U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:36 AM

5,170 posts, read 2,994,994 times

Advertisements

So. MN

Yesterday I saw a yellow shafted Northern flicker in our back yard. While my bird book says these are still fairly common from Alaska to Nicaragua, it's been a long time since I have seen one of these birds.

This bird did quite a bit of hovering around the suet feeder trying to intimidate a smaller downy woodpecker into rushing his meal but the little bird held his ground until he was done eating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 AM

LilyMae, I'm surprised that you have any birds left in your yard! Maybe the doves have a slow early warning system.

Usually when we have a hawk come for lunch we don't see any birds in our yard for several days. We have to chuckle how fast the word gets around. I have to wonder how the various varieties pass the word or if it's a matter of smell.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 PM

17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Beautiful post...
They are striking birds

UOTE=Lodestar;50164795]So. MN

Yesterday I saw a yellow shafted Northern flicker in our back yard. While my bird book says these are still fairly common from Alaska to Nicaragua, it's been a long time since I have seen one of these birds.

This bird did quite a bit of hovering around the suet feeder trying to intimidate a smaller downy woodpecker into rushing his meal but the little bird held his ground until he was done eating.

[/quote]

Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 987,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
So. MN

I have many Northern Flickers in my area, and yet have not seen a one at the feeders. I even use bug infused suet.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:40 PM

904 posts, read 389,537 times
Yes, lodestar, the picture of the yellow shafted northern flicker is beautiful. Thanks.

Agreed, the downy woodpeckers can certainly hold their own.

We have flickers (not sure what type, I'll have to take a closer look next time I see one. We're in southern CT) but we generally only see them feeding on the ground, bugs and such.

Re: birds coming back after a hawk attack - They seem to carry on as usual. The doves are timid in general and tend to come down to feed only as a group, which makes sense. Sometimes if we are sitting on the porch and we see them gathering in the trees above, we'll go in the house to give them some extra courage. Then they all come down for supper.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks for all the return posts. I didn't expect that.

I had forgotten how beautiful they are when they are in flight - all that gold on their underside - and was happy to find a photo which reflected that.

At this moment the yard is full of foraging bunnies. This summer was the Year of the Rabbit. We had so many baby bunnies in the yard all summer that I finally gave up on trying to rescue a lot of my bedding plants and just enjoyed the furry hoards.

We put our Emily cat down at the end of the summer and while I don't think she did much hunting anymore just her presence on the deck helped keep things in balance in our yard. Now our bunnies are bold. Attila the Bun?

Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Looks like I've made a fool of myself once again. Turns out I do have a photo of a Northern Flicker at the feeders.

Here's a Coopers Hawk having a Mourning dove dinner on my front lawn. I actually saw it pluck the dove from the tree, so here I run to grab the camera. I waited til s/he finished most of it before I snuck out the front door to snap a couple. Thankfully I didn't spook it. I think I posted this once before, but seeing as how photobucket is holding my pics hostage, I'll post it again.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:29 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,770,456 times
I had a hawk (most likely a Cooper's) smash straight into the patio sliding doors with a dove in its claw. I heard the crash from upstairs and ran down to see the dove breathing its last on the patio, and the hawk, stunned, not far off.

Just as I was trying to figure out how much danger I'd be exposing myself to if I went to check the hawk, it wobble-flew to a nearby tree, and flew off about an hour later.

The incident left a dove-print on the sliding glass door.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I had a hawk (most likely a Cooper's) smash straight into the patio sliding doors with a dove in its claw. I heard the crash from upstairs and ran down to see the dove breathing its last on the patio, and the hawk, stunned, not far off.

Just as I was trying to figure out how much danger I'd be exposing myself to if I went to check the hawk, it wobble-flew to a nearby tree, and flew off about an hour later.

The incident left a dove-print on the sliding glass door.
I have two cracked windows from hawk attacks. Both times it was going after a Red bellied woody. I've since planted a couple of bushes to hinder its flight of attack. It always comes in from the west, and lands on one particular branch before coming in for a breakfast grab.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,981 times
iv`e known that local birds that spend the winter in north bama like shelters to use so i clean out my old box nests every year .. but lately iv`e noticed the birds just sitting on top of the boxes .. this morning i went to see what the problem was and found two of the nests to be full of pecans ..my squirrell has been working overtime but how can he reach all the way down to the bottom of the box ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature