U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 02:11 PM

412 posts, read 177,605 times

Advertisements

Being in SWLA, trees are still green. Except for a few. Noticed the American Sycamores (not all, just some) change to a lighter green in August. Some Tallow, Red Maples, Sweetgum and Hickory has been turning red. I love it. Heading north next month, hopefully. Wanting to see some beautiful fall colors!!!

Just the other night, I took out my frogging light. Looked around, checking on our animals. They were good. A small opossum graced me with his presence. Have 6 goats, 8 chickens, pair of Black Turkeys, pair of guineas and a wood duck. Getting him a gal pal soon so he won't be too lonely. Had 1 cat, but 9 more (the ms and her kittens) adopted us.

Been raining a lot lately on my end. Yard is soaked and muddy. Waiting for it to dry up and *fingers crossed* cut our 3 acres 1 more time this year.

Been riding around town and the country to stock pile some wood. During the winter and fall I love to cook outside. And yep, make some fires in my pit. Have my gun with me, if I see anything in season, say some dove, rabbit, duck and geese, I'll bag it and throw it on the pit. Wife done caught me with a duck, when she came home from work.

Haven't been seeing many spoonbills lately. (Roseate) Beautiful birds. But with the coming seasons, I'll be seeing a lot of snipe and woodcock. Every now and then I'll see some quail.

Oh, forgot to mention, I started a leaf catalog. I take leaves of trees, dry them out and tape them on paper. I write out the name, including the botanical name. Just started this hobby. If we do head north, gonna snag some leaves in color as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 07:45 AM

2,489 posts, read 423,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Being in SWLA, trees are still green. Except for a few. Noticed the American Sycamores (not all, just some) change to a lighter green in August. Some Tallow, Red Maples, Sweetgum and Hickory has been turning red. I love it. Heading north next month, hopefully. Wanting to see some beautiful fall colors!!!

Just the other night, I took out my frogging light. Looked around, checking on our animals. They were good. A small opossum graced me with his presence. Have 6 goats, 8 chickens, pair of Black Turkeys, pair of guineas and a wood duck. Getting him a gal pal soon so he won't be too lonely. Had 1 cat, but 9 more (the ms and her kittens) adopted us.

Been raining a lot lately on my end. Yard is soaked and muddy. Waiting for it to dry up and *fingers crossed* cut our 3 acres 1 more time this year.

Been riding around town and the country to stock pile some wood. During the winter and fall I love to cook outside. And yep, make some fires in my pit. Have my gun with me, if I see anything in season, say some dove, rabbit, duck and geese, I'll bag it and throw it on the pit. Wife done caught me with a duck, when she came home from work.

Haven't been seeing many spoonbills lately. (Roseate) Beautiful birds. But with the coming seasons, I'll be seeing a lot of snipe and woodcock. Every now and then I'll see some quail.

Oh, forgot to mention, I started a leaf catalog. I take leaves of trees, dry them out and tape them on paper. I write out the name, including the botanical name. Just started this hobby. If we do head north, gonna snag some leaves in color as well.
What is a frogging light, please?

Old 10-04-2018, 09:40 AM

18,042 posts, read 3,643,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post

to your leaf catalog...enjoyed your post.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:32 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,937,493 times
The weather is cooling down here. The houses that butt up against the mountains are having bear and coyote problems. There may even be a cat (mountain lion type) lurking about. They are masters of not being seen.

There's quite a few CA city types transplants up there and manyof them are putting out food for the yotes (bad idea) and it has attracted other now problem animals as well. No cat reports but bears don't lurk like cats do. They just sorta bull right in. After eating what was put out for the yotes they then proceed into the garbage cans. They care not about the mess they leave. They're just wired that way.

So now the people who have been putting out food are screaming for Dept of Wildlife to "do something". (sigh) the stupidity never ends. Reckon you just can't fix stupid. NDOW is just doing the and shrugging. They estimate there are 6000 bears up in them thar hills on this side of the Sierras between here and Reno alone. More further South. But city folks have no clue how to co exist with wildlife. To many Disney movies maybe. Especially bears and yotes. There's even complaints now of the deer who have come down low and are browsing irrigated landscaping. LOL.

Only a matter of time before some irate CA transplant gets hurt trying to run off a big four point buck in rut that has does with him. And are munching on the apple and cherry trees and such that folks have and messing up precious lawns. It ain't the animals fault folks. Time to get educated.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Can stupid be educated?

Putting out food for wild animals should be rule one...DON'T DO IT.
Don't approach wild animals for any reason, particularly a selfie or to rouse the animal...rule two.

If people don't like to coexist with wild animals they should leave to go to a city. We are the ones taking over their habitats. I coexist with wild animals, bear, deer etc. and feel honored to do so. You must take some precautions but that's a small trade off.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:20 PM

412 posts, read 177,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
What is a frogging light, please?
Hahaha...sorry about that. Hand held q beam light. Use it to go hunt bullfrogs at night when in season. We eat the legs. Fry them down. Make sure to cut the nerve at the knee. They will jump out of the pot! Tastes like fried chicken. Seriously!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:08 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Can stupid be educated?

Putting out food for wild animals should be rule one...DON'T DO IT.
Don't approach wild animals for any reason, particularly a selfie or to rouse the animal...rule two.

If people don't like to coexist with wild animals they should leave to go to a city. We are the ones taking over their habitats. I coexist with wild animals, bear, deer etc. and feel honored to do so. You must take some precautions but that's a small trade off.

This is happening on the outskirts of Caron City. The state capitol. But we're not a super huge metro area. It's not uncommon at all for a herd of deer to be seen on the lawns of the capitol grounds and the legislature. I'm really surprised a cat hasn't been prowling about and gotten reported.

The critters don't bother me any. Lived all my life dealing with them. It does bother me when these people create a problem and then scream at the state to clean up their mess.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:40 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,150,014 times
This morning we had a rafter of Eastern Wild turkeys down by the pond. Later, a still spotted fawn was eating under the apple trees.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:09 PM

rafter of turkeys! love it....

my favorite: a holiness of woodpeckers...

Old 10-05-2018, 09:52 PM

4,125 posts, read 2,085,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
rafter of turkeys! love it....

my favorite: a holiness of woodpeckers...
A tidings of magpies
An exaltation of larks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature