U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 12:35 PM

2,109 posts, read 896,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
On my walk around the school campus, saw a red squirrel under a ramp. Thought it was dead, but it was lying on its side and breathing. Just sleeping I guess. I didn't bother it.
Walked by again yesterday, not breathing any more. RIP Mr. Squirrel.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 AM

140 posts, read 32,152 times
A weasel or ferret took up residence under my house. Sometimes, I see his tiny clawed pawprints leading to the farm. From examining his pawprints, I see that he loves going into kangaroo rat holes and kicking the vermin out of their beds, lol. He is a welcome visitor, for he removes the pesky mice and rabbit who live under the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,325,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Walked by again yesterday, not breathing any more. RIP Mr. Squirrel.

RIP little squirrel.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 AM

24,450 posts, read 4,983,308 times
It's been really wet here too...no signs yet of spring at my 3500 ft elevation house but 20 min away the daffodils, Bradford pear trees and cherry trees are blooming.

Have you had kittens at your house before? The mom gets very anxious of course and I've never had one use a prepared bed...they choose where they want to have their kittens....one time it was under the bed.

Crawfish...do they taste like shrimp??

QUOTE=DeanGuitarist;54629589]Since it's starting to somewhat warm up, been able to go out riding. Still getting loads of rain. Gotta be the wettest winter we've had in a long time.

Been seeing a lot of red winged black birds. Few flocks of duck still flying over in the evenings. Been seeing a few snakes too. Just the banded water snakes. But year is starting. Normally see some speckled king snakes and garters. Every once in a while, will come across a cottonmouth.

Our adopted cat Minnie is about to have a litter of kittens. Waiting for her to pop any day now. She's HUGE!! Got her set up with a cage and blankies to keep them warm and covered. And a food bowl so she don't have to go far...

Coyotes....haven't seen them, but been hearing them. They also killed a few chickens and a turkey while she was sitting on her eggs. Poor lil ladies. We are still upset about that.

The grass is growing and not enough dry days to cut!!! Off this weekend but rain is threatening all weekend long. Speaking of weather, just last week we had a storm go through the area. Coulda been a lot worse. There was a roaring and then the house started shaking. We hit the floor, quick. And it was over after a few minutes. But enough to blow the swingset against the porch and had to go collect items thrown by the storm. That was our 3rd miss in the 5 years living in the country. Hopefully we'll keep getting missed, but there has been records of tornadoes out in our area.

Crawfish!!! Like many others in S. Louisiana, we love crawfish. Been riding to a few hotspots and been seeing some crawfish. In the mornings, I like to go ride and catch them. I use a dip net and plyers. The plyers make sure I don't get pinched. Those lil mud bugs pinch hard, at times drawing blood! We love to boil them with some seasoning. To me, they taste stronger than lobster. But much smaller. I enjoy going catch them, much cheaper than buying sacks of crawfish at a time. And during Lent, the prices are outrageous.

That's about what I see in my world. With the spring and summer coming, the nature activities will be coming in full swing!!

Yall have a great day!![/quote]

Old 03-13-2019, 03:37 PM
Status: "In a world where you can be anything, be kind." (set 1 day ago)

16,051 posts, read 10,025,166 times
Heard my 1st red winged black bird. Spring is here.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:05 PM

1,003 posts, read 449,383 times
The snow from the storm last week finally melted enough here in Southern CT for us to be able to walk in the woods again. Today we could hear a red tailed hawk making short calls while we were walking very close to where there had been a nest last year.

We were careful and quiet and as we walked, we looked up and could see quite clearly what we think was the male of the pair sitting on a branch up high, right next to the old nest...It was extremely heart warming to see.

I hope she comes back to you.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 AM

535 posts, read 228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
It's been really wet here too...no signs yet of spring at my 3500 ft elevation house but 20 min away the daffodils, Bradford pear trees and cherry trees are blooming.

Have you had kittens at your house before? The mom gets very anxious of course and I've never had one use a prepared bed...they choose where they want to have their kittens....one time it was under the bed.

Crawfish...do they taste like shrimp??
[/quote]

Jeez!!! 3500' elevation!!! Wow...And here we are with about 30'! Hahahaha...

Yes, she's had kitties before in a prepared bed. Her and a few other mommy cats. Although she don't like to be touched or petted. She's cranky! But trusting enough to allow us to be near her. When I set up her bed, I placed her some food and water near it. I slip her a little milk too. After she ate and drank, she went inside checking out the bed. She stayed in there a while. But she didn't have kitties yet. Poor Minnie looks miserable.

Only flowers around us are clover and the yellow wildflowers. Wifey planted some flowers in a pot and they started growing, no flowers yet. And forgot what she planted. I have some Habanero peppers started in the kitchen, on the windowsill. They're doing good so far...

Crawfish has a unique taste. Nothing like shrimp. Although there's a lot of fat inside them. Especially when you boil them and break off the tails. I pull off the fat and indulge. If the pincers are big enough, I'll pull off the "hinge" pincher and usually the meat comes out. People "suck the head" to get the flavors out. Usually the spices and juices. I can't do that. Urgh. Just don't do all that fatty stuff and it makes a nasty sound. People say I'm not a "true Cajun" because I don't do that and I wear gloves (exam) when I peel them. The shell leaves small cuts in your fingers and with all that seasoning it feels as if your hands are on fire afterwards. I'm sorry that I don't have a likable source to say what crawfish tastes similar to...

I hope one day you get to experience some crawfish. If they're prepared and cooked the right way, it's a delicious dish. Also people use a dip of mayo and ketchup mix to use with it. I don't use the dip, but when I do, I add some Tabasco sriracha sauce. Got 2 bottles of it from the Tabasco Store down in Avery Island, home of the Tabasco Sauce.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM

24,450 posts, read 4,983,308 times
Good luck for Minnie...lucky you...kittens.

Tabasco home...yum. I'd use it too on crayfish if I got the chance. Never seen it on the menu in my area.

QUOTE=DeanGuitarist;54676738][/quote]

Jeez!!! 3500' elevation!!! Wow...And here we are with about 30'! Hahahaha...

Yes, she's had kitties before in a prepared bed. Her and a few other mommy cats. Although she don't like to be touched or petted. She's cranky! But trusting enough to allow us to be near her. When I set up her bed, I placed her some food and water near it. I slip her a little milk too. After she ate and drank, she went inside checking out the bed. She stayed in there a while. But she didn't have kitties yet. Poor Minnie looks miserable.

Only flowers around us are clover and the yellow wildflowers. Wifey planted some flowers in a pot and they started growing, no flowers yet. And forgot what she planted. I have some Habanero peppers started in the kitchen, on the windowsill. They're doing good so far...

Crawfish has a unique taste. Nothing like shrimp. Although there's a lot of fat inside them. Especially when you boil them and break off the tails. I pull off the fat and indulge. If the pincers are big enough, I'll pull off the "hinge" pincher and usually the meat comes out. People "suck the head" to get the flavors out. Usually the spices and juices. I can't do that. Urgh. Just don't do all that fatty stuff and it makes a nasty sound. People say I'm not a "true Cajun" because I don't do that and I wear gloves (exam) when I peel them. The shell leaves small cuts in your fingers and with all that seasoning it feels as if your hands are on fire afterwards. I'm sorry that I don't have a likable source to say what crawfish tastes similar to...

I hope one day you get to experience some crawfish. If they're prepared and cooked the right way, it's a delicious dish. Also people use a dip of mayo and ketchup mix to use with it. I don't use the dip, but when I do, I add some Tabasco sriracha sauce. Got 2 bottles of it from the Tabasco Store down in Avery Island, home of the Tabasco Sauce.[/quote]

Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM

6,766 posts, read 6,251,614 times
The snow has finally all melted and the hordes of flickers here have started waking up the neighbourhood early in the mornings with their loud calls and their drumming on anything metal - transformers, chimney tops, ventilation caps, roof flashing, drain pipes, dumpster lids, satellite dishes, iron fences, etc. - I guess spring is here.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:34 PM

6,028 posts, read 11,314,492 times
Turkeys are gobbling and strutting. 50F today. The snow pack is down to 20" - 25".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature