Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times

Advertisements

Larksong just said they were gossiping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I like your cocktail party descriptionwonder what their discussion was about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
No way am I an expert on hawks, so if you find out what your visitor was, let us know.

About time for fall bird migration, everyone.
If you are on the east coast and/or in Florida, thousands will be making their way south for the winter...from arctic-breeding swans & geese & terns to the hawks & tiny hummingbirds...some even fly by night, using stars as navigation....nature is amazing!

I have no idea about central and western US... they must see great sightings too...Coastal Texas and Southern Arizona are known for birding during winter mths. Not lucky enough to have been there yet, but there are many different hummingbirds that arrive in Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Looked like an immature red-shouldered to me...they do not yet have the obvious red-shouldered wings...

Swainson's is a buteo like the red-shouldered, but it occurs only rarely away from the west coast, so you might have a mystery bird....

Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
We had one hummingbird discover our firebushes out behind our lanai. Let's hope he remembers his way and brings friends.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 PM

560 posts, read 844,726 times
Default Sound observations

Just brought to mind tonight the interesting mix we get here. We live on an island with a naval air base, and our home is on 7 acres. We can hear the jets taking off and flying overhead, and at the same time various birds, squirrels, frogs, deer moving through the brush and when it's the season deer mating calls which was very weird the first few times.

Love the fact we still have our wildlife here! We had 11 eagles circling over way high over our place earlier this year!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,194,474 times
I just had to stop and wait for the wild chickens to decide if they wanted to cross the road. Some did but the mama hen with some half grown juveniles went back to their side of the road and let me pass. Smart mama teaching her youngins well.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:33 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Hello everyone. Here is a photo of a bird at my campus library (No, he wasn't there checking out books! Haaaa) area at the university I used to attend. I was sitting on the steps of the library, and tried to get as close as I could- but I really wasn't close! The birds were high in the trees except to fly briefly to another location.

I saw about four or five different breeds of birds and a squirrel!

Is this a Blue Jay or a Blue Bird? Or what??? I think s/he is pretty anyway!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Hello everyone. Here is a photo of a bird at my campus library (No, he wasn't there checking out books! Haaaa) area at the university I used to attend. I was sitting on the steps of the library, and tried to get as close as I could- but I really wasn't close! The birds were high in the trees except to fly briefly to another location.

I saw about four or five different breeds of birds and a squirrel!

Is this a Blue Jay or a Blue Bird? Or what??? I think s/he is pretty anyway!

Looks like our state bird the Mocking Bird.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
I saw one of the smaller possums outside last night and touched his tail. It's all I could reach it was under the shed.. I usually toss 'em but let it slide!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 PM

3,919 posts, read 2,550,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Looks like our state bird the Mocking Bird.
You could be right. I looked up Mocking Birds just now, most of them are not blue. I did see a Northern Mocking Bird! Very interesting...

Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
You could be right. I looked up Mocking Birds just now, most of them are not blue. I did see a Northern Mocking Bird! Very interesting...
Our mockingbirds are more gray but have the same head as your pic. Blue Jays have a sort of crest I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature