U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 04:14 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,925,144 times

Advertisements

Turtles sunning themselves on a log today.

As the sun sank, they moved closer together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 04:20 PM

25,351 posts, read 5,142,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Turtles sunning themselves on a log today.

As the sun sank, they moved closer together.

I love turtles.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM

13,791 posts, read 11,376,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Our house gets a lot of afternoon sun in the winter, so its dark wood siding gets nice and warm. We were surprised on Friday to see what looked (from a distance) like an odd little glob stuck to the siding (in the sun)

A closer look showed it to be one of our little (very little) brown bats temporarily out of hibernation soaking up the sun. It was a pleasure to see him. About an hour later, he was gone, hopefully back to his buddies bringing them a bit of sunshine and warmth.

Bats are massive cool. Great mosquito control too. We have several different species of bat here. I'm no expert on exactly what they are just that they have marked differences in size and build. Once a while back I woke up in the wee hours to a thumping bumping ruckus and found the cat had caught and brought a bat in the house where it made an intrepid escape. I caught it with my sons fishnet and took it back outside to the cats displeasure. Bats are protected here.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:32 PM

2,674 posts, read 933,702 times
How do dey know? First day of spring..and like clockwork, we spotted the first bluebird of the season at our feeders today and the valley started resounding again with the calls of the sandhill cranes. They look (and sound) like pterodactyls soaring in circles. The noise echoes and gets quite loud. It sounds almost like a very loud woodpecker beat until the screech at the end of the call.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:50 AM

2,674 posts, read 933,702 times
...and first robin and first red winged blackbird today!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 AM

119,686 posts, read 14,062,425 times
I was cleaning the bedroom and the windows were wide open,when I suddenly stopped and heard to my joy our Robin in our garden singing his song.I guess he must have arrived last night or early this morning.Yes spring has arrived with the welcome song of the Robin.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:29 PM

357 posts, read 92,927 times
Where I live (Bellevue, WA) hundreds of crows perform a migration at dawn from their nightly nesting grounds along I-90 to a distant garbage dump to the east. In the evening the murder makes its way back. It's not a very orderly flock, but the sight is impressive just from the numbers. I suppose it's an indicator of how humans have influenced nature. I'll bet they out-live us.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:00 PM

904 posts, read 812,016 times
Sign of Spring in Southern Vermont.... hundreds of Northbound geese, dozens of buzzards, cardinals hollering like crazy, sparrows and blackbirds fighting over territory...

Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 AM

5,747 posts, read 2,024,136 times
Watched 2 robins do their little love dance last evening. Spring is here! Spring is here! Life is skittles, life is beer.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:22 AM

5,027 posts, read 2,554,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
How do dey know? First day of spring..and like clockwork, we spotted the first bluebird of the season at our feeders today and the valley started resounding again with the calls of the sandhill cranes. They look (and sound) like pterodactyls soaring in circles. The noise echoes and gets quite loud. It sounds almost like a very loud woodpecker beat until the screech at the end of the call.
Uncanny, but probably coincidence it was the first human-denoted, calendar first day of spring.

On the first day of spring, a large group of vultures was lazily circling the sky over the nearest town. I had not seen them since early fall.

A vortex of vultures?

Last week I heard the first Redwing Blackbird calling from the wetlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature