Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times

Advertisements

Love the turtle photo! Especially the little guy with his neck and his legs stretched out to catch as much sun as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:26 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Wonder if he uses that position for balance, too...?

Great pic

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Love the turtle photo! Especially the little guy with his neck and his legs stretched out to catch as much sun as possible.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:28 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
I count nine.

Great photo.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:33 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Be sure to let us know how that works out, LilyMae521.

Glad you care so much to do this...
[/b]
So, the bat houses arrived, we followed directions on box and painted them with water soluble paint, several coats in color appropriate to our neck of the woods (dark brown) Then we hung one on south wall, one on north wall. We did this yesterday, bats still sleeping in the louvers, but we reckon they just need more time.

One thing that did occur to us after we hung them is that they may really prefer the louvers, bc there is a nice warm airflow there all day... For now we will wait and see. I suggested to da boss that he rub some guano on the new house while he was up there hanging it. He refused, lol, so if we get to that, I guess that will be my job. (I'll wear gloves)

Anybody here have success with this? And if so, any ideas? How long did it take?

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:43 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
We saw three migrating cormorants on our walk today. Usually, we see one lone cormorant this time of year, but this time we saw three in the same tree.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM

My wildlife cameras showed doe and twin fawns, young buck, skunk, raccoon but no bears yet...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:54 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Some random cat was lying on my stoop like he owned the place. LOL

Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
What are yotes?

Are they coyotes?

Thanks.

Yes. Colloquial short talk for coyotes. We call them jack dogs around here too.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:00 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
A huge flock of dark-eyed juncos showed up in my yard today, so summer's really over, I guess.

Last week I had a crow in my yard who wasn't doing well. It flew into my neighbor's tree, but I could tell it was difficult for him or her to fly. I sat in my yard and talked to the crow and it flew back into my yard and sat on a tree limb above me. The crows are pretty used to me since I go out every day and give them food and "chat" with them. They often leave little rocks for me on my painting table.

This poor crow didn't move for about 6 hours and at one point I could tell it was no longer alive. I found it on the ground later that night as it was raining and blowing out. I picked it up and checked it over. It was definitely gone, so we buried it in our backyard the next day. A couple of days later, a murder of crows showed up and circled above my yard multiple times. They must have known that their friend/family member died. I felt kind of honored to have witnessed it.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:06 PM

You are so kind...to talk with the crows and bury them when needed....wish there were more people like you. It was a special thing to witness...

Special gifts, those rocks

A murder of crows...unusual, like a holiness of woodpeckers.

QUOTE=Nicci6Squirrels;49804746]A huge flock of dark-eyed juncos showed up in my yard today, so summer's really over, I guess.

Last week I had a crow in my yard who wasn't doing well. It flew into my neighbor's tree, but I could tell it was difficult for him or her to fly. I sat in my yard and talked to the crow and it flew back into my yard and sat on a tree limb above me. The crows are pretty used to me since I go out every day and give them food and "chat" with them. They often leave little rocks for me on my painting table.

This poor crow didn't move for about 6 hours and at one point I could tell it was no longer alive. I found it on the ground later that night as it was raining and blowing out. I picked it up and checked it over. It was definitely gone, so we buried it in our backyard the next day. A couple of days later, a murder of crows showed up and circled above my yard multiple times. They must have known that their friend/family member died. I felt kind of honored to have witnessed it.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature