U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 07:06 AM

3,261 posts, read 1,941,217 times

Advertisements

Hey, GBH/BLACKBEARNC, nice to see you! Not sure why you had to change your screen name, but glad to see you, since you started this long, long thread a long, long time ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:04 AM

I rescued a praying mantis 2 days ago. One of my feral cats was batting it around. I got it to cling to a stick and then I carried the stick over to my daylily bed, which is pretty dense with greenery, and placed it in a suitable spot. I noticed its abdomen was very swollen, so I am guessing it was a female, ready to lay eggs soon. It's the right time of year for that. And praying mantises love to lay eggs on my daylilies, so it all worked out. Of course, being a cranky praying mantis, she did not thank me. LOL

Old 09-09-2017, 12:49 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
The neighborhood vixen came through at 5 AM today, screaming all the while. Usually she just goes down our street and then off into the woods, but today she went the length of the street, then doubled back and then went through my yard, checking out the stray cat's dish on the way (it was knocked off where I had put it, which the cat never does.) A couple of days ago she left scat in the feral cat's bowl at the back of the yard; I guess she was disappointed that I had not filled the bowl that night. It's interesting to hear her screaming, but it makes the cats jump up off the bed and start growling, plus I usually can't get back to sleep after hearing those unearthly sounds. This neighborhood is so silent at night that the screams are magnified and quite scary sounding. Still, it's cool to have a fox feel comfortable about roaming so freely.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:58 PM

118,676 posts, read 13,636,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I rescued a praying mantis 2 days ago. One of my feral cats was batting it around. I got it to cling to a stick and then I carried the stick over to my daylily bed, which is pretty dense with greenery, and placed it in a suitable spot. I noticed its abdomen was very swollen, so I am guessing it was a female, ready to lay eggs soon. It's the right time of year for that. And praying mantises love to lay eggs on my daylilies, so it all worked out. Of course, being a cranky praying mantis, she did not thank me. LOL
Bless your heart Lori
My husband and I saved one way back.It was sitting on a cottage cheese container in the grocery store.We took the poor chilled praying mantis outside amd it was able to warm up in the sunshine near a tree.

I love your posts Lori

Old 09-09-2017, 06:42 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
Quote:
Most praying mantises that you see along the east cost are mostly the invasive Chinese mantid. They eat beneficial pollinators like monarchs and other butterflies. So if you see a mantis larger than 4 inches or so, it is not in anyone's best interest to save it.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Bless your heart Lori
My husband and I saved one way back.It was sitting on a cottage cheese container in the grocery store.We took the poor chilled praying mantis outside amd it was able to warm up in the sunshine near a tree.

I love your posts Lori
I remember when you posted that story!

Thank you.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 AM

17,326 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Hey LoriNJ

Glad to be back. Posting name back to greatblueheron...

Saw doe and twin fawns this am...fawn spots almost gone

[/b]
Quote:
Hey, GBH/BLACKBEARNC, nice to see you! Not sure why you had to change your screen name, but glad to see you, since you started this long, long thread a long, long time ago!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:45 AM

15,559 posts, read 9,584,514 times
glad to see you back, greatblueheron. I missed you and wondered what happened.

almost stepped on a rather large garter snake yesterday. It was kind of sluggish so must be getting ready for winter.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:42 AM

THANKS, PAhippo!

This AM, while walking on stone steps by my house, one flat stone was covered with bits of hickory nut shells. Could imagine that squirrel working away, pieces flying here and there....a cleared area where maybe he sat while enjoying breakfast.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:57 PM

That crow photo is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Crow at sunset

Female Brown-Headed Cowbird, not the best pic, was taken through a screen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature