U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 04:13 PM

43,263 posts, read 3,321,893 times

Advertisements

Oh & on the rafting trip we also some some cool birds, a flock of turkey vultures, on a tree, waiting for a salmon carcass, & a beautiful great blue heron flew overhead. Plus seagulls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM

6,067 posts, read 11,535,768 times
A little mutual observation with this young bull moose in the Maine North Woods on Saturday.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:50 PM

1,099 posts, read 523,195 times
Nice pic of that young bull moose, MW.

We seem to have a resident owl down here. Every day since the morning we first saw her (posted up thread) we have been able to watch her repeatedly as she patiently sits watching and waiting for an opportunity to swoop down and grab her supper. We're thinking she is young bc she seems clumsy still, although she is getting better very quickly. The second day we watched her she swooped down, made three or four little jumps and still came up empty talon-ed. Now, just a few days later, she is successful more quickly and more often. Mostly field mice. She seems to lay low from around 10am to 3pm.

We try not to get in her face at all and by the same token, she seems to not be at all bothered by us. (no fear) From a distance of 15-20 feet, she barely swivels her head in our direction. Once, when we walked past her -about five feet away- not knowing she was there (she was in a pine tree) she suddenly swooped away. In total silence. Amazing.

Also, looking at her through the binoculars, her eyes are like two black holes. The black depths of her eyes are mesmerizing.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 10-02-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old Today, 09:02 PM

10,136 posts, read 3,087,791 times
I just had 3 deer in my front yard!

I'd seen them in my neighborhood twice before - once a few years ago several blocks from my house, and then last year down the end of my street a few days after Thanksgiving during a snowstorm. But never on my yard.

But I was walking through my living room and looked out my window and there were 3 deer! Two of them were on the street in front of my house (it's not a busy street) and one of them was on my yard eating something (I think it might have been eating acorns?). That latter one hung out on my yard for several minutes.

As soon as I saw them I grabbed my cat and put her on the cat furniture I have in my front window. I don't think she'd ever seen a deer before, so when she saw them she went "Grrrrrrrr." LOL!

Old Today, 09:21 PM

14,353 posts, read 8,961,507 times
The hummingbird flock has thinned out, but there are still a few around. I keep the feeder refreshed.
And I saw a monarch butterfly today. She and the hummingbird were tolerating each other as they fed.

The usual winter flock of titmouses, chickadees, and nuthatches has formed up. Wrens keep to their own species. Cardinals don't migrate and mate for life, so they are always around.

I tricked a squirrel family into evicting themselves from our rental house. I made a one way door.

A tiny frog hitch hiked on our Great Pyrenees and found his way into the house. I caught him and showed him to the back yard.

I planted a canna lilly in July. JULY! And it is already 5 feet tall. I have never seen such a happy plant! Blooms constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature