U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 12:20 PM

17,396 posts, read 3,537,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
copperhead .. i see them from time to time here in north bama .. i ushered him on across the street with my stick .. i have no need to kill such wonderful critters
Very true...live and let live. It is poisonous though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:22 PM

[quote=uggabugga;52603352]saw this cool, huge spider with an egg sac yesterday

What kind is it? Colors and patterns are striking.

That's a VERY large egg sac....

Old 07-25-2018, 03:35 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Very true...live and let live. It is poisonous though...
it is venomous but rarely deadly to a healthy person .

Old 07-25-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,169,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
saw this cool, huge spider with an egg sac yesterday
Thank you for posting that spider photo............

All my life (in my 87th year), I have had a significant and unfounded fear of spiders...........and I really don't know why.
I have camped, hunted and fished hundreds of times,
over the last 80 some years in various locations (from southern AZ., through the Rockys, and on up to Alaska) in some extremely remote and deep wilderness locations, and always have exhibited this stupid fear of spiders.............

On a few occasions, I have been bitten by what very likely was some form of non piosonous spider that took any where from 6 to 20 days to heal.

Any way,.....with that background, I must admit to you, that if I ever was confronted with a spider like your photo. .......I simply don't know what effect it would have on me.

So,......would you please answer the following questions:

1.....is it a Poisonous Specie
2.....where did you encounter it (state etc)
3.....it's approx size,
4.....is it considered to be fairly common
5.....do you know what it is "called":..name or scientific designation.

Thank you very much.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:48 PM

23,873 posts, read 17,577,017 times
[quote=greatblueheron;52605833]
Quote:
saw this cool, huge spider with an egg sac yesterday

What kind is it? Colors and patterns are striking.

That's a VERY large egg sac....
wolf spider.
yes, it's an enormous egg sac, after the babies hatch out they hang around on the mothers back for awhile.
Wolf Spider Carrying Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Thank you for posting that spider photo............

All my life (in my 87th year), I have had a significant and unfounded fear of spiders...........and I really don't know why.
I have camped, hunted and fished hundreds of times,
over the last 80 some years in various locations (from southern AZ., through the Rockys, and on up to Alaska) in some extremely remote and deep wilderness locations, and always have exhibited this stupid fear of spiders.............

On a few occasions, I have been bitten by what very likely was some form of non piosonous spider that took any where from 6 to 20 days to heal.

Any way,.....with that background, I must admit to you, that if I ever was confronted with a spider like your photo. .......I simply don't know what effect it would have on me.

So,......would you please answer the following questions:

1.....is it a Poisonous Specie
2.....where did you encounter it (state etc)
3.....it's approx size,
4.....is it considered to be fairly common
5.....do you know what it is "called":..name or scientific designation.

Thank you very much.
sure.
it's a wolf spider, not poisonous. this one is in Maryland, probably 6-7 inch leg span, but ive seen bigger ones in Oklahoma. yes, they are fairly common but this is the biggest one I've ever seen here.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,169,580 times
[quote=uggabugga;52610481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

wolf spider.
yes, it's an enormous egg sac, after the babies hatch out they hang around on the mothers back for awhile.
Wolf Spider Carrying Babies

sure.
it's a wolf spider, not poisonous. this one is in Maryland, probably 6-7 inch leg span, but ive seen bigger ones in Oklahoma. yes, they are fairly common but this is the biggest one I've ever seen here.
Thanks for the response...............

Ya know, the older I get, the more I realize that some of us are fearful of certain things in life that don't bother "your neighbor" at all............and yet, the guy that would probably have a heart attack if he found a spider like that in his sleeping bag (Me), has no fear of encountering certain other living things that could kill you in a second...........EXAMPLE:

Several years ago on a Kodiak Grizzly Bear hunt, I surprised an eleven yr old Boar that was on a deer kill, and sensing my presence, he came at me in an instant in an all-out charge.
1st shot at about 80 yards hit nothing vital. 2nd shot at about 60 yards hit his sternum area and he still kept coming..........3rd shot broke his left shoulder and he went down at about 40 yards (that shoulder was what I was trying to hit in the 1st place),.....
My point is,.....i. was excited during this sequence of events, but not fearful of him or possibly suffering some injury.

Now if I woke up in my sleeping bag with one of those spiders crawling across my chest,.......I quite possibly would indeed have a heart sttack.

Crazy how we humans are 'wired mentally'!

Since I live in the woods out in the boonies here in Montana,.......out of habit, I shake-out my boots every morning before ever putting them on..........Nuts huh??

Have a good one............

Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 629,266 times
[quote=Montana Griz;52611507]
Quote:

Since I live in the woods out in the boonies here in Montana,.......out of habit, I shake-out my boots every morning before ever putting them on..........Nuts huh??

Have a .
\

Nuts if you lived in Manhattan; practical if you live in Montana.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Old 07-26-2018, 08:47 AM

[quote=Montana Griz;52611507][quote=uggabugga;52610481]

Thanks for the response...............

Ya know, the older I get, the more I realize that some of us are fearful of certain things in life that don't bother "your neighbor" at all............and yet, the guy that would probably have a heart attack if he found a spider like that in his sleeping bag (Me), has no fear of encountering certain other living things that could kill you in a second...........EXAMPLE:

Several years ago on a Kodiak Grizzly Bear hunt, I surprised an eleven yr old Boar that was on a deer kill, and sensing my presence, he came at me in an instant in an all-out charge.
1st shot at about 80 yards hit nothing vital. 2nd shot at about 60 yards hit his sternum area and he still kept coming..........3rd shot broke his left shoulder and he went down at about 40 yards (that shoulder was what I was trying to hit in the 1st place),.....
My point is,.....i. was excited during this sequence of events, but not fearful of him or possibly suffering some injury.

Now if I woke up in my sleeping bag with one of those spiders crawling across my chest,.......I quite possibly would indeed have a heart sttack.

Not nuts!

I know a surgeon who had to give up performing surgery after being bitten by a brown recluse, on the hand. It was in his garden glove when he put it on....

Old 07-26-2018, 12:53 PM

5,166 posts, read 2,994,994 times
The wolf spiders are setting up housekeeping in Southern MN. Seems a bit early for them this year. I always have one behind my mailbox in front and the wall planter near the kitchen door in the back.

When company's coming I'll inconvenience them by brushing their funnel door away. If no one is expected the mail person just has to contend with the web! It looks like heck but I get so much joy out of keeping track of my scary visitors. They never fail to startle me with their abrupt movements.

My mom always said she didn't like them because, "They stare at me." LOL That is a pretty creepy thought. Wonder what she thought they were thinking.

Last year was the Year of the Bunny around here and we've had an explosion in their population. My yard nearly always has a few and they are pretty tame now that we've had to put our fierce rabbit hunter, Emily, down.

Apparently the young squirrels and the young bunnies don't know they are different species. They gather in the early evening under my Japanese chokecherry tree and play tag together. It's quite amusing. Wonder if the bunnies are mystified by the tree climbing followed by the big pounce on the ground. It's a trick they can't master.

DH has been relocating chipmunks. So far he has caught six but I know there is a seventh!

I secretly think it's unfair to lure them in with all the animal treats around here and then the next they know they are down in the wildlife preserve without their friends and family. But he says eventually they will all be together again. I know this is not a good environmental practice and feel a little guilty about it. The only solution is to stop feeding the creatures altogether which is probably the best thing to do. But I don't see that happening any time soon so the destructive little cuties have to be exported.

He had one get into his work vehicle and totally ruin all the upholstery and wiring before he retired so he's got a "thing" about those guys.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:42 PM

2,365 posts, read 404,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Been listening to a couple of red hawks complaining for days that mom and dad kicked them out of the nest and stopped feeding them. They seem to be slow learners. Wonder why it takes them days to figure it out and most of the songbirds figure it out, seemingly, in hours...
We have had a young buzzard near us. I first saw it last week giving gas trying to catch swifts. Naturally it had no chance. I normally see this with young buzzards new out of the nest trying the same tactic with crows. As it turned away, I noticed it had distinct colors.

A few days ago I saw the same buzzard fly out of the tree I was under. It flew a few trees away, and as I approached with our dog, it did the same thing. At first I thought it was nervous about us, but then I saw the pigeons further away and on the floor. It was flying ever closer to the pigeons. But the pigeons finally saw the buzzard and away they flew.

Buzzards do the same, complaining when the parents no longer feed them, but from what I have seen, they soon learn new tricks when they finally know they are on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature