U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 04:21 PM

2,692 posts, read 1,771,653 times

Advertisements

We have chipmunks. We have bunnies. I've never seen them play together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 AM

17,429 posts, read 3,547,315 times
It's raining now, smells so clean and fresh, windows open.

Rain brings out this other aroma that's hard to describe. Around mt. rhododendrons, the soil has a smell I think is wonderful. Usually it's moist soil or raining like now when I smell it. I believe it to be the humus, the naturally occurring composted organic matter under the rhodos that are in the woods. It is not the blooms.

No one knows what I'm talking about...?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 988,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's raining now, smells so clean and fresh, windows open.

Rain brings out this other aroma that's hard to describe. Around mt. rhododendrons, the soil has a smell I think is wonderful. Usually it's moist soil or raining like now when I smell it. I believe it to be the humus, the naturally occurring composted organic matter under the rhodos that are in the woods. It is not the blooms.

No one knows what I'm talking about...?
I know the smell/aroma you are talking about. I've always called it ozone.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I know the smell/aroma you are talking about. I've always called it ozone.
Why ozone??

Old 08-02-2018, 07:58 AM

1,730 posts, read 702,077 times
I was on my walk and saw what looked like a BIG eggshell in a ditch. It was a mottled beige color and about the size of a small child's ball. Bigger than a softball, smaller than a soccer ball. The ditch was steep and I am older and I did not dare go down and investigate for fear of twisting an ankle, but my curiosity was piqued. This was on a main road, not an area where eagles would nest, I don't think.

I could go back and take a picture if needed.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I was on my walk and saw what looked like a BIG eggshell in a ditch. It was a mottled beige color and about the size of a small child's ball. Bigger than a softball, smaller than a soccer ball. The ditch was steep and I am older and I did not dare go down and investigate for fear of twisting an ankle, but my curiosity was piqued. This was on a main road, not an area where eagles would nest, I don't think.

Wow....maybe someone will have a good guess. Vultures, hawks, eagles, etc should have the largest eggs.
When chicks hatch, the mother removes shell pieces from out of the nest, maybe that's how the broken shell got there.

Or if you are near the coast, herons, large wading birds perhaps...?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:19 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,771,653 times
Puzzler! Ostrich eggs are plain beige, no mottling I believe....they wouldn't be found in NE, but some stores sell the eggs.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM

1,655 posts, read 630,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post

Sure it was an eggshell and not a piece of discarded plastic or maybe a big mushroom?--or maybe someone lost their camouflage tin-foil hat?

after-thought--- you weren't wearing your +2.50 cheaters, were you? That's pretty big for an egg.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM

All this week, I've been listening to the Broad-winged Hawks that live in the mixed forest around me. They have a loud, high pitched whistle... ke-eeeeeee.

Info says they use the whistle while perched on the nest or in flight. But no place can I find if it is an alert or alarm call, hunting call or just communication call. Maybe it's all of them.

Anyone know?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:48 AM

1,098 posts, read 390,626 times
Saw a stray cat in my neighborhood for the first time in months. I used to see them around all the time but lately, they have been scarce. I wonder what's happening to them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature