U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 AM

2,696 posts, read 940,558 times

Advertisements

1st bluebird on the 21st and I set out a bluebird nest box later that day (With this long cold winter, I thought I'd have more time to prepare.). I spotted a bluebird snooping around it the 22nd and this AM (23rd) there's already a male & female busy bringing grass & such, moving right in. It's a seller's market in housing, I guess. Isn't it amazing how quick they are to spot valuable property?
https://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2010/06/bluebird.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 AM

25,438 posts, read 5,164,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
1st bluebird on the 21st and I set out a bluebird nest box later that day (With this long cold winter, I thought I'd have more time to prepare.). I spotted a bluebird snooping around it the 22nd and this AM (23rd) there's already a male & female busy bringing grass & such, moving right in. It's a seller's market in housing, I guess. Isn't it amazing how quick they are to spot valuable property?
https://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2010/06/bluebird.htm

Glad they have you to provide for them....watch out for snakes. We kept the metal pole greased to deter snakes, raccoons wtc.

Was fortunate one season to see two bluebirds fledge out of the box....so cute, endearing.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Status: "In a world where you can be anything, be kind." (set 20 days ago)

16,102 posts, read 10,082,546 times
just came back from a walk. wind was cold but that sky was sure a spring blue.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM

2,188 posts, read 928,022 times
First chipmunk, robin, and red-winged blackbirds all on the same day! (VT) then it snowed again - boooo!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:49 AM

5,031 posts, read 2,564,971 times
I looked up terms for groups of vultures. There are many such terms. Some depend on context.

For example, a group in flight is a KETTLE. A group feeding is a WAKE. I love this last one.

Still gonna call a group lazily flying in circles a VORTEX, though!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:58 AM

4,146 posts, read 759,413 times
Normally members of our crow family (usually carrion crow, jackdaw and magpies) make problems for our buzzards. Today two buzzards flew into our ever green tree and plundered the magpie nest.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 AM

13,791 posts, read 11,383,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Normally members of our crow family (usually carrion crow, jackdaw and magpies) make problems for our buzzards. Today two buzzards flew into our ever green tree and plundered the magpie nest.

Our biggest trouble makers are the Desert Ravens. Many people new to here think they are crows. Not even. They are far bigger and much more aggressive and intelligent. I've had them come in to my coyote call and attack my decoy.

We have lots of buzzards and magpies as well. The magpies would come in and attack our robins nest and the dogfights that ensued were pretty cool. Robins are good dogfighters. But the ravens control the skies. Even the hawks and eagles have problems with them. The falcons have them beat though so I'll have to cede them as an exception to the rule.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 AM

2,188 posts, read 928,022 times
in bed this AM I heard geese overhead. On my walk I saw a pair had returned to the little pond nearby. Pond is still frozen but they had found some bare grass to eat. Canada geese.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:09 AM

3,741 posts, read 994,622 times
We have a game camera set up in our green house. We also set out food for our outside cat Rufus. It's amazing to see how many animals come in to feed once it gets dark. Rufus feeds from time to time, as do other several other neighbor cats. Along with that we have a number of raccoons that feed. They all take turns and often there is only a minute or two before another animal comes in to feed.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 457,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
in bed this AM I heard geese overhead. On my walk I saw a pair had returned to the little pond nearby. Pond is still frozen but they had found some bare grass to eat. Canada geese.
You must be way up north with still frozen ponds... everything completely thawed down here in CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have a game camera set up in our green house. We also set out food for our outside cat Rufus. It's amazing to see how many animals come in to feed once it gets dark. Rufus feeds from time to time, as do other several other neighbor cats. Along with that we have a number of raccoons that feed. They all take turns and often there is only a minute or two before another animal comes in to feed.
Food is love.

This weekend, we've been privileged to watch some of our local songbirds prepare to mate and nest....

A male tufted titmouse had been calling repeatedly all day yesterday for his mate to come hither and she finally did.. They had themselves a joyous swirling flight of ecstasy before settling down together on a branch. Then a third titmouse came along and there was a bit of a kerfuffle until the third one went away, chased mightily by the original calling male.

And the flycatcher that nests near us every year has also been calling repeatedly for his mate to come... He's still out there calling so she has not arrived yet.. Hope she does soon.

We put out an old cut up woolen scarf that the chickadees are pulling apart for nest materials.

The two red tailed hawks I mentioned in other posts are still seen daily hunting from their perches high up on the antennas that we go by on our daily walk, but we have not seen them back at their nest again... Of course this may be bc we go by the nest during the time of day when they are hunting.. I hope so, bc it would be pleasant to see them fledge their young again this year - close enough to observe some of the antics.

We hope to start seeing our bats again soon.. There are lots of bugs around already, although I of course don't know if there are enough.. I'm sure the bats will come when it's time.

And thankfully no sign of the black bear... I truly hope he or she ambled off to a less inhabited location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature