U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM

1,273 posts, read 461,617 times

Advertisements

I used to never see any stray cats running around my neighborhood. All of a sudden, I am seeing them again. I wonder where they have been hiding for all of this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:44 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,777,077 times
Got a video last night of a red fox chasing away a raccoon from a food source. A little later they were hanging out!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:47 AM

3,397 posts, read 627,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
In my town, in southern Portugal, the first two signs of spring are coming a month early as they have the past few years. Early last week I heard my first melros (blackbird with a very melodic whistle) giving a very enthusiastic concert, and the next day I saw my first almond tree in bloom in an empty lot.
We too have this in Germany. The crows are making pairs a month early, the small birds are singing, and we may have already lost our ducks who stay here for the winter. And we have a few small trees starting to grow new leaves. And a squirrel has started to build a nest in the roof space of the house next to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Unfortunately, our winter, which is the season that replenished the reservoirs for the long rainless months has given us very little rain to speak of. This is a major problem in an area where tourism has increased too dramatically, and where vacation and retiree residences for foreigners are sprouting without regard to the unpredictable water supply.
Also here. We had a long warm summer, and even though we have had heavy rain, the pools in our city parks are still half empty. It may not be a good year for the farmers this year because of the little amount of rain we have had.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 PM

24,546 posts, read 12,689,192 times
Happy to be visited this winter by a few Pine Grosbeaks. They're new in my experience and lovely birds. I'll see if I can post a pic of a male and female.

And the Mrs.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:14 AM

32,271 posts, read 17,493,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Happy to be visited this winter by a few Pine Grosbeaks. They're new in my experience and lovely birds. I'll see if I can post a pic of a male and female.

And the Mrs.

Beautiful !.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:32 AM

981 posts, read 434,017 times
Nice pics, troutdude. I was not familiar with this bird so I looked it up and learned that sometimes it does demonstrate "irruptive" behavior (new word for me, meaning sometimes it moves into new territories, usually in search of food)

We are in southern New England and enjoy the Rose Breasted Grosbeak in our spring and summer.

It was also interesting to learn that the Pine Grosbeak is in the finch family and the Rose Breasted Grosbeak is in the cardinal family. The Rose Breasted winters in tropical climes, so perhaps this very different behavior (different from the Pine Grosbeak) explains some of the reason for this different familial classification.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 01-18-2019 at 06:10 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 07:58 AM

119,392 posts, read 13,922,926 times
Quote:

And the Mrs.
TroutDude I never have seen them or at least I never noticed them while hiking here.Absolutely beautiful

Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 PM

7,236 posts, read 2,138,401 times
Quote:

And the Mrs.
I wish I could get some of those at my bird feeders! In fact, earlier today I was looking at the winter ranges of various northern finches to see if any ever make their way down to KC, and a lot of the more interesting ones look like they don't very often.

Heck, I'd love to even see a purple finch at my feeders. I get tons of house sparrows, but haven't even seen a purple finch.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 AM

981 posts, read 434,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I wish I could get some of those at my bird feeders! In fact, earlier today I was looking at the winter ranges of various northern finches to see if any ever make their way down to KC, and a lot of the more interesting ones look like they don't very often.

Heck, I'd love to even see a purple finch at my feeders. I get tons of house sparrows, but haven't even seen a purple finch.
You may know this already, but just in case-

We have a thistle seed feeder (works also for Niger seed) that specifically draws in the finches, purple and golden. Very small holes on the feeder for these very small seeds.

These seeds are a little bit expensive, but really draw in the birds. We hooked up a tray of sorts to the bottom of the feeder to catch the seeds the birds toss away so we can put them back into the feeder for a second chance.

Here in southern New England, we see these purple and golden finch pretty much year round, although they do seem to disappear a couple times a year for several weeks at a time. Maybe when there is better food elsewhere or maybe when they are nesting...it's a mystery to us.

The chickadee and the titmouse will also go to this feeder sometimes.

Hope this helps.

As an aside, the rose breasted grosbeak likes the sunflower seeds.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 01-22-2019 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 AM

5,714 posts, read 3,250,297 times
I love the pictures of the pine grosbeak, a bird with which I wasn't familiar.

It's been a slim year for backyard birds here in southern MN.

But soon I will be in Mexico with the great-tailed grackles, cormorants, pelican, gulls, mockingbirds, orioles, kiskadees, vireos, Yucatan jays, chachalacas and I hope many more interesting sightings. I always get excited about this. There are many on my bucket list I have yet to spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature