Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 05:25 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
First comfortably warm nite of the year here-- heard a "woman screaming in the woods" --probably a fox-- sounded just like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D&&FORM=VRDGAR

but also sounded like mountain lion (we get a loner every yr or two passing thru here) https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C4&FORM=VDQVAP
Maybe a bobcat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM5YBO5CF_0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
Love seeing the redbud and dogwood trees in bloom. One of my plans, one of these days, is planting a dogwood and redbud tree in the same spot. I've seen others do this and, when they both bloom with the colors mixed, it's awesome to see.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:06 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

I considered that too, but it sounded too guttural. Actually, what I heard sounded exactly like the mountain lion tape sited in the post-- but that's a long shot-- The whole state only averages one sighting every two yrs.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 AM

Actually, it's a lot more sightings than that:
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHab.../CougarMap.pdf
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/cougar.html

If you hear it again, maybe you should try to get a recording of it and send it to the Wisconsin DNR.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Actually, it's a lot more sightings than that:
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHab.../CougarMap.pdf
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/cougar.html

If you hear it again, maybe you should try to get a recording of it and send it to the Wisconsin DNR.

My cell phone is a wooden box with a couple bells on it and a crank--"Hello! Central? Ring the Smiths' That's two longs and a short, please."

A neighbor shot a cougar around here three yrs ago.

Those listed by the DNR are multiple sightings of a single cougar as it roams about. A few yrs ago, the cops shot one in Chicago (You can see it on You-tube). Elsewhere on the DNR site they say our rate is about 1 every two yrs...Apparently they're lone males looking for their own territory, forced out by over-population in the Rockies.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,334 times
Saw a squirrel running and a bird was flying right over it, pecking at it. LOL. The squirrel must have got too close to the bird's nest.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:48 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,155,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Saw a squirrel running and a bird was flying right over it, pecking at it. LOL. The squirrel must have got too close to the bird's nest.

Yeah, birds in protective mode don't take any garbage from squirrels. Especially if it was a blue jay.

Well, the female red tailed hawk is in the nest in the woods where we walk daily. (I've posted about this before.. two red tailed hawks fledged a chick from this same nest last year and we saw what we thought was the male at the nest a few weeks ago, calling out repeatedly) When we went by today, we could not see her, but she saw us and flew out of the nest to a nearby tree, watched us walk (quickly and quietly) by and then returned once we were a safe distance away.

Now I know for sure that it was the male hawk we saw calling out and hanging -forlornly.. ;-)- around the nest a few weeks ago, presumable waiting on his mate. I know this bc the female is sooooo much bigger than the male. She is a real beauty to see.. not something I'd want to tangle with.

We are not going to walk past the nest now for at least a few weeks, don't want to disturb her. I expect we will hear them all calling out to each other when they bring food once the chick is hatched and for sure we will hear them once the chick starts to fledge... my goodness, but the complaints last year were fast and furious... "bring me food!!! bring me more food!!!!! why do I need to leave this nice warm cozy nest??? I don't want to leave!!!!"

Of course I'm anthropomorphizing this..

Last edited by LilyMae521; 04-12-2019 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 07:13 AM

1,665 posts, read 973,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Oh my how we love to watch birds "attack" the squirrels, cats and other birds. "Natural" entertainment! We were watching a squirrel go under a car and wait. He then went under another and very slowly crept to the next. And here comes the bird, swooping down and just making a racket, chattering up a storm. Here comes another bird. Told my wife, I'm sure Mr. Squirrel done messed with the wrong nest!

Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
I saw a chipmunk pulling up maple seed sprouts and eating them, feel like I should pay him for helping me weed. Also watched a red squirrel repeatedly carry maple seeds to the edge of a roof, drop them while leaning over the edge to watch them twirl down to the ground, seemed to be doing it for fun rather than for food.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Even squirrels can have toys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature