Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM

782 posts, read 1,104,743 times

Advertisements

This happened a long time ago but my kids think it's so funny..they will prolly tell this story at my Funeral. So, it's early Sunday morning and I am drinking my morning tea on the porch (one of my fav things to do.) I see a new boulder in the yard and go over to investigate..it is a new deer..with spots and everything. It is so weak and pitiful..I take it into the house and try to call Animal Rescue..too early and it's Sunday. I make a makeshift bottle and try to feed it skim milk...it just runs out of it's mouth. Meanwhile the deer are gathering in the tree line...I take the poor thing over to my MIL's next door.. the deer follow me ..in the tree line...We do stuff like listen to it's heart..look in it's mouth.. run a light over it's eyes..can't really find an injury but it just lays there eyes all glazed over. I open the door to take the poor thing home and there is a deer on the porch looking in the window. The deer runs back to the middle of the lawn about 20 feet from the tree line. My husband tells me that might be it's mother and to lay it down close to her and see what happens. I tell him no I think she abandoned it because it's dying. But to humor him I start for the Momma deer...she bolts into the trees and you can hear the crashing as she is running for her life. I get to where the Momma was standing lay her dying baby on the ground and walk back to the house. I am standing by the house now and watching the baby. It is just where I left it hasn't moved an inch. I go back to pick it up since the Momma obviously did abandon it. I got almost close enough to touch it when it jumped up...shook itself and practicly flew into the trees. I have seen lots of stuff go from life to death but from death to life so fast?? Never. I was so startled that as I stepped back I fell landing square on my butt. My husband laughed so hard he had coffee coming out his nose. To this day I don't know if he was laughing at me or the baby deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:56 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,689,058 times
I like reptiles! Never have seen a pancake turtle, just photos. Very interesting...are all their internal organs FLAT??

Must be like a flounder-

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
A little alligator fear is healthy. But they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone. It does make me nervous when my cat tries to wander around outside. Hopefully he has enough sense to stay away from a gator, but you never know!

Now I can add my friend the giant toad, who was just hanging out on our front porch. And there's a really good sized black racer in the backyard who comes up and looks in our sliding glass door sometimes. Dh said he saw an enormous pancake turtle around the corner earlier today.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Well, it is funny, except at the time it appeared different to you! Wow, the deer on the porch, looking in....mom was doing what all mothers would-

Great husband reaction

I learned the hard way too....that nature takes care of its' own, and only very rarely needs our intervention-and that only due to actions of human beings.

Have a pleasant evening~

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
This happened a long time ago but my kids think it's so funny..they will prolly tell this story at my Funeral. So, it's early Sunday morning and I am drinking my morning tea on the porch (one of my fav things to do.) I see a new boulder in the yard and go over to investigate..it is a new deer..with spots and everything. It is so weak and pitiful..I take it into the house and try to call Animal Rescue..too early and it's Sunday. I make a makeshift bottle and try to feed it skim milk...it just runs out of it's mouth. Meanwhile the deer are gathering in the tree line...I take the poor thing over to my MIL's next door.. the deer follow me ..in the tree line...We do stuff like listen to it's heart..look in it's mouth.. run a light over it's eyes..can't really find an injury but it just lays there eyes all glazed over. I open the door to take the poor thing home and there is a deer on the porch looking in the window. The deer runs back to the middle of the lawn about 20 feet from the tree line. My husband tells me that might be it's mother and to lay it down close to her and see what happens. I tell him no I think she abandoned it because it's dying. But to humor him I start for the Momma deer...she bolts into the trees and you can hear the crashing as she is running for her life. I get to where the Momma was standing lay her dying baby on the ground and walk back to the house. I am standing by the house now and watching the baby. It is just where I left it hasn't moved an inch. I go back to pick it up since the Momma obviously did abandon it. I got almost close enough to touch it when it jumped up...shook itself and practicly flew into the trees. I have seen lots of stuff go from life to death but from death to life so fast?? Never. My husband laughed so hard he had coffee coming out his nose.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 AM

52,222 posts, read 33,917,037 times
this morning i rescued a 3 ft long corn snake that had parked itself in the middle of the road. it managed to nick my wrist before i turned it loose.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 AM

54,470 posts, read 33,753,310 times
Well.. since we're talking about things that fly... Here's my favorite bird.. The Boeing 767-300-ER.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Actually, here's a picture I took last year on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii, on the rural north side of the island, about 10 miles north of Honolulu. I know plenty about the birds that have propellers and jet engines, but not the ones with feathers... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a cardinal, and I think he was getting ready to go shopping!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,187,691 times
Uh, Mike....where's the picture???

I saw a pair of owls this morning on my walk. They're just beautiful.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Uh, Mike....where's the picture???

I saw a pair of owls this morning on my walk. They're just beautiful.
NoMoreSnow, there was a problem with the webserver I have the pictures on, but you can see them now.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Wonderful, uggabugga!

Well not the nip part , but you saved a bit of nature...snake by snake, or one-by-one!

......corn snakes are beautiful....MANY yrs ago my then boyfriend and I would go "snake hunting" but only to capture for him to keep for awhile in aquariums. My first find was the orange corn snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this morning i rescued a 3 ft long corn snake that had parked itself in the middle of the road. it managed to nick my wrist before i turned it loose.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Umm, a pilot...

I am not familiar w/Hawaii birds....this looks similar to a cardinal but they are all red...maybe someone who knows will chime in-pretty photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Actually, here's a picture I took last year on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii, on the rural north side of the island, about 10 miles north of Honolulu. I know plenty about the birds that have propellers and jet engines, but not the ones with feathers... Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a cardinal, and I think he was getting ready to go shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature