Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 04:59 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times

Advertisements

Cute image, uggabugga.

How do you eat chestnuts? Raw or cooked? Never had one...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yesterday i went on a trail ride near the patuxent river and came across a very old chestnut tree that was absolutely loaded. didn't have anything convenient to put 'em in so i stuffed my pockets. i'd be willing to bet that i managed to cram at least 3 pounds into the two front pockets of my levis.
getting back on the horse was rather difficult..

later, i figured out how to get near there by car, and got a great big bucketful. yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cute image, uggabugga.

This one's too easy: "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

Just kidding. I've never had one either.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times
Hi, gang.

Nature and I aren't getting along this morning. Got about 3/4's of the way thru the walking path when I saw a gator floating towards the shore and I was headed to the same spot, so I did a U'ey and cut the path short. Got out of the cul-de-sac I cut thru, only to be attacked by a kamikaze gnat. He left, only to return with about 5 of his friends. Man, oh man....

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cute image, uggabugga.

i like to eat them both ways - it's still too warm to be starting a fire in the fireplace yet so i've been munching them raw.
they have a thin, somewhat tough 'peel' rather than a hard shell, so i either cut them lengthwise with a sharp knife to open them [or, if no one's looking, just use my teeth ], then peel the 'shell' off with my fingers. they're not like most nuts in that there's almost no fat, and they're very crunchy when raw.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Hi, gang.

Nature and I aren't getting along this morning. Got about 3/4's of the way thru the walking path when I saw a gator floating towards the shore and I was headed to the same spot, so I did a U'ey and cut the path short. Got out of the cul-de-sac I cut thru, only to be attacked by a kamikaze gnat. He left, only to return with about 5 of his friends. Man, oh man....
wow, how big were they?

i think you would welcome even a kamikaze gnat compared to half a dozen gators

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM

I didn't get a good look at Mr. Gator because, as soon as we spotted each other, he went a little further into the water and all I could see was the top of his head and eyes. They say you can tell the size of a gator by the distance between the eyes (5 inches between = 5 feet in length), but I was at a weird angle, coming up from his right rear, so I couldn't really see. Any gator is too big for me to argue with.

Those gnats, tho...man, they were mean! I must have looked like a crazed woman, batting all around my head with both hands and they just kept a-comin'!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Interesting NMS....the measurements = lenghth.

You could try one of those OFF clip-ons for your walks....apparently they work quite well. Gnats would make for an unpleasant morning out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I didn't get a good look at Mr. Gator because, as soon as we spotted each other, he went a little further into the water and all I could see was the top of his head and eyes. They say you can tell the size of a gator by the distance between the eyes (5 inches between = 5 feet in length), but I was at a weird angle, coming up from his right rear, so I couldn't really see. Any gator is too big for me to argue with.

Those gnats, tho...man, they were mean! I must have looked like a crazed woman, batting all around my head with both hands and they just kept a-comin'!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 AM

I usually spray myself with Off. I hate to, but I find it necessary during skeeter season. Skeeters haven't been so bad, so I didn't spray this morning. Guess I should have, huh?

It is kind of neat about the measurements, but I've never gotten close enough with my measuring tape to find out how true it is.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM

i probably shouldn't discount gnats too much, they can certainly be a terror too. around here it's the mosquitos, which have been bad throughout the summer but are exponentially worse now after the more than 15 inches of rain we received in the past month. if i go outside without my 40% DEET, i can often squash 4 of them on my skin with one slap
that's how thick they are.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,810,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
This one's too easy: "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire..."

Just kidding. I've never had one either.
I thought of that too. Just wondering if any of the good folks on this thread have tried roasting chestnuts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature