U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 09:58 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,928,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wasnít sure where to put this, but we found out a chicken can die of a heart attack.

Our son and DIL have 5 chickens and a really mean rooster named Big Boy. Big Boy had to go. Their vet put them together with a person looking for a rooster. My son is deployed, so a few friends offered to take the rooster to itís new home. Big Boy was very hard to catch, but after a chase, he was captured in a ventilated cardboard box. All of a sudden, the box went still. Big Boy had expired.

Everyone is glad heís gone, but nobody wanted him to die. We hear he was delicious.

Oh yea...chickens will stress themselves unto death.I was staying on a buddy's place once and the chicken coop was right outside the window of the bedroom I was in. It was plumb dark out and I was peacefully snoozing when the cluckers just went nuts. Raising Cain and caterwalling. I got up and opened up the back door and here was a gorgeous female Great Horned owl with one of the roosters pinned down. Wings out all flared.

She hadn't killed it and I spooked her so she took off. (this was also a problem rooster and I would have let her have it). The rooster did get up and took off running blindly, smacked into the coop wall and POOF died on the spot. Chickens don't deal with stress well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 12:09 PM

92 posts, read 11,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
^
Somewhat related to that, I am absolutely certain squirrels taunt cats to get them to chase them, just for the fun of it. In fact I saw what had to be an instance of that a couple weeks ago. Squirrel went right up to a cat, went up on its hind legs right in front of the cat as if to say, "Aha! Come get me!" and then ran off with the cat chasing it.

Oh, no doubt, a couple of years ago at our home in Florida, every morning a squirrel would traverse the entire 20 length of screen on our Florida room, just to torment our cat, who would invariably go after it, tearing up the screen in the process. The squirrel could have more easily used the roof instead of the screen, but obviously was not as much fun.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:06 PM

23,980 posts, read 17,627,832 times
last night the chickens were clucking something fierce, enough to make the cat sleeping on my arm dig his claws in and wake me up. so i grab a flashlight and go outside. something smallish is moving past the chicken coop.
it was a possum. he just stopped and sat there, so i lowered the chicken waterer that i was carrying toward him, and he 'played possum.' for just a few seconds though. then he moseyed off.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:15 AM

I don't think opossums will actually kill chickens. We have them here and I've never experienced or heard tell off them being a problem. They might go after eggs or dig in garbage cans but they aren't a predator like coyotes are with domestic animals. They are a pretty nasty animal when cornered. Teeth all the way front front to back. Hiss and growl and yowl. Some friends of ours had one in their garage and had to call animal control to remove it. They didn't want to just shoot it or something (which would have been the simplest route) but the county animal cops came and got it for them. LOL, they didn't want to get near the critter. He was most ....displeased.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:23 AM

13,216 posts, read 10,619,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't think opossums will actually kill chickens. We have them here and I've never experienced or heard tell off them being a problem. They might go after eggs or dig in garbage cans but they aren't a predator like coyotes are with domestic animals. They are a pretty nasty animal when cornered. Teeth all the way front front to back. Hiss and growl and yowl. Some friends of ours had one in their garage and had to call animal control to remove it. They didn't want to just shoot it or something (which would have been the simplest route) but the county animal cops came and got it for them. LOL, they didn't want to get near the critter. He was most ....displeased.
Opossums, in general, are shy and hard to see other than when they are killed on our roads. It is only when they decide to use our space for their needs that we usually make contact.

While we are hearing that opossums have fleas that spread typhus in the South West; they are known to be beneficial against Lyme disease in our area: https://blog.nwf.org/2017/06/opossum...-lyme-disease/. So I am a little confused whether they are hero's or villians?

Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Opossums, in general, are shy and hard to see other than when they are killed on our roads. It is only when they decide to use our space for their needs that we usually make contact.

While we are hearing that opossums have fleas that spread typhus in the South West; they are known to be beneficial against Lyme disease in our area: https://blog.nwf.org/2017/06/opossum...-lyme-disease/. So I am a little confused whether they are hero's or villians?

They are very nocturnal so they do stay out of sight well. I guess I'm pretty neutral on opossums. They certainly aren't on my no tolerate list. They just don't really cause any major problems. We also get coons, skunks and porcupines wandering through and they haven't messed with me either.

Coyotes top my extreme prejudice list. They make life hard for my barn cats and I happen to like my barn cats. Something I find interesting is that many folks here consider bobcats to be in the same class as coyotes. In my entire life I have never had an issue with the bobbies. Not once. I can't bring myself to get nasty with them. I think they're cool. , Coyotes not so much. They top the problem child list.

I pretty much peacefully coexist with the wildlife. There have been times that war was declared but all in all most of our critters are not a problem. Coyotes and mountain lions that have taken to killing cattle and sheep have been our biggest issue with wild predators. I saw a bumper sticker recently that sad "Eat lamb. 50 million coyotes can't be wrong." LOL, yea, I reckon so.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 AM

13,216 posts, read 10,619,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
They are very nocturnal so they do stay out of sight well. I guess I'm pretty neutral on opossums. They certainly aren't on my no tolerate list. They just don't really cause any major problems. We also get coons, skunks and porcupines wandering through and they haven't messed with me either.

Coyotes top my extreme prejudice list. They make life hard for my barn cats and I happen to like my barn cats. Something I find interesting is that many folks here consider bobcats to be in the same class as coyotes. In my entire life I have never had an issue with the bobbies. Not once. I can't bring myself to get nasty with them. I think they're cool. , Coyotes not so much. They top the problem child list.

I pretty much peacefully coexist with the wildlife. There have been times that war was declared but all in all most of our critters are not a problem. Coyotes and mountain lions that have taken to killing cattle and sheep have been our biggest issue with wild predators. I saw a bumper sticker recently that sad "Eat lamb. 50 million coyotes can't be wrong." LOL, yea, I reckon so.
I think what hurts opossums is their looks. They look like large rats, with long tails, and a face only a mother would love. But their 'bark' is worse than their bite. They would be happy if they never saw a human; unless they can get some free food. When I was a truck driver I also loved free food!

Your Western coyotes are smaller than ours. Thirty years ago we never saw any coyotes and then they moved in quickly. Some of us feel they might have had some help since many wanted to cut down or cull our deer herds. After they moved into our area our deer herds were decimated. They are starting to rebound to some degree; but we still have coyotes. I think I saw one yesterday on my property; but I did not get a good look.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:21 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,915,208 times
Yay! American kestrels are back in south Florida! Let the kleekleeklee begin.

Usually don’t see them here for another 2-3 weeks.

Old 10-26-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I think what hurts opossums is their looks. They look like large rats, with long tails, and a face only a mother would love. But their 'bark' is worse than their bite. They would be happy if they never saw a human; unless they can get some free food. When I was a truck driver I also loved free food!

Your Western coyotes are smaller than ours. Thirty years ago we never saw any coyotes and then they moved in quickly. Some of us feel they might have had some help since many wanted to cut down or cull our deer herds. After they moved into our area our deer herds were decimated. They are starting to rebound to some degree; but we still have coyotes. I think I saw one yesterday on my property; but I did not get a good look.

Our yotes out here have gotten a lot bigger. I saw one recently that I thought was somebodies large dog. We also have an issue with crossing with feral dogs which has kinda made a new class of varmint. Yotes are the ultimate survivalists. They thrive around people. I don't sweat coyotes out in the pastures catching gophers and jack rabbits. That' a valuable service.

But when they go after my barn cats or otherwise invade my space which they are wont to do my response is lethal. I had one once who crossed my yard coming out of my pasture with a jack rabbit in his mouth. He had safe passage. But if he had one of my cats I would have dropped him.

My non aggression pact with the wildlife doesn't include coyotes that cross the line.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM

17,867 posts, read 3,614,367 times
We saw a white squirrel here last weekend...they are white with a gray spot between the ears...only seen in my county of NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature