U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 03:39 PM

20,167 posts, read 4,291,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A Northern Pygmy Owl calmly perched on a post around mid-day today. It was awake but barely moved during the several minutes we looked at it. Pretty little thing.

Well, aren't you the lucky one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 05:15 PM

2,764 posts, read 1,847,467 times
Around here, we usually see does, fawns, or young male deer, but a couple of days ago, I spotted a three or four-point buck in a field (was passing by in a car, moving too fast to get an exact count).

Old 12-16-2018, 05:42 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,006,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good show, and just for you!

For some reason, I particularly love those birds...
Yes. I’ll never forget the first time I (knowingly) saw one. He flew right in front of my truck and time just stopped. I thought he was the most beautiful creature.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:46 AM

13,471 posts, read 11,142,137 times
This is the time of year herebouts that some critters become more active and others go ghost. The yotes are really active and the cats get that way to. Deer are working hard foraging as are rabbits. Birds to of course but many species of birds have vamoosed for parts South. My son just sent me some pics of a herd of antelope he came across while out exploring on the West side of the Wassuks.

Here in Carson where I currently reside the West side upper end neighborhoods see a lot of deer coming in to browse and up by the hospital I saw three yotes running together the other day. That's rather unusual as pairs and singles are the norm. There's a big old cottwood back up that way I visit frequently as the buzzards roost there and shed lots of big tough feathers I use to make my arrows with. Thank you very much! lol

Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This is the time of year herebouts that some critters become more active and others go ghost. The yotes are really active and the cats get that way to. Deer are working hard foraging as are rabbits. Birds to of course but many species of birds have vamoosed for parts South. My son just sent me some pics of a herd of antelope he came across while out exploring on the West side of the Wassuks.

Here in Carson where I currently reside the West side upper end neighborhoods see a lot of deer coming in to browse and up by the hospital I saw three yotes running together the other day. That's rather unusual as pairs and singles are the norm. There's a big old cottwood back up that way I visit frequently as the buzzards roost there and shed lots of big tough feathers I use to make my arrows with. Thank you very much! lol

Lots of deer, rabbits, etc. here too. I've only seen one coyote here and unfortunately it was rabid. Called animal control but when they got here he was gone...he was so very ill it was heartbreaking, hope he soon died back here in the woods.

No bears this year! Or at least I didn't see one...but they were here, anytime all my stones from the patio are overturned I know they've been here.

Saw yesterday one of our white squirrels....

Old 12-22-2018, 11:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 539,534 times
I keep seeing a monster Gator sunning alongside a pond here in Venice, FL. Its at least 10 feet long, no more than 12. They must know its there because there 2 WARNING ALLIGATOR signs near the pond. It looks like a dinosaur.

I see smaller gators daily. There's 1 in just about every pond in our neighborhood.

I've seen 2 wild pigs here too, and there's currently turf damage from a family of them behind our model homes across a pond. They tear up grass like you've never seen before.

I saw a Bobcat while biking along the Legacy Bike Trail in Sarasota, and a nice size Buck w/ a nice rack. Lots of Gopher Tortises there too.

I see Bald Eagles all the time down here atop the highest electrical tower poles. I see entire family's and I know where some of the nests are. There's a nest next to the Venice Airport that was active last year.

When ponds here in Florida get low, Hundreds of White and Pink birds (who are filter feeders) congregate. Its a spectacular site when it occurs. The White birds are mostly Wood Storks, and the Pink Birds are Roseated Spoonbills.

We have a Great Horned Owl here, neighbors have seen it and I've heard it on our roof, but never seen it.

I see Osprey crash in to the water (like Pelicans do) to catch fish in the pond behind our home. Osprey cant pluck them out of the water with the talons like Eagle's can. Osprey's only get a fish about 1 time in each 6 tries...takes them a lot of effort.

There are huge rattlesnakes here, and neighbors have filmed then and posted the video online, But I have not see one yet.

I see wild Turkey's a lot in our neighborhood, and get this, an Albino Peacock (who thinks he's a Turkey) hangs out with the Turkeys! I have not seen it yet, but many have, and I saw a picture of him w/ the Turkey's.

I've seen a lot of Hammerhead sharks from the Venice Pier. I saw an angler fight a 8 footer for 30 minutes before it got loose and swam off. The water was crystal clear that day, and it was an amazing sight to behold.

I see Manatee's sometimes at the Venice Inlet. Once I saw a Manatee and a Dolphin there that were just 2 feet apart.

2 construction guys I spoke to have seen a Florida Panther. 1 was in Eastern Sarasota, and the other Southeast of Venice.

The wildlife down here in Florida's amazing. I see amazing animals almost every day.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I keep seeing a monster Gator sunning alongside a pond here in Venice, FL. Its at least 10 feet long, no more than 12. They must know its there because there 2 WARNING ALLIGATOR signs near the pond. It looks like a dinosaur.

I see smaller gators daily. There's 1 in just about every pond in our neighborhood.

I've seen 2 wild pigs here too, and there's currently turf damage from a family of them behind our model homes across a pond. They tear up grass like you've never seen before.

I saw a Bobcat while biking along the Legacy Bike Trail in Sarasota, and a nice size Buck w/ a nice rack. Lots of Gopher Tortises there too.

I see Bald Eagles all the time down here atop the highest electrical tower poles. I see entire family's and I know where some of the nests are. There's a nest next to the Venice Airport that was active last year.

When ponds here in Florida get low, Hundreds of White and Pink birds (who are filter feeders) congregate. Its a spectacular site when it occurs. The White birds are mostly Wood Storks, and the Pink Birds are Roseated Spoonbills.

We have a Great Horned Owl here, neighbors have seen it and I've heard it on our roof, but never seen it.

I see Osprey crash in to the water (like Pelicans do) to catch fish in the pond behind our home. Osprey cant pluck them out of the water with the talons like Eagle's can. Osprey's only get a fish about 1 time in each 6 tries...takes them a lot of effort.

There are huge rattlesnakes here, and neighbors have filmed then and posted the video online, But I have not see one yet.

I see wild Turkey's a lot in our neighborhood, and get this, an Albino Peacock (who thinks he's a Turkey) hangs out with the Turkeys! I have not seen it yet, but many have, and I saw a picture of him w/ the Turkey's.

I've seen a lot of Hammerhead sharks from the Venice Pier. I saw an angler fight a 8 footer for 30 minutes before it got loose and swam off. The water was crystal clear that day, and it was an amazing sight to behold.

I see Manatee's sometimes at the Venice Inlet. Once I saw a Manatee and a Dolphin there that were just 2 feet apart.

2 construction guys I spoke to have seen a Florida Panther. 1 was in Eastern Sarasota, and the other Southeast of Venice.

The wildlife down here in Florida's amazing. I see amazing animals almost every day.

And you are so lucky! I've been fortunate to have traveled many times to FL to observe the wildlife you have, saw many of the ones you described....no. of birds species is incredible. Swam with a manatee and her young, visited Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge and saw the wood storks, spoonbills, flamingos. It's a great state for wildlife observation.

Thanks for your post!

Old 12-24-2018, 12:39 PM

1,596 posts, read 775,335 times
I was looking out the living room window just now and saw three eagles swoop down out of a tree, immediately followed by five gray squirrels scrambling down the same tree trunk. Busy day in that tree today.

Last edited by oldgardener; 12-24-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 AM

13,471 posts, read 11,142,137 times
Went outside in the wee hours the other night cuz I couldn't sleep. Was startled by a hoof clatter at the bottom of the stairs. A doe and older fawn were munching the hedges alongside the building and I spooked them. Good sized doe bout maybe three years old I'd say. I've never seen deer in this complex. Not even any sign. Was pretty cool.

Makes me miss my life in the rurals. It's what I have right now though and such is life. At least I'm not in the big city totally hemmed in. If the deer are coming into this part of town food must be getting thin. They're welcome to whatever they like here far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM

15,828 posts, read 9,841,994 times
I just watched the reddest sunset I've seen in ages. Of course, I used to work 2nd shift and seldom saw sunsets but......this one was pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature