U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 AM

2,779 posts, read 1,860,744 times

Advertisements

In the yard this morning we saw blue jay feathers scattered on the ground. Likely eaten by a hawk, as we saw one dine in the same spot last year. And we also saw an owl pellet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:33 AM

3,263 posts, read 848,956 times
Three or four times a week, we get a visit from three Racoons, two young ones we call "the twins", and one larger one we call "Clooney". They come by between 5 and 6 am to feast on the cat food we put out for our outside cat Rufus, who is feral, but loves the food we put out for him, when he can get at it.

We also live next to a big open field with a fairly large river adjacent to it. Canadian Geese often fly into the park and mill around for a while before continuing their journey, north or south, depending on the time of the year. On occasion we see osprey feeding in the river.

We also have a group of Humming birds, probably Anna's Humming birds feeding on Butterfly bushes and feeding from our feeder.

It's really pretty neat seeing all these birds and other animals utilizing the bounty in our neighborhood.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:11 AM

486 posts, read 209,241 times
Lately we've been getting loads of rain. So much rain that the yard has been mushy and muddy DAYS AFTER it stopped. And cold at that. Makes it miserable for us out in the country. Even more so for our goats. Goats can not tolerate water.

But.....We been having really beautiful days. Clear blue skies, crisp mornings and evenings. Somewhat cool during the day. If working outside, you'll still sweat.

Haven't been seeing much of anything lately. I usually go riding when I get off work, but with the muddy roads, I haven't been doing so.

Yesterday when I walked to check the mail, saw my favorite bird, the Red Winged Black Bird. The red was so bright, I just had to stop and admire him. First one I saw this year. In the evenings we hear geese flying. I think they found out it's safer to fly at night when I'm off. Usually during the season, I bag a few geese. Been craving to cook a goose gumbo outside. Love cooking outside. If the weather is favorable next few days, I might make a hunting trip.

The red tailed hawks has been flying a lot lately. Seen several buzzards too. Have to shoot and scare some hawks away from the house. I don't shoot them. Just trying to keep them from carrying off our chickens.

When we were outside the other night, we were graced by a visit with 3 rabbits. Went throw a few carrots out. They came within 10 feet of us. As much as I enjoy hunting, I just can't bring myself to bagging rabbits. They're too cute for us!

We have 2 black turkeys also. One of them likes to come by us and lay at our feet. It allows us to pick it up, pet him (or her), rub the back of his head and even our grandson is allowed to pet it! I don't know the reason why. I looked into it and found that either: it's broody, maintaining body temperature or showing us that it is submissive to us. Told the wife that if it's a she and lays eggs, don't be surprised if kittens hatch. She laughs at that idea. Our turkeys LOVE cat food. Oddly enough, when we feed the cats, we have to put cat food in another feeder just for the cats!

Since the weather has been favorable, I might have to come back and give an update next week or so. Yall have a great day!!!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM

20,872 posts, read 4,397,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Lately we've been getting loads of rain. So much rain that the yard has been mushy and muddy DAYS AFTER it stopped. And cold at that. Makes it miserable for us out in the country. Even more so for our goats. Goats can not tolerate water.

But.....We been having really beautiful days. Clear blue skies, crisp mornings and evenings. Somewhat cool during the day. If working outside, you'll still sweat.

Haven't been seeing much of anything lately. I usually go riding when I get off work, but with the muddy roads, I haven't been doing so.

Yesterday when I walked to check the mail, saw my favorite bird, the Red Winged Black Bird. The red was so bright, I just had to stop and admire him. First one I saw this year. In the evenings we hear geese flying. I think they found out it's safer to fly at night when I'm off. Usually during the season, I bag a few geese. Been craving to cook a goose gumbo outside. Love cooking outside. If the weather is favorable next few days, I might make a hunting trip.

The red tailed hawks has been flying a lot lately. Seen several buzzards too. Have to shoot and scare some hawks away from the house. I don't shoot them. Just trying to keep them from carrying off our chickens.

When we were outside the other night, we were graced by a visit with 3 rabbits. Went throw a few carrots out. They came within 10 feet of us. As much as I enjoy hunting, I just can't bring myself to bagging rabbits. They're too cute for us!

We have 2 black turkeys also. One of them likes to come by us and lay at our feet. It allows us to pick it up, pet him (or her), rub the back of his head and even our grandson is allowed to pet it! I don't know the reason why. I looked into it and found that either: it's broody, maintaining body temperature or showing us that it is submissive to us. Told the wife that if it's a she and lays eggs, don't be surprised if kittens hatch. She laughs at that idea. Our turkeys LOVE cat food. Oddly enough, when we feed the cats, we have to put cat food in another feeder just for the cats!

Since the weather has been favorable, I might have to come back and give an update next week or so. Yall have a great day!!!

Great post from a true nature lover....yes...bunnies are just for looking at, enjoying.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:54 AM

3,345 posts, read 604,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
In the yard this morning we saw blue jay feathers scattered on the ground. Likely eaten by a hawk, as we saw one dine in the same spot last year. And we also saw an owl pellet.
Before Sylvester, we too would see pigeon feathers from where the sparrow hawks took the feathers from the pigeons. We would often see the sparrow hawks hunting because the trees have no leaves.

But on Sylvester, the people here in Germany use fireworks*, so at the start of the year we do not see so many big birds. The various ducks, geese and buzzards are back, but so far this year I have seen not seen any sparrow hawks or their kills.

* On the last day of the year, we produce 15% of our annual air pollution.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:11 PM

13,595 posts, read 11,194,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Great post from a true nature lover....yes...bunnies are just for looking at, enjoying.

Any more that's my take too. The bunnytropolis between my complex and the hospital is fun to walk during the day. They are literally everywhere the. Can't hardly walk past a bush without scaring out at least two. And they aren't really scared that much. They scoot out for six foot or so and sit and look at me. Noses twitching.

But Wile E has been there too. Haven't seen one yet but the sign is fresh and thick. They come in at night. It's a small patch of nature at work in Carson City around here.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:21 PM

12,134 posts, read 13,480,175 times
In my town, in southern Portugal, the first two signs of spring are coming a month early as they have the past few years. Early last week I heard my first melros (blackbird with a very melodic whistle) giving a very enthusiastic concert, and the next day I saw my first almond tree in bloom in an empty lot.

Unfortunately, our winter, which is the season that replenished the reservoirs for the long rainless months has given us very little rain to speak of. This is a major problem in an area where tourism has increased too dramatically, and where vacation and retiree residences for foreigners are sprouting without regard to the unpredictable water supply.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:09 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,083,780 times
Does anybody know what squirrels might do when you get a lot of really deep snow? We had 9 inches of snow on Friday night and Saturday, which seems much too deep for squirrels to do their usual bounding about in, and lo and behold, I haven't seen a single squirrel since the snowstorm, when I typically would see plenty of them even if there were only maybe 3 or 4 inches of snow. I haven't even seen any in the trees.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:51 AM

6,012 posts, read 11,250,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Does anybody know what squirrels might do when you get a lot of really deep snow? We had 9 inches of snow on Friday night and Saturday, which seems much too deep for squirrels to do their usual bounding about in, and lo and behold, I haven't seen a single squirrel since the snowstorm, when I typically would see plenty of them even if there were only maybe 3 or 4 inches of snow. I haven't even seen any in the trees.
They keep going. We average 100" a year and occasionally have a lot more. The red squirrels dug tunnels from under the back porch to the bird feeder. They'll fall back on their stashes if need be.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM

13,595 posts, read 11,194,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
They keep going. We average 100" a year and occasionally have a lot more. The red squirrels dug tunnels from under the back porch to the bird feeder. They'll fall back on their stashes if need be.

Yea. squirrels are survivors. They stash a lot of their winter food and are consummate preppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature