U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 AM

23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times

Advertisements

[quote=Montana Griz;52611507]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Thanks for the response...............

Ya know, the older I get, the more I realize that some of us are fearful of certain things in life that don't bother "your neighbor" at all............and yet, the guy that would probably have a heart attack if he found a spider like that in his sleeping bag (Me), has no fear of encountering certain other living things that could kill you in a second...........EXAMPLE:

Several years ago on a Kodiak Grizzly Bear hunt, I surprised an eleven yr old Boar that was on a deer kill, and sensing my presence, he came at me in an instant in an all-out charge.
1st shot at about 80 yards hit nothing vital. 2nd shot at about 60 yards hit his sternum area and he still kept coming..........3rd shot broke his left shoulder and he went down at about 40 yards (that shoulder was what I was trying to hit in the 1st place),.....
My point is,.....i. was excited during this sequence of events, but not fearful of him or possibly suffering some injury.

Now if I woke up in my sleeping bag with one of those spiders crawling across my chest,.......I quite possibly would indeed have a heart sttack.

Crazy how we humans are 'wired mentally'!

Since I live in the woods out in the boonies here in Montana,.......out of habit, I shake-out my boots every morning before ever putting them on..........Nuts huh??

Have a good one............
i think 95% of the arachnophobia that people have is learned rather than instinctive. I've never been particularly afraid of spiders but they did used to creep me out a little. after years of raising and handling them (mostly tarantulas, but also jumping spiders and black widows) they don't creep me out at all.

as for brown recluses, you shouldn't have to worry about them in montana, as that's well out of their range.

saw this big snapping turtle crossing the road this morning, the shell was about 20 inches long. it was limping, poor critter probably already got hit by a car at one time

Last edited by uggabugga; 07-27-2018 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 10:55 AM

17,354 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Just saw a tiny ring-necked snake, maybe 4 1/2 inches long, on the stone patio. They are very dark gray with a thin, yellow ring around the neck. Never seen many snakes this small, actually.

Even though I live in the woods, rarely see snakes...
anyone seen interesting snakes this season?

Old 07-29-2018, 06:01 AM

15,560 posts, read 9,584,514 times
now that you mention it, I haven't seen any.

finally saw an eft though.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:54 PM

1,716 posts, read 699,146 times
Got my local chipmunk to take nuts from my hand. Took one day to train him. I love how he sometimes puts his little hand on my finger to steady himself while he is eating.

Of course he loads up his cheeks and scurries off.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Got my local chipmunk to take nuts from my hand. Took one day to train him. I love how he sometimes puts his little hand on my finger to steady himself while he is eating.

Of course he loads up his cheeks and scurries off.
Oh, his little hand...how sweet

Old 07-30-2018, 09:33 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
I really wish the owls would come back here. We are getting over run by pigeons and mourning doves. We could use a hawk or two and some owls. It's a target rich environment herebouts.....

Old 07-30-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I really wish the owls would come back here. We are getting over run by pigeons and mourning doves. We could use a hawk or two and some owls. It's a target rich environment herebouts.....

What kind of owls do you have in NV??

Ps I just looked up owls in NV...depending on where you are, the barn owl looks quite common. You have those burrowing owls too. Neat. If you are in the Sierra Nevadas, guess you have plenty of owls...

Last edited by greatblueheron; 07-30-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-31-2018, 09:44 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
What kind of owls do you have in NV??

Ps I just looked up owls in NV...depending on where you are, the barn owl looks quite common. You have those burrowing owls too. Neat. If you are in the Sierra Nevadas, guess you have plenty of owls...
We have Great Horned owls too. I used to have a book that had all of the raptors in NV in it. We have just about every thing that flys for hawks ,owls and eagles.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:55 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
Have you ever seen a chipmunk playing with a little bunny?! They're out in my yard right now, playing like something out of a cartoon. I saw the chipmunk dart out of my zinnias and then suddenly a tiny bunny came running out, too. And the chipmunk *booped the bunny's nose with his nose. I've never seen anything like it. They seem to be having lots of fun out there.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Have you ever seen a chipmunk playing with a little bunny?! They're out in my yard right now, playing like something out of a cartoon. I saw the chipmunk dart out of my zinnias and then suddenly a tiny bunny came running out, too. And the chipmunk *booped the bunny's nose with his nose. I've never seen anything like it. They seem to be having lots of fun out there.

Booped his nose? You nicci6 see all the fun things outdoors. Of course, you are always watching!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature