3 more times, so close that I could feel its little wingtips on my forehead. I think it was doing it to be sassy. I get such a kick out of those little birds.

I also gave a chipmunk some tiny little table grapes today and was he thrilled! I kept saying, "I wyke gwaypes!" probably to the point where the neighbors think there's something wrong with me.
I love chickadees. They are sassy for sure. The other day, one of the feral cats that hangs around my yard had a chickadee under her paw. Fortunately, my husband noticed it and called me. I grabbed the cat (she lets me pick her up) and the chickadee flew away, saying "chickadee-dee". I'm sure if I translated that, it would have been something like "#!*$ you, cat!". My husband and I were joking that when the chickadee got back to its nest and told the other chickadees about the big cat that he escaped from, the others probably looked at each other and said, "Sure you did".

Old 08-09-2017, 07:02 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,400,665 times
Sitting on my patio this afternoon saw something out of the corner of my eye in the yard and it was a Badger wandering around. Thankfully my dogs were inside asleep. Badger wandered around a bit then went on his way into the back country behind my place. This is only the second one I've seen since I moved to Colorado 8 years ago.

Ok I have to...Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinkin Badgers!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:11 PM

3,893 posts, read 1,992,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Sitting on my patio this afternoon saw something out of the corner of my eye in the yard and it was a Badger wandering around. Thankfully my dogs were inside asleep. Badger wandered around a bit then went on his way into the back country behind my place. This is only the second one I've seen since I moved to Colorado 8 years ago.

Ok I have to...Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinkin Badgers!
Could you take a pic next time this happens, please? I'd love to see a badger close up IRL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature