Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2017, 11:12 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Likely just hoards them not knowing reaching them to eat might not be possible...

UOTE=HOSS429;50172594]iv`e known that local birds that spend the winter in north bama like shelters to use so i clean out my old box nests every year .. but lately iv`e noticed the birds just sitting on top of the boxes .. this morning i went to see what the problem was and found two of the nests to be full of pecans ..my squirrell has been working overtime but how can he reach all the way down to the bottom of the box ?[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Wondering if bears are already in dens around here in the SE...haven't seen any lately. None on my nature cameras either...

Any of you have nature cameras set up on your property? Good way to know what's around at night or during the day when you are away. They are usually used by hunters, I believe...but there's no hunting on my land.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
I'm in east central WI, so it's getting cold and we've already had a day or two when it snowed. I noticed today, however, that my lilac bush has new leaves on it. Not a great idea, Bush.

I counted 16 squirrels in my yard today. I have spoiled them and word is getting around. I put black oil sunflower seeds out, peanuts in the shell, fresh water in a heated birdbath, fresh fruit, dried fruit, unsweetened peanut butter... I guess my goal is to have ALL the squirrels in town? (I love squirrels, so it's a good thing.) They come running AT me when I go into my yard because they know I have peanuts in my pocket. This is how a person gets a reputation as being a nut job, ya know.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:49 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Nicci, you're going to have to change your screen name to Nicci16Squirrels!

Keep up the good work.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 PM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Three Yellow-tailed black cockatoos visited my garden today.
Magnificent, large & very noisy birds.

Rainbow Lorikeets have been a constant presence since the start of Spring.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:04 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Nicci, you're going to have to change your screen name to Nicci16Squirrels!

Keep up the good work.
You might be right, LilyMae! I love my squirrels! There's a juvenile squirrel that is just the cutest little patoot. It's teensy and just tears through the sunflower seeds. Doesn't seem to care about the peanuts much. I had to laugh because my aim has gotten way too good lately. I bonked a squirrel right in the forehead with a peanut yesterday. He looked at me like, "Well, thanks, I think?" And then I did it again to another squirrel! I felt like I was really making the poor little things work for their food. I'm such a big meaniepants!

Old 11-23-2017, 05:35 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
So, it's Thanksgiving morning and what am I thankful for?

I'm thankful that we are able to draw critters in (with food and habitat) and then observe and be entertained by them. I'm thankful for what I have learned from these critters and I'm thankful for this thread where we can all share and learn from each other.

I would guess the critters are thankful for those odd and colorful yet hairless beasts that throw really caloric-rich food at them, or give them a ride on the clothes line while pulling it in to refill the suet cages, or make brush piles on the edge of the yard for critter housing.

And I'm thankful (and sometimes a little surprised) that with all the mistakes made over the years -in terms of the natural world - that we still have lively and thriving (if a little out of balance) communities of critters with which to share our lives.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 AM

Lovely post, LilyMae521...

I'm grateful too for our natural world and the amazing animals we get to enjoy, either near or from afar. They bring so much to my life...

It's not too late to take care of planet Earth and aid Mother Nature...my hope list includes: may we all do better, our best, to protect our wildlife and our natural surroundings.

Birds and squirrels getting extra seed today and some peanuts thrown in for their special meal

Happy Thanksgiving, nature friends...

QUOTE=LilyMae521;50207313]So, it's Thanksgiving morning and what am I thankful for?

I'm thankful that we are able to draw critters in (with food and habitat) and then observe and be entertained by them. I'm thankful for what I have learned from these critters and I'm thankful for this thread where we can all share and learn from each other.

I would guess the critters are thankful for those odd and colorful yet hairless beasts that throw really caloric-rich food at them, or give them a ride on the clothes line while pulling it in to refill the suet cages, or make brush piles on the edge of the yard for critter housing.

And I'm thankful (and sometimes a little surprised) that with all the mistakes made over the years -in terms of the natural world - that we still have lively and thriving (if a little out of balance) communities of critters with which to share our lives.[/quote]

Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Just saw a medium sized fox carry a cat in it's mouth across the road, I stopped because I actually didn't believe what I was watching. It even stopped right off the road to continue eating it. Very cool, not very cool for the cat's owner.

As a side note, you will always hear experts say this animal eats this and that animal eats that but as I have seen in nature, rules don't apply. I remember I saw a snowy owl in southern Wisconsin, I was told that's impossible. Now many years later snowy owls are now common in an area they have never been.

So if someone thinks they saw a Mountian Lion in Chicago or Connecticut, yeah they're probably wrong but you never know.

I also had a Coyote come right up to me within 4 ft and just turn the other way and leave. Now I was told they are scared of people and will run away at a sight of a human, not so.

It's nature anything goes.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:28 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Yuck.

Sometimes Nature Ain't Purty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature