U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 PM

90 posts, read 154,997 times

Advertisements

I saw a barn owl the other night while I was at work. It was perched on the wires stretching its wings; so amazing. I've lived in the area all my life and this is the first time I've seen one. They are the most gorgeous owls. Love them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM

17,641 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It IS fascinating and a bit frightening.

Well, I do hope someone can set me straight because I just did a quick google and found in several places that wolf spiders don't spin webs. Yet these guys have been coming in the late summer for years and I've always thought they were wolf spiders. That's what they look and act like. Quick and largish. A brownish dark grey.

It's not a conventional web. More like a mass of fibers with a tunnel in it. Southern MN. Any idea what kind of spider it is?

I took a picture but it was in shadow.

There are several people that frequent this thread that would know....

Old 09-02-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina_yucaipa View Post
I saw a barn owl the other night while I was at work. It was perched on the wires stretching its wings; so amazing. I've lived in the area all my life and this is the first time I've seen one. They are the most gorgeous owls. Love them

I agree...gorgeous owl....you are lucky to save seen him.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM

23,930 posts, read 17,598,784 times
Quote:
It IS fascinating and a bit frightening.

Well, I do hope someone can set me straight because I just did a quick google and found in several places that wolf spiders don't spin webs. Yet these guys have been coming in the late summer for years and I've always thought they were wolf spiders. That's what they look and act like. Quick and largish. A brownish dark grey.

It's not a conventional web. More like a mass of fibers with a tunnel in it. Southern MN. Any idea what kind of spider it is?

I took a picture but it was in shadow.
funnel weavers can get pretty big but not as big as wolf spiders. could be that?

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/ent-76

Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM

73 posts, read 175,085 times
Agelenidae: Funnel Web Spider

Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,006,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
funnel weavers can get pretty big but not as big as wolf spiders. could be that?

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/ent-76
One-hundred and eleven species! No wonder it's a challenge. But the article says that the funnel weavers tend to have a pointed abdomen in contrast to the wolf spiders whose abdomen is more roundish.

My guest has been absent lately but if I see him again I'll check for this marker.

Thanks, uggabugga.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
One-hundred and eleven species! No wonder it's a challenge. But the article says that the funnel weavers tend to have a pointed abdomen in contrast to the wolf spiders whose abdomen is more roundish.

My guest has been absent lately but if I see him again I'll check for this marker.

Thanks, uggabugga.
Those stripes on the back are telling....maybe you'll see them for the id.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM

906 posts, read 391,174 times
I'm happy today and want to share something re: the bat houses we hung last year.

The one we hung on the south wall of our house (kind of for the nursery, bc it would be plenty warm) is so high up that we cannot see if any bats are in it.

Well, this is the time of year for spider webs (speaking of spiders) and today I noticed that in one of the really large spider webs (that is kind of laying on the top of the shrubbery along the south wall just below the bat house, as it happens) there is a lot of bat guano. So they are using the nursery! Smart little critters.

Of note, we can count nine in the other house that we hung on the north wall. Before we put up the houses, the most we ever counted was four or five.

So seems like they had a good season.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I'm happy today and want to share something re: the bat houses we hung last year.

The one we hung on the south wall of our house (kind of for the nursery, bc it would be plenty warm) is so high up that we cannot see if any bats are in it.

Well, this is the time of year for spider webs (speaking of spiders) and today I noticed that in one of the really large spider webs (that is kind of laying on the top of the shrubbery along the south wall just below the bat house, as it happens) there is a lot of bat guano. So they are using the nursery! Smart little critters.

Of note, we can count nine in the other house that we hung on the north wall. Before we put up the houses, the most we ever counted was four or five.

So seems like they had a good season.

Awesome Lilymae....glad you got a good response!! Enjoy observing them and helping them out.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:01 AM

1,110 posts, read 393,028 times
Saw a rabbit hopping down the sidewalk like he belonged there. LOL I have been seeing a lot of rabbits in my neighborhood lately and I don't even live in a rural area. The rabbits have replaced the cats. I hardly ever see any stray cats running around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature