U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2019, 09:51 AM

5,216 posts, read 2,675,244 times

Advertisements

We once heard a cacophany of squawks in our (former) back yard. Several fluffball robin babies had landed on the grass and the mom was trying to rouse them to fly away from the crow that had perched on a post, waiting for an easy meal. When one fluffball failed to leave, the crow swooped in, plucked up the fluffball, and according to my husband watching from a different window, “shredded the baby.”

I like both robins and crows. Hard as it was to see the baby taken, neither species is in short supply. According to a birder friend who heard about the above, if we “saved” the robins, we would later have “wall to wall robins.”

That said, when a dazed and exhausted fledgeling robin later landed on our second-floor deck and didn’t move away after a few hours, I lined a box with paper towels, put in a couple of cherries picked off a nearby tree, and placed a milk crate upside down over it to keep the crows from “shooting fish in a barrel.” Then we gave the baby to a certified bird rescue organization. They returned a few weeks later to release it and a couple of other robin rescues in our neighborhood, which was known to be a favorite “robinhood.”

Still slightly later, I found a young male robin sitting on a power line and peering straight into a window where crows often came to look for me. As soon as I saw him, I went to say hello, upon which point a crow instantly rushed over and chased away the robin. No other birds had ever occupied that space before, and although the crows resumed looking for me, no robin ever sat there again. I asked an animal expert if robins recognize faces like crows do. She said, Oh, yes, they do and it probably came there shortly after release because it remembered me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 06:30 AM

8,419 posts, read 10,687,511 times
2 Cardinals, one brownish (w/ a red beak), female and one Bright Red, male. Both hang out together all the time. The Male feeds the female. rub beaks together. My husband says "they're kissing." I thought he needed a Valium. I looked it up and they do feed each other seeds, etc. so it is true. Something to watch for sure!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:58 AM

46 posts, read 10,088 times
The robins finally showed up in our backyard yesterday. Seems kind of late compared to other years. They always try to build a nest under our deck. I would say they are successful about one-half the time (the magpies get to the nest the other half of the time). They raised two chicks last year. We will see what happens this year.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Four Redtail Hawks appeared to be showing off in pairs yesterday, folding wings and suddenly diving down then rushing up, to be copied by another immediately afterward. Sometimes spiraling downward and *almost* touching talons with another.

I assumed it was a courting ritual.

Shortly thereafter, four Turkey Vultures soared in lazy circles in the same spot.

Must have been some good thermals up there!

Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 471,151 times
One of our hummers spent a couple of hours on the clothesline (that is under our porch roof) staying dry today. (Big rain here, all day)

We have at least three red breasted grosbeak couples that are feeding at our feeders. When they are waiting for their turn, their song is soooo lovely. And we've seen in the last few days two of the males swooping and cavorting together in a synchronized fashion.. They seemed to be having fun, not competing in any way, but we don't know that.

The male red tailed hawk has been sitting high up on the antenna hunting nearly every day when we walk; we have not been near the nest since we saw (and mildly disturbed) the female, so we're assuming she is on the nest still. Hoping to hear them both soon, training the young'un to fend for himself... but that will probably be a few weeks from now, at least.

A female turkey spent the day sheltered under a shrubbery in our yard.. She's moved on now , likely gone to roost in the trees for the night. With the mating season in full swing for the turkeys, we can hear the males gobbling quite a lot in the evening, which is unusual. A few weeks ago, the males were making a habit of strutting their stuff (full wheel, bright blue heads and some pretty serious arguments between them) in the middle of the road... The cars slow down to watch, which is good.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,003,903 times
A little while ago, I was weeding next to our driveway. As I stood up and moved along to weed more, I startled a deer that was standing about 20 feet from me. The deer backed off a bit but didn't run away. I said "sorry" and continued weeding, as the deer continued munching on the same weeds. We both did a good job on the weeds today.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:10 PM

319 posts, read 67,751 times
Mama Whitetail Doe and her fawn was laying in our neighbors back yard. The fawn got really curious of me while I was sneaking up on it slowly with the camera in hand to take its pic.

I stood really still and kept taking pics as it approached me, where it finally stopped at around 8 ft. from me and stared at me...then it turned and left un-amused.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; Yesterday at 03:18 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 10:49 PM

While walking near home today, I heard the clear, unmistakable SPICK! chirp of a marmot piping up a warning, probably about ME. Seconds later, I walked right up to the intended recipient, a marmot sitting on the gravel road. It stayed put for several long moments as I fiddled with my little flip phone camera, then it turned around and went into the tall grass and brush.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:43 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,963,185 times
One of our robins actually weeded the foundation plantings....tearing out stalks and leaves in a huge beakful, then flying off (no doubt to fix its nest),

Old 05-14-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
One of our robins actually weeded the foundation plantings....tearing out stalks and leaves in a huge beakful, then flying off (no doubt to fix its nest),
Ainít it grand when wild critters harvest food or nesting materials that would just be waste matter to you?

At our previous house, which was in the PNWet, my crow pals would rip out chunks of moss from the gutters, probably looking for tasty bugs. They dropped them directly below, on the concrete driveway. Messy, sure, but easier to collect than climbing a very high ladder to reach the gutter!

Every time the gutter was checked by humans, it was pretty clean, until we moved away and the house was for sale, empty. The crows stopped coming to visit. Yes, I used to feed them peanuts in the shell. That was the only time we had to hire someone to clean out the gutter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature