Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 03:08 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times

Advertisements

this summer's chipmunk is now eating out of my hand. He's still a bit skittish, I would be too if I was missing a tail!!

Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Today was a good day for bird watching in the backyard. The city is dredging the canal behind our house and the birds love it! Today the usual herons, white, some grey herons and a couple of Great Blue Herons. They look like midget planes when in the air. Two Storks that gave the GBHs a run for the money in size.

Saw a Gopher Tortoise on the lawn. That thing was HUGE! Boy, can they run fast! They have such a beautiful shell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 10:19 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Here in south central MN we have had excellent backyard birdwatching this spring. The yard has been painted with orioles, blue jays, hummingbirds, cardinals and yellow finch. So enjoyable.

A friend once gifted me with one of those homemade giant leaf birdbaths that sit on the ground and I tucked it into a somewhat hidden shade garden which is right under the window by my computer desk. It's been a great gift and the more skittish birds will sometimes come near. There's nearly always someone visiting while I sit here.

We also have all the passers-through. Looking for the cedar waxwings that used to stop by for a short while and there is a very pretty sparrow-like black and white bird I haven't taken time to look up yet.

I've enjoyed reading your posts.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:22 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
i saw this cool snapping turtle on the way to work this morning.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Nice!! Those turts are mean! They make a good sauce piquant.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Nice!! Those turts are mean! They make a good sauce piquant.

This is a thread for those who appreciate and champion wildlife.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Today was a good day for bird watching in the backyard. The city is dredging the canal behind our house and the birds love it! Today the usual herons, white, some grey herons and a couple of Great Blue Herons. They look like midget planes when in the air. Two Storks that gave the GBHs a run for the money in size.

Saw a Gopher Tortoise on the lawn. That thing was HUGE! Boy, can they run fast! They have such a beautiful shell.

SW Florida is such a wondérful birding location, been there many times. Those wood storks are so prehistoric looking! The first time I saw one was in the Ding Darling Bird Refuge but since have seen some in the wild.

Aren't Great Blue Herons awesome??

Old 05-25-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

You take the best pics on your outings....

Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
This is a thread for those who appreciate and champion wildlife.
Much appreciated! I'm sorry, it's just that where I come from we value wildlife as well. Also live off the land as much as we can too. There's an abundance of wildlife and when the opportunity happens, I do give thanks for allowing it.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:32 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
SW Florida is such a wondérful birding location, been there many times. Those wood storks are so prehistoric looking! The first time I saw one was in the Ding Darling Bird Refuge but since have seen some in the wild.

Aren't Great Blue Herons awesome??
Now why would you say that, gbh? ^^^^^^ Yes, they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature