U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2019, 02:35 PM

8,211 posts, read 2,438,695 times

Advertisements

Even squirrels can have toys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM

1,001 posts, read 744,057 times
1. "The Big Kid" Barn Swallow that was born here and did not want to leave the nest last year has returned -- with a wife! YAY!!!

I know it's him because he sat right beside his nest and greeted me when he first returned and he also took his wife up to the garage to roost for the night -- something none of his previous relatives ever did.

2. We have five Purple Martin houses which mean 60 apartments. They are all starting to fill up. There was a bit of a broo-ha this morning when whomever was in one apartment did not like the person trying to come in. There were three birds in the altercation and one flew away unscathed. A home invasion of sorts by another male I suppose

3. A brown & gold Monarch greeted me as I was getting the mail and yesterday I saw one of the Black & Blue butterflies. Their families have been here for about ten years, I am always happy to see them and that they come to greet me to let me know they have burst out of their cocoons

4. Those miserable Grackles have overtaken the bird feeder to where the song birds don't want to come around anymore. I told DH to stop putting bird seed out in the hopes the Grackles will move somewhere else,mthen maybe we can get the songbirds back. I miss the Woodpeckers too -- they are the only birds the Grackles live in fear of that come to the feeder.

5. I THINK the three deer I see all the time (there are really six but three are constantly together) were the twins and a single that were born here last year. There is nothing funnier than young deer, unless it's young rabbits, lollol

Old Today, 04:23 PM

2,734 posts, read 961,233 times
Fantastic day for bird watching today!--- Morning chill and over cast skies gave way to golden sunrise thru partly cloudy skies as the sun finally got above the tree line on the ridge and cast scattered, bright spot lights on the pasture in the valley. By 8:00 birds were arriving like airliners at Midway Airport in the old days.

Hairy, downy, red-bellied and re-headed woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays, cow birds, red-winged blackbirds, starlings, black-capped chickadees, juncos, mourning doves, house and gold finches, tree and house sparrows, nuthatches and even robins, which never come near the house, all appeared over the course of just a half hour. A little later, an eastern towhee made several appearances (first time we've seen those here) and then a white crowned sparrow showed up (only saw one once last year). A red tailed hawk swooped thru the valley a little later and the turkey vultures were visible in the distance playing on the air currents....Still waiting for the Baltimore orioles, orchard orioles and red breasted grosbeaks to appear in a week or two.

-also saw the first butterfly of the season- a fritillary. Spring took a while, but now it's here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature