U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 PM

4,072 posts, read 2,059,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
rafter of turkeys! love it....

my favorite: a holiness of woodpeckers...
A tidings of magpies
An exaltation of larks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 07:57 AM

2,693 posts, read 1,772,657 times
A murder of crows?

Old 10-06-2018, 12:30 PM

905 posts, read 390,437 times
A hill of beans.

Not really on topic, but it just came into my head and I couldn't resist.

I heard the expression- "That doesn't add up to a hill of beans" a lot when I was growing up.

I wonder if a holiness of woodpeckers comes from the fact that they drill so many holes. ;-)

Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM

5,530 posts, read 1,664,377 times
When I got home from work a short while ago I saw what I think was a Hairy woodpecker at my suet feeder. It looked bigger than a Downy. I know that's not a big deal, but I don't think I'd seen Hairies at my feeders yet. If it was indeed a Hairy, that brings to 4 the number of woodpecker species I've seen at my feeders: Downy, Red-bellied, Flicker and now a Hairy.

If that wasn't enough, about 5 seconds after the woodpecker flew away I noticed what appeared to be a juvenile Cooper's hawk sitting on my back fence. At one point it flew right over toward my bird feeders and perched atop one of them about 3 feet from my kitchen window, right in front of me. It flew away when I picked up my cat to try to show her the hawk in the window.

A couple years ago I saw a Cooper's out in the trees along my street in front of my house. At around that time I also once saw a flurry of what appeared to be Mourning dove feathers in the middle of my backyard, it looked just as if it was pounced on by a hawk. Undoubtedly the hawk is attracted to the birds at my feeder ... which sounds kinda cruel I suppose, but it's OK with me because I get an even wider variety of birds in my yard that way!

Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 PM

3,849 posts, read 2,903,940 times
Three miles inland from the ocean. Sometimes a few seagulls find their way to our place. Wheel and glide through the sky. By sunset they always return to the coast.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 PM

17,506 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
When I got home from work a short while ago I saw what I think was a Hairy woodpecker at my suet feeder. It looked bigger than a Downy. I know that's not a big deal, but I don't think I'd seen Hairies at my feeders yet. If it was indeed a Hairy, that brings to 4 the number of woodpecker species I've seen at my feeders: Downy, Red-bellied, Flicker and now a Hairy.

If that wasn't enough, about 5 seconds after the woodpecker flew away I noticed what appeared to be a juvenile Cooper's hawk sitting on my back fence. At one point it flew right over toward my bird feeders and perched atop one of them about 3 feet from my kitchen window, right in front of me. It flew away when I picked up my cat to try to show her the hawk in the window.

A couple years ago I saw a Cooper's out in the trees along my street in front of my house. At around that time I also once saw a flurry of what appeared to be Mourning dove feathers in the middle of my backyard, it looked just as if it was pounced on by a hawk. Undoubtedly the hawk is attracted to the birds at my feeder ... which sounds kinda cruel I suppose, but it's OK with me because I get an even wider variety of birds in my yard that way!

Woodpeckers

I've had hawks near my feeders too. Since they must eat, so be it.
Just hope I don't see it.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 PM

17,506 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Three miles inland from the ocean. Sometimes a few seagulls find their way to our place. Wheel and glide through the sky. By sunset they always return to the coast.
I love watching gulls...wheel and glide is right!

Old 10-12-2018, 03:55 PM

2,693 posts, read 1,772,657 times
The gulls came in really low here in my yard one summer. About 15-20 feet off the ground. It spooked me a little.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:47 PM

57 posts, read 8,059 times
Default Animals playing

Two examples come to mind. A few years ago, I witnessed my neighbors big black lab and a yearling whitetail deer chasing each other around a large stand of brambles at the edge of a swamp here in CNY. The dog would chase the deer one way, stop and the deer would chase the dog back the other way. At first I thought it was predatory behavior on the part of the dog, but as it went on, it became clear that there was a playful thing going on. Eventually, the dog tired of the activity and walked off, the deer stood there for a minute, then also walked off in the opposite direction. Very odd and rare behavior for both animals. I knew the dog, it was about 7 years old, it was spring and the female deer looked like a yearling.

While hiking a wilderness trail in central Florida, as dusk, I watched a large bobcat step out on the trail, sit down, and as typical of cats, take an emergency bath. It then walked under a barbed wire fence, and into a large open field and suddenly lay down on its belly in a small depression. Then I noticed a mature white tail deer doe slowly approach the spot where the cat lay. I thought I was about to see the cat try to take the deer down, but instead the cat sprung at the deer, the deer ran off a few yards, turn and run toward the cat, which also ran back a few feet. The played this game for about 15 minutes, then it ended as quickly as it begun, as they both gave up the game and walked off in different directions. It was very similar to the dog and deer even I witnessed at home in CNY. As a long time bow hunter, spending a lot of time over 30 years, stock still high in a tree, I have seen many unusual types of animal behavior. But its only unusual because most of the time we are not there, in a condition to observe it. Put yourself out there, and you will see some wonderful things.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:25 PM

5,530 posts, read 1,664,377 times
^
Somewhat related to that, I am absolutely certain squirrels taunt cats to get them to chase them, just for the fun of it. In fact I saw what had to be an instance of that a couple weeks ago. Squirrel went right up to a cat, went up on its hind legs right in front of the cat as if to say, "Aha! Come get me!" and then ran off with the cat chasing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature