U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 11:46 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,087,955 times

Advertisements

My normal deer-in-the-wild observation always begins with: “Whose big dog got out?”

That's what I said when a three-point buck was grazing in a narrow strip of woods right beside a teeny little house. It wasn't until he moved a few feet to join a second buck that I 'saw' them both as what they were.

Perfectly camouflaged up to then. Even knowing they were there, I kept losing sight of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 AM

2,623 posts, read 1,165,376 times
picture of some clematis in back yard. There is a big grape arbor, it is growing on this. Funny thing, last year it was 6-7 feet away, on the opposite side of the arbor (which is about 5' by 10' and 5' high.)
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-clematis.jpg  

Old 08-23-2019, 02:12 PM

9,636 posts, read 2,933,748 times
Went to listen to this musical piece and got a visual surprise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsNbsyo0sjU

Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 AM

14,526 posts, read 11,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Happened to look out the window and saw a Bobcat jump up into the tree out front. Got the camera out and waited for him to come out. About a minute later I got this photo of him climbing back down then walking away.
20190731_053650 by whitem3az1, on Flickr

20190731_053652 by whitem3az1, on Flickr

That is a very odd looking bobcat. Longer bodied, longer tail, very tall ears and a different shape to the head than our bobbies here. Coloring is different as well. Our bobbies have spots. I'm not sure if what you captured here is actually a bobcat. It's built more like a lynx but doesn't have the ear tufts.

Great pic at any rate. Has me scratching my head to be sure.

Old Today, 06:00 AM

1,961 posts, read 367,943 times
Groundhog comes to my back yard at 6:30 am every day for breakfast along with the birds and a squirrel with some strange markings. A blue jay will start squawking if I haven't put the bird food out on the picnic table.

I presume the groundhog lives on the hoarder's property which is behind mine and on a lower level. He comes up to my yard through a fallen tree which acts as a bridge and through a hole in the fence. Have only seen one, so they must be solitary creatures.

Old Today, 08:40 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,135,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That is a very odd looking bobcat. Longer bodied, longer tail, very tall ears and a different shape to the head than our bobbies here. Coloring is different as well. Our bobbies have spots. I'm not sure if what you captured here is actually a bobcat. It's built more like a lynx but doesn't have the ear tufts.

Great pic at any rate. Has me scratching my head to be sure.
;

Obviously a Chupacabra

Old Today, 01:16 PM

2,931 posts, read 1,135,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Happened to look out the window and saw a Bobcat jump up into the tree out front. Got the camera out and waited for him to come out. About a minute later I got this photo of him climbing back down then walking away.
20190731_053650 by whitem3az1, on Flickr

20190731_053652 by whitem3az1, on Flickr

One problem with evaluating photos of unknown animals is the that of establishing perspective of size. In your very nice photos, we might assume the ground is covered with standard sized gravel (~1 in dia) and that seems to be confirmed by the pavers the cat is about to step on- usually ~ 3-4 inches wide...That would mean the animal is pretty small.....I'd bet it's just someone's short haired cat.

BTW--What's up with that green haired turtle in the foreground? (I added this as an edit and can't put in a smiley face.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature