U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 08:04 AM

4,414 posts, read 805,846 times

Advertisements

The Zilpzalps having been singing for over a week, and the willow warblers for a few days. They will soon be breeding. The crow babies have already left the nest and demanding food.

I hope the crows do not find the Zilpzalp and willow warbler nests. From the egg shells, the crows do seem to have a lot of success with the wood pigeons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:54 AM

8,327 posts, read 2,475,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Saw what I thought was a gray cat walking across the street. I stopped my car to let it go by and then I looked closer at the tail. It was too bushy to be a cat's tail. It was a raccoon. Yuck!! I don't live in a rural area. I should have called animal control. I hope no kids approach the thing.
That reminds me, one time I was walking in my neighborhood in Spokane at night, and several yards in front of me I saw what I thought was a cat. So I walked toward it with the intention of going up to it to pet it. However I took a few steps closer and then I noticed it had this big, bushy tail. A skunk! No I don't think I want to pet it anymore.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:53 PM

16,135 posts, read 10,132,110 times
Red sy at night, sailors' delight.

If true, the sailors should be very delighted tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 PM

2,640 posts, read 1,846,698 times
A few observations from the past two days. Yesterday a pair of red shouldered hawks trying to make a baby! Today a Piliated Woodpecker looking for a new home in an old pine tree.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 PM

2,766 posts, read 977,332 times
First comfortably warm nite of the year here-- heard a "woman screaming in the woods" --probably a fox-- sounded just like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VRDGAR

but also sounded like mountain lion (we get a loner every yr or two passing thru here) https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C4&FORM=VDQVAP

Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 AM

16,135 posts, read 10,132,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
First comfortably warm nite of the year here-- heard a "woman screaming in the woods" --probably a fox-- sounded just like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VRDGAR

but also sounded like mountain lion (we get a loner every yr or two passing thru here) https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C4&FORM=VDQVAP

I thought peacocks sounded awful!

Old 04-09-2019, 09:02 AM

5,128 posts, read 2,621,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Hmm, fox calls do shriek horribly, like a woman or kid being murdered. I donít think they sound like mountai lions, though. Lion calls sound like a baby mewling.

First time I heard a fox, it was deep in the wee hours, and it woke me up. At first I thought it might be an owl. But the sound kept moving up the steep road, from a height that matched small mammal, not owl in the trees or air. Its travel speed also matched that of a fox. Later, I asked around and someone said it was a fox mating call. Internet videos with sound match what I heard.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:58 AM

25,874 posts, read 5,325,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Hmm, fox calls do shriek horribly, like a woman or kid being murdered. I donít think they sound like mountai lions, though. Lion calls sound like a baby mewling.

First time I heard a fox, it was deep in the wee hours, and it woke me up. At first I thought it might be an owl. But the sound kept moving up the steep road, from a height that matched small mammal, not owl in the trees or air. Its travel speed also matched that of a fox. Later, I asked around and someone said it was a fox mating call. Internet videos with sound match what I heard.

The fox mating call woke me one spring night....very scary sounding....very loud and shrieking.
Looked it up on internet and was confirmed...fox.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 AM

5,128 posts, read 2,621,835 times
Foxes scream sometimes, and their pee smells a fair bit like mild skunk pew. I still like to see them and know they are around. All-natural, undomesticated vermin control!

Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 AM

25,874 posts, read 5,325,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Foxes scream sometimes, and their pee smells a fair bit like mild skunk pew. I still like to see them and know they are around. All-natural, undomesticated vermin control!
I live on a road with "fox" in the address title....hope to see more, only seen one since I've been here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature