Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 PM

4,207 posts, read 3,124,238 times

Advertisements

Watched a red shouldered hawk perch on a branch at my pond scanning the area for a potential meal. He went away hungry after hanging out for 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 12:14 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,089,818 times
Saw what I thought was a gray cat walking across the street. I stopped my car to let it go by and then I looked closer at the tail. It was too bushy to be a cat's tail. It was a raccoon. Yuck!! I don't live in a rural area. I should have called animal control. I hope no kids approach the thing.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Saw what I thought was a gray cat walking across the street. I stopped my car to let it go by and then I looked closer at the tail. It was too bushy to be a cat's tail. It was a raccoon. Yuck!! I don't live in a rural area. I should have called animal control. I hope no kids approach the thing.
If it happened during the day, it might be rabid. Same for seeing skunks in broad daylight.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,953,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
If it happened during the day, it might be rabid. Same for seeing skunks in broad daylight.

Over the last 20 yrs, skunks have turned into a blight in suburban Chicago. Animal control does not trap them-- they kill them due to the high rate of rabies....

Raccoons are less likely to have rabies, generally speaking, but it's still not rare. They are universally loaded with worms and contact with their droppings can cause sever problems with cerebral invasion. A couple toddlers died nasty deaths in Chicago a few yrs back after thinking they had come across some Tootsie-Rolls in the back yard.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Over the last 20 yrs, skunks have turned into a blight in suburban Chicago. Animal control does not trap them-- they kill them due to the high rate of rabies....

Raccoons are less likely to have rabies, generally speaking, but it's still not rare. They are universally loaded with worms and contact with their droppings can cause sever problems with cerebral invasion. A couple toddlers died nasty deaths in Chicago a few yrs back after thinking they had come across some Tootsie-Rolls in the back yard.
In WA state, people are told not to contact raccoon poop and to avoid breathing close to it because it contains organisms that can cause toxoplasmosis. We weren’t going to leave such nasty stuff lying around, though, so we put on disposable gloves and triple-bagged it for disposal with other trash.

Any nocturnal animal roaming around in the open during the day is something to be leery of.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:49 AM

5,400 posts, read 3,958,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Raccoons are everywhere. Probably skunks and foxes too.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Raccoons are everywhere. Probably skunks and foxes too.
I see foxes all the time where I live. They are cute lol but I wish they would stay in the rural wooded areas where they belong. My neighborhood is becoming the wild kingdom. Probably why I hardly ever see any stray cats. The wild animals are eating them all.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It was in the daytime. If I see another one, I will call animal control. It will probably be gone by the time they get there but, at least animal control will be aware.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:10 AM

372 posts, read 216,982 times
Where I live, I'm arse deep in nature.

I live in Adelaide, South Australia. My house is in a Cul de sac, half way down a hill

At the bottom of the hill there is a linear park, running east-west along a creek for several km ,which has some water all year.

Most of all ,that means birds. Most common cry is that of kookaburras ,often heard at dawn and dusk. I've only ever seen them once, several years ago, a pair perched in a tree outside my kitchen window.

Other birds I've actually seen, include: Galahs,(parrots) Adelaide Plains parrots, Sulphur crested cockatoos, lorikeets, herons, ducks, piping shrike (our State emblem) and honey eaters.

There is also a small colony of Koalas. I've only ever seen one twice; one was sitting in the fork of a tree. The other was in a person's front yard, trying to get a drink during a severe drought. There are also apparently kangaroo, but I've never seen one along the creek.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

In terms of interesting travel in my country; Have driven across the Nullarbor Plain to Perth and back, twice. It's an interesting trip, especially if you turn south at Norseman, to the SouthWest Coast of Western Australia .It's truly beautiful, with lots to see, including artist colonies and a few very good wineries. Then of course there are the beautiful coastal towns of Esperance and Albany. This is a hidden gem, I suspect because it's relatively hard to get to.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:04 AM

16,581 posts, read 4,866,893 times
The Zilpzalps having been singing for over a week, and the willow warblers for a few days. They will soon be breeding. The crow babies have already left the nest and demanding food.

I hope the crows do not find the Zilpzalp and willow warbler nests. From the egg shells, the crows do seem to have a lot of success with the wood pigeons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature