U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 12:19 PM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
This isn't my video, but I wanted to share it. It's so cute!

https://www.facebook.com/witchesnigh...U4MjMxODA0MzY/

not on facebook so can't see it.

daisies+buttercups+lightning bugs=June
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 12:30 PM

120,083 posts, read 14,315,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Wow! I had no idea. This is one good mommy rabbit. And so are the kids. Did you see how well-behaved they were? All except the last one who must have been dithering, panicked about being left behind and got a little pushy about it. LOL

I'd like to believe that nature wants us all to be like this - everything running well. Social order keeps the fox at a distance.

Our bunnies in So. MN aren't nearly so rounded and beautifully colored. They're grey-brown brindled and rangy. We have one who has decided to live under the Russian sage in the yard.

My annual kitchen window jumping spider appeared this week. Just like clockwork. He will live behind a large cup of silk pansies in the corner of the sill and I hope he eats gnats.
Lodestar I remember you were talking about your spider from last year.Did you give it a name? I think the jumping spider knows it is safe on your windowsill.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:19 PM

233 posts, read 79,849 times
I saw a couple things that was really odd or at least new to me a few weeks ago at our PNW home.
We have a second home on a waterfront spot on The Olympic Penninsula and have a telescope so we can see wild life better.
So this one day at low tide there was a bald eagle sitting on one of the branches of our trees.
It disappeared after a while only to be replaced by a golden eagle.
I never knew this could be possible but the golden eagle was quite a bit bigger.
Maybe 20 percent or so.
So I’m looking through my telescope and “low and behold” there was that bald eagle sitting on the dock eating a Dungeness crab for like 20 plus minutes.
Just taking it’s sweet time and picking all the meat out.
I never imagined an eagle would eat crab.
I only have the bald eagle pics on the tree.
Didn’t think about getting a golden eagle pice until it was gone.
I’d really like to get a telescope that is much nicer that can take pics.
We see a bunch of wildlife here but most is a bit away for iPhone pics.
Does anybody know of a good telescope that can take pictures?
Thanks.
Andy

Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,691,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
not on facebook so can't see it.

daisies+buttercups+lightning bugs=June
Oh, sorry about that! I just searched for it and found it on youtube. Maybe this link will work for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrRV9t6av6A

Old 06-08-2019, 03:41 PM

6,343 posts, read 3,596,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Lodestar I remember you were talking about your spider from last year.Did you give it a name? I think the jumping spider knows it is safe on your windowsill.
Nope, no names. I doubt that it's the same one every year. Don't know if it's something about cellular memory or if it's just an appealing spot for that kind of spider.

I learned the sad way not to name my wilder creatures when the racoon came up the hill from the wildlife refuge and Jeffrey Dahmered my frogs.

VTsnowbird, not to worry about teensy spider. The little creature can only manage about an inch at a time. If he's bouncing too close into cooking space a point of my finger near his path will turn him heading for home pronto. Guess you could say it's a well-mannered spider.

Lucky eagle eats Dungeness crab while I go without.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:35 PM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Oh, sorry about that! I just searched for it and found it on youtube. Maybe this link will work for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrRV9t6av6A

thanks-I can see it now.

bunnies are so cute.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,691,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
thanks-I can see it now.

bunnies are so cute.
You're so welcome! Glad you enjoyed the video and I'm also glad that you let me know that you couldn't see my first share of it due to it being on facebook. I didn't know that to watch facebook videos, one had to have a facebook account. I'm glad to know that, so from now on when I share videos, I'll try my best to share them from the original site instead of just sharing them from the link on facebook. If I share something, it's because I like it and want to actually share it - lol. I'm sure you're not the only person who has this issue.

I find it very frustrating when people share a link that is broken or that has expired or that I can't view for whatever reason and I don't want to do that to other people. So anyway, thank you!

Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 PM

6,055 posts, read 11,439,817 times
This evening I watched three nighthawks and a black bear sow and cub. The cub was unusually tiny but racing around the woods so I think he's just fine.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:56 PM

233 posts, read 79,849 times
Hi there Maine Writer.
I’ve never heard of a nighthawk so I google them.
Wow.
Just wow.
You are blessed to have them.
I work in San Francisco.
We get to see Peragrine falcons on the side of the PG&E building.
They actually have a couple of notched out a sections of the building to give them a habitat.
If you google SF PG&E falcons you can see the webcam.
Thanks for posting.
I appreciate it.
Andy

Old 06-11-2019, 08:45 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,028,907 times
Yesterday, in the rain, we watched The Bunny Belmont: three rabbits madly chasing each other around in a big oval pattern, just like at Big Sandy.

It was better than the real one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature