Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 04:41 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times

Advertisements

So, the bear came through our yard again last evening. I was in the backyard pulling weeds. Bear suddenly shows up, about 15 feet from where I'm working, between me and the house.

OK, I've led a sheltered life, but I have never been so frightened. I stood up. Bear sees me and stops walking. I look around and think about what I should do. I take a few steps toward the porch. Bear takes a few steps in the direction he was originally going. I completely loose it, turn my back on the bear and run, all the while imagining him chasing me and clawing me down. But I do make it up the porch steps. When I turn around, the bear is carrying on towards the brook and then up into the woods.

What should I have done? Started talking and continued to face the bear, while moving toward the porch. Hopefully if there is a next time, this is what I will do.

While this was happening, I understood there was no reason for the bear to actually be aggressive with me. (At least no reason I knew of...) But my instincts just completely won out over any ability I had to think and then do the correct, reasonable thing. (Although I know that running is wrong, it sure as shooting strikes me as reasonable;-)

After my fear subsided, I again just felt so sad for this bear.

Primarily, I share this story because the respect and fear I have felt in the past when I have watched this bear from our kitchen window was amplified to such an extent that it completely engulfed me when I saw him between me and that kitchen window.

I hope I react more appropriately next time.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 08-24-2018 at 05:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 06:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
Oh wow what an experience. I'm sure that in your shoes my instinct would have been to flee, too. Probably not the best choice. However, given that the bear knows you despite the fact that you've never met face-to-face before, he/she obviously didn't consider you a threat in his/her very familiar territory, so to see you running didn't change the bear's state of mind and put him/her on alert. If this encounter had taken place elsewhere, say somewhere out in the woods where the bear hadn't seen you before, maybe it would have been different - or maybe the same, who knows.

I am presuming a black bear? From what I know about them, generally they prefer to ignore us if they don't feel threatened in any way, are not stressed because there is ample food and they don't have to fight for it, don't feel trapped because their route isn't impeded, don't have to protect cubs. Humans aren't on a bear's menu, so that's never the reason for a bear attack. So, what you were thinking is correct - no reason for aggression.

My guess is that the bear sensed respect in your fear and didn't feel any threat even though you were running. Chances are you could have just stood there and he/she would have just kept on going. Ha - but not a chance to take!

What to do if there's a next time? He/she knew you were there before you were aware, thus you didn't startle the bear. So I would remove myself just as you did. You showed nonaggressive respect and he/she responded likewise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
So, the bear came through our yard again last evening. I was in the backyard pulling weeds. Bear suddenly shows up, about 15 feet from where I'm working, between me and the house.

OK, I've led a sheltered life, but I have never been so frightened. I stood up. Bear sees me and stops walking. I look around and think about what I should do. I take a few steps toward the porch. Bear takes a few steps in the direction he was originally going. I completely loose it, turn my back on the bear and run, all the while imagining him chasing me and clawing me down. But I do make it up the porch steps. When I turn around, the bear is carrying on towards the brook and then up into the woods.

What should I have done? Started talking and continued to face the bear, while moving toward the porch. Hopefully if there is a next time, this is what I will do.

While this was happening, I understood there was no reason for the bear to actually be aggressive with me. (At least no reason I knew of...) But my instincts just completely won out over any ability I had to think and then do the correct, reasonable thing. (Although I know that running is wrong, it sure as shooting strikes me as reasonable;-)

Primarily, I share this story because the respect and fear I have felt in the past when I have watched this bear from our kitchen window was amplified to such an extent that it completely engulfed me when I saw him between me and that kitchen window.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:36 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post

Scary, huh? Don't beat yourself up...everyone's first instinct is running...but:

I've read running can trigger them to chase you, as you might appear as prey...

Have tried this and also read to....make noise! I usually yell "Go bear, go bear"!! They have immediately run off thus far. If you have something in your hands, use that to make noise too.

I'd be backing up very slowly, while keeping him in sight....

I try to keep alert as they are in my area.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:10 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
https://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/20...roperly-react/

Bear Encounters in the Backcountry - BearSmart.com

My proctor in Bio 101 was a visiting lecturer emeritus, an old-time British naturalist (earned his PhD in 1910 describing some new species of Hydra). He told us there's a sure way to tell the difference between a black bear and a brown (grizzly) bear-- you sneak up behind it and kick it in the butt. If it runs up a tree, it's a black bear. If you run up a tree, it's a brown bear.

Bears don't come onto your property. You're squatting on their property. If you live where an encounter is at all likely, maybe keeping bear spray with you is a good idea.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:54 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Live and learn, I hope.

Yes, it is a black bear, confirmed (at least in part) by Guido's old time naturalist's approach- Last time he visited us our little dog chased him up a tree.

Bear spray is a good idea. I also like making noise and backing away slowly, since I won't have to remember to carry the spray.

Anyway, having had this experience was good for learning. (always look on the bright side) And sharing it was hopefully good for others to learn also. I knew all the right stuff, but panicked.

Of note, this is in New Haven County in CT. Hasn't been bear country for a long time, but that is changing.

The other thing that is important to note is that bears in rural suburbia are not cute.

Also, thanks for all the tips. :-)

Last edited by LilyMae521; 08-24-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 07:54 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Yikes! That's an exciting bear story. Quite an experience.

My little tale isn't as relevant to human-animal relationships.

As I mentioned a while ago the wolf spiders seemed to have shown up early this year. There's one which has spun a web on my deck between a planter of cacti and one of the deck chairs and I've left it undisturbed for handy observation.

I've noticed that spider is a tidy housekeeper. Sometimes there will be some manner of bug in the web for a day or two and then it disappears.

Yesterday I stepped out to shake some rugs and noticed movement so I sat down to see what was going on. That's the first time I've seen the spider. Brr. They always give me a chill and this one was no exception.

Spider had ensnared some type of wasp and was busily bundling him up with "silk." It looked like tricky business as Mr. Wasp was still very active. I watched the spider encircle him many times carefully avoiding being stung, it appeared.

When spider started his lunch I had to remove myself. The drama was getting a little too real for comfort. But after about fifteen minutes I stopped by again to see what was now happening and noticed no sign of spider or wasp.

That surprised me. I looked around but couldn't see where they had gone. Do you think spider hides his prey to keep from warning others or from having it purloined?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:10 AM

Interesting question....not enough time to consume the wasp I wouldn't think...maybe one of our spider experts will chime in...

fascinating to watch them at work...

Old 08-27-2018, 02:15 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
It IS fascinating and a bit frightening.

Well, I do hope someone can set me straight because I just did a quick google and found in several places that wolf spiders don't spin webs. Yet these guys have been coming in the late summer for years and I've always thought they were wolf spiders. That's what they look and act like. Quick and largish. A brownish dark grey.

It's not a conventional web. More like a mass of fibers with a tunnel in it. Southern MN. Any idea what kind of spider it is?

I took a picture but it was in shadow.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:42 PM

98 posts, read 198,151 times
I saw a barn owl the other night while I was at work. It was perched on the wires stretching its wings; so amazing. I've lived in the area all my life and this is the first time I've seen one. They are the most gorgeous owls. Love them

Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It IS fascinating and a bit frightening.

Well, I do hope someone can set me straight because I just did a quick google and found in several places that wolf spiders don't spin webs. Yet these guys have been coming in the late summer for years and I've always thought they were wolf spiders. That's what they look and act like. Quick and largish. A brownish dark grey.

It's not a conventional web. More like a mass of fibers with a tunnel in it. Southern MN. Any idea what kind of spider it is?

I took a picture but it was in shadow.

There are several people that frequent this thread that would know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature