Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 PM

560 posts, read 844,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Cool. I sometimes wonder what other animals think of each other. The cat wasdoing the growling? Right?
Yep - scary growling petite furball.

When I hear the deer growling I'm going to start to worry about either me or the inbreeding of our deer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,276,024 times
Flashes of lightening... just enough to give cause to pause...

Old 09-10-2011, 04:19 PM
bjh

59,731 posts, read 30,168,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Yep - scary growling petite furball.

When I hear the deer growling I'm going to start to worry about either me or the inbreeding of our deer!
I have observed our 5 lb cat growling at anyone who walks onto the front porch. She is a puma, as far as she knows.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:56 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,147,140 times
I saw 3 raccoons crossing the road early morning today. I often see deer and turkeys but this is the first time I have seen raccoons.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:17 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I have observed our 5 lb cat growling at anyone who walks onto the front porch. She is a puma, as far as she knows.
Our cat hisses at everyone who walks by. Rude!

The other day, he was by the closed front door when the gardener went by outside with the (loud) leaf blower. I couldn't hear him, but I could see our cat's mouth wide open, hissing at the noise out there.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:18 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
Watched a few butterflies and tons of bees playing around our garden today. Gotta love 'em. Oh, and our fat Toady was here this morning, having his breakfast! He's so huge!

Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Sitting outside late and hearing another interesting mix. Coyotes, owls and a distant neighbor who is definitely enjoying their music tonight!
More wildlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
It may be silly but it seems this pretty little betta fish sticks to his own nature as the fighting fish. When I'm right at his tank face to face, he puffs out his gills. I'm thinking that's a battle stance and not a love you posture. He always wins because he gets the food. He's busy building bubbles all the time and sometimes dashes underneath his bubbles, flips around and makes a bee line for a food flake. Very cute but what if it were a really big fish and I was in the water with it?

My time-wasting rambling reminds me of about 20 years ago when I had my first betta (this one is the second). I had one cat at the time, Baby. She would lie on her stomach with her front legs wrapped around the bowl. The betta would start swimming fast round and round the bowl right up against the glass, no worry about the creature less than an inch away. The cat was fascinated. After a lot of circling, the betta would suddenly stop at the opposite side and dash straight across into the cat's face. Baby popped backwards into the air as if a button was pushed. Very funny.
You never hear such cute stories about fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
About 1AM yesterday morning I caught this giant moth. Took it the next day to show 3 yr old Gkid then released it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Wow. That's a beaut, SATX!

One time, a few years ago, I was walking toward my house and saw a huge luna moth resting on my gas meter. I watched it for a couple of mintues and then went inside to grab my camera. When I came back outside, the moth was flying away, so I was unable to get a photo. It was beautiful! Looked like this (Google image):
Really pretty shots.

PJ8, it never fails: I see a creature. Ooh, I should get my camera! No, it'll be gone by then. *waiting* Okay, maybe it's going to stay for a while. *runs to get camera* *creature flies/runs/swims off* ***sigh***

Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
On a bird-watching trip yesterday/east coast:

Skimmers
Oyster catchers
Royal Terms
Common Terns
Osprey
Baltimore Orioles
Sanderlings
Mockingbirds
Great Heron
Cormorant

Frittilary butterflies

Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
^ nice variety, gbh. i wouldn't recognize most of those on sight so will take your word for them

yesterday on a walk i saw a patch of at least two dozen stinkhorns. didn't bother taking a picture b/c they had been rained on so much they weren't much to look at, but they also stunk less than they would have otherwise.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
On a bird-watching trip yesterday/east coast:

Skimmers
Oyster catchers
Royal Terms
Common Terns
Osprey
Baltimore Orioles
Sanderlings
Mockingbirds
Great Heron
Cormorant

Frittilary butterflies
GBH, I'd never heard of that type of butterfly before and was going to look it up, but wouldn't you know it....there was a photo in our newspaper today!

You had quite the show. Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature