U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM

2,680 posts, read 1,873,068 times

Advertisements

Had a northern water snake in the koi pond. We now have fewer fish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 03:16 PM

540 posts, read 687,947 times
Outside with our small dog today and heard crashing in the brush (we live in the woods on a few acres). All of a sudden what looked like a yearling deer goes running through our yard (no fences) and a HUGE coyote was hot on its trail.

Just confirmed why we don't let our dog run around without us - not ever! Plus we have lots of bald eagles.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:35 PM

26,661 posts, read 5,640,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Outside with our small dog today and heard crashing in the brush (we live in the woods on a few acres). All of a sudden what looked like a yearling deer goes running through our yard (no fences) and a HUGE coyote was hot on its trail.

Just confirmed why we don't let our dog run around without us - not ever! Plus we have lots of bald eagles.
Hope the little dear got away...

Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 PM

4,680 posts, read 3,309,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I just saw a hummingbird chase off a butterfly from a flower. There were plenty of flowers to go around! Mean hummingbird!
We see hummingbirds frequently flying up to our high rise condo balcony. Nearby is a small but heavily wooded city park with walking paths. Often times we see rabbits, possums and even skunks. Remarkable since we live in a densely populated city center location.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:28 AM

4,978 posts, read 4,492,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
FWIW......If I were in an area where Red Fox were acclimated enough that they were on my driveway, ......I would check with the AK. F&G Dept about the possibility of Rabies present in the Red Fox population in your area......
And I would definitely not let my cats out, particularly after dark, unless I was right next to them.
I have a friend who lost their cat to a Red fox that lived in a den that was under the Foundation for an unused out bldg on their property here in western MT.
There are no reports of rabies where I live.

My cats have 'lived' in the woods for over 17 years and have fared well. But now that they are older they are rarely out and straying too far. If they do go out at dusk, I keep an eye on them.

Thanks for your concern.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:51 PM

1,043 posts, read 477,570 times
Been listening to a couple of red hawks complaining for days that mom and dad kicked them out of the nest and stopped feeding them. They seem to be slow learners. Wonder why it takes them days to figure it out and most of the songbirds figure it out, seemingly, in hours...

Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 PM

2,972 posts, read 1,983,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Been listening to a couple of red hawks complaining for days that mom and dad kicked them out of the nest and stopped feeding them. They seem to be slow learners. Wonder why it takes them days to figure it out and most of the songbirds figure it out, seemingly, in hours...
Are the parent hawks still alive?

Old 07-18-2018, 03:34 PM

540 posts, read 687,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hope the little dear got away...
Not able to find out - they flew off into the woods on the other side of the yard. But sure hope so!

Old 07-18-2018, 03:53 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,037,626 times
I've been watching a towhee teach her little one how to find food at my feeders. It hops along behind her, she finds a seed, picks it up, and puts it in the baby's mouth. I love watching fledglings.

The other day, I was standing on the deck watching the feeders when something caught my eye down at my feet. I looked down and saw a baby raccoon peeking up at me from underneath the deck. Cutest little thing ever.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:55 PM

1,043 posts, read 477,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Are the parent hawks still alive?

Oh, yes. Everyone's been circling and dipping and squawking. The young ones seem to keep heading back to the nest. We see this behavior every year, so are pretty confident it is not distress, unless the requirement to fly the coop should be considered distress. ;-)

Correction - they are red tailed hawks, not red hawks.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 07-18-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature