Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Please get educated! There's a difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes. Most snakes in the US are nonpoisonous and are relatively harmless. Around here, Black Racers are good snakes. They keep the pigmy rattlers away. Snakes also eat rodents and insects, some which carry diseases. Snakes do not damage the environment. They don’t dig holes, chew or damage the landscape or harm plants. They leave very little in the way of droppings (excellent fertilizer since their prey is so well digested). They don’t carry rabies, fleas, mange, or skin funguses. A snake is far less likely to bite someone even if picked up than just about any other wild animal one could handle. All snakes would much rather get away than risk a fight. Rattlesnakes and other pit vipers are very poisonous animals and obviously should be avoided of course. Many more people die of bee stings yearly in the US than of rattlesnake bites
Well said!

When I was a child someone once took me fishing in Oklahoma, and there were copperheads coiled up numerous locations in the tall grass around the pond. I was advised to just pick my way carefully through them without stepping on any. They appeared to be sleeping, and not one moved as we passed through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
Please get educated! There's a difference between venomous and non-venomous snakes. Most snakes in the US are nonpoisonous and are relatively harmless. Around here, Black Racers are good snakes. They keep the pigmy rattlers away. Snakes also eat rodents and insects, some which carry diseases. Snakes do not damage the environment. They don’t dig holes, chew or damage the landscape or harm plants. They leave very little in the way of droppings (excellent fertilizer since their prey is so well digested). They don’t carry rabies, fleas, mange, or skin funguses. A snake is far less likely to bite someone even if picked up than just about any other wild animal one could handle. All snakes would much rather get away than risk a fight. Rattlesnakes and other pit vipers are very poisonous animals and obviously should be avoided of course. Many more people die of bee stings yearly in the US than of rattlesnake bites

Educated? Hey, that thing was trying to strike my DS, it was coiled, and side winding. WTF was I supposed to do, go look it up on the Internet? I did what any mother would do, I defended my child.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Educated? Hey, that thing was trying to strike my DS, it was coiled, and side winding. WTF was I supposed to do, go look it up on the Internet? I did what any mother would do, I defended my child.
Yes, educated! I was referring to your comment, "The only good snake is a dead snake!" That is an uneducated comment. There are bad snakes, and there are good snakes. From your previous post, you knew the snake was a rattler, so no need to look that one up.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:24 PM

238 posts, read 1,504,981 times
Did not read the whole forum but I can say with 100% certainty that is a copperhead. The bite is seldom lethal and many more people die each year from bee sting reactions.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Agkistrodon contortrix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Copperhead Snake Page

Copperhead Snakes

http://www.freesnake.com/cop1.html (broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aY3EXkt-mw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature