U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 04:32 PM

10,898 posts, read 3,291,497 times

Advertisements

Spotted at my (frozen) bird bath this morning.

I wonder if this guy is why I haven't seen any woodpeckers at my suet feeder even though I put suet in it a month ago?
Attached Thumbnails
Tell me your nature observations!-11-11-2019-coopers-hawk.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:38 PM

9,250 posts, read 11,206,450 times
I've seen a few hairy woodpeckers or downy ones at our suet feeder lately. I think the hairy woodpeckers are larger, but it's hard to tell which they are. Females w/ no red spot.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:10 PM

344 posts, read 126,095 times
At this time of year, we often spotted a few American coots in the area. But this year, their number has increased.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:15 PM

23,503 posts, read 19,864,390 times
I watched a Heron flying with Storks yesterday. Up and down, back and forth along the canal starting at 7:30 a.m.. My last observation was around 3:30 p.m. when 3 huge Storks were resting on top of the hill that goes down to the canal. All 3 were lined up in a row and this Heron would walk over to each and then jump down into the canal. The Storks made the full grown Heron look like a juvenile. They are massive. After about 20 minutes one Stork flew away down the canal and the Heron took off behind it. The next Stork took off after the Heron flapping its wings like crazy. The 3rd Stork said "wait for me!"

I think we have a Heron who is confused about its identity!

Then there was a Blue Heron looking like it was displaying but I couldn't see if there was another one down along the opposite bank.

An interesting day of bird watching

Old 11-16-2019, 02:29 PM

10,898 posts, read 3,291,497 times
Now that would make a good children's book: The Heron Who Wanted to be a Stork.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Old 11-17-2019, 03:39 PM

1,116 posts, read 536,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I watched a Heron flying with Storks yesterday...." I think we have a Heron who is confused about its identity!

An interesting day of bird watching
That does sound nice, lucky you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Somebody kind of beat you to it, although "Stellaluna" is about a fruit bat living with birds... My kids loved this book as young'uns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellaluna

We saw two white tailed bucks today, at different locations. One must have been a first year, kind of thin with small antlers. The other was a beauty- big, muscular, majestic with longer antlers. Both ran into different sections of a State Park.. no hunting allowed.. plus no hunting on Sunday. (Although not hunters go by the rules..) What will be will be, everyone has to eat.

The black eyed juncos are back. Also lots of house finches. More nuthatches now than in the warmer months. Also more titmice (I thought it was titmouses, but checked and apparently it is titmice) and more black capped chickadees. Northern flickers, red bellied woodpeckers, downy and hairy are chomping down on the suet cakes. Cardinals come earlier now (just before dark) and eat the cracked corn on the ground. The squirrels are in heaven (not literally) eating the acorns. I was raking leaves and came upon a heap of acorn debris and now that I've seen that heap of debris, I know where to look and can see them having a grand old time eating and storing up the extra for winter.

Cold and damp and gray... a perfect New England November Sunday. With weather like this, I am under absolutely no obligation to do anything. Looking forward to this dormant season, in part, for exactly this reason. ;-)

Last edited by LilyMae521; 11-17-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Just reading your post, LilyMae, I knew you were in New England. Sounded like my old life.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:05 PM

695 posts, read 306,677 times
Well long time no see....

Woulda been here some time before, but I'm sure that you guys would have gotten bored of me complaining about the heat, little rain, more heat, almost kidnapped by mosquitoes.....so I spared ya.

We went on vacation last month to Arkansas. Very much different than Louisiana. Was up in the mountains. My Liz always says that my face lights up when I see the mountains. While there, we looked for chipmunks. Unfortunately we didn't see any. We did before, but struck out. We love watching those little critters! So adorable. Got burned though. Not bad. Tested the waters at Hot Springs. A balmy 142°F if I remember right. The squirrels were busy picking up acorns, getting ready for winter.

While driving, we saw 4 deer. One almost ran out in front of us. I think it was deer season during the time, but I don't think cars are considered rifles. Wouldn't want to hit one anyways. Rather watch them gracefully move through the woods. They sure are quiet!

Also stayed in a haunted hotel, that story is in the Paranormal section. Check it out if you like. It's called the Arlington. Lots of history...

Anyways, we unfortunately left Arkansas (and the beautiful red foliage) and moved onto Oklahoma to see family members. We didn't see much of anything, except at a cemetery. I was able to get a good picture of a Walking Stick. The bug....

Well fast forward a few weeks til last week. Went over to Texas, brought the grandsons to Dinosaur World in Austin. They had a blast, didn't do much sight or nature seeing, it was all about them. A little gem I'll share is that we saw a Road Runner! Yes, the bird! It wasn't blue or didn't go beep beep. He was fast but was able to get a few pics of him. And I thanked him for posing. We never saw one. Oh and on the way up there, saw a pasture and there were many kinds of deer. I swear, one looked like a Caribou.

Just the night before last, we were outside by the fire. We could hear the coyotes in the fields to the north of us. Sounded like wolves howling, but I doubt there's wolves around our part. Just a lot of coyotes!

Well that's about all I have to share at the moment. As the days get cooler here, we'll be more active outside. I especially will, being that I love the cold weather. Love riding the back roads during the fall and winter. The fog or mist covers the landscape and the trees appear as ghosts along the pastures. The bayous lose the color of the trees to either bare limbs, brown cypresses and green pines. THAT is hauntingly beautiful. And hearing the lores of the rougarou (Cajun werewolf I think) and Jean Lafittes buried treasures....it just makes your imagination explode...

Old Today, 07:44 AM

695 posts, read 306,677 times
While sitting in the blind Sunday, I had the company of 2 green annoles (lizards). There were mosquitoes buzzing around. After killing some of those mini vamps, I fed the lil lizards. With the cold weather, they were slow moving. They enjoyed the fast food.

Watched a Tom strut around, foraging for food. I looked for more but only seen this guy.

Watched the squirrels play around in the trees. They eventually came down to the forest floor and played with each other. Or fight. They sure made a lot of noise.

Was very pleasant just watching the animals. Made me wish that we were still living in town just to watch the squirrels. But...It's definitely not enough for us to give up country life and go back to the city. Nope...uh uh. Raised in the country and wouldn't give it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature