Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,201,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'll ask the question a second time:

Hmmm, if you can point me to where within the Constitution the Lacy Act or the 2008 amendment is I'd appreciate it...
The point about the Constitution is that it spells out that any treaty the U.S. makes with another country is considered the law of the land:

Article VI - ...This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Lacy Act amendment simply codified into Federal Law what was already made by agreement with other countries.

It is important to keep in mind the legal chestnut that no one has a constitutional right to import. Importing is a privilege that comes with lots of strings attached including the payment of duties and fees, proper documentation, and the admissibility of the merchandise. It is up to the importer to prove that the goods are admissible. For purposes of the Lacey Act, that means having the required documentation and being able to prove it is true, which may be quite difficult.

Last edited by orogenicman; 09-12-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 AM

15,913 posts, read 20,122,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
It is important to keep in mind the legal chestnut that no one has a constitutional right to import. Importing is a privilege that comes with lots of strings attached including the payment of duties and fees, proper documentation, and the admissibility of the merchandise. It is up to the importer to prove that the goods are admissible. For purposes of the Lacey Act, that means having the required documentation and being able to prove it is true, which may be quite difficult.
Agree, importing is a privilege that one buys under the table from politicians.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Agree, importing is a privilege that one buys under the table from politicians.

Well, that is a convenient way to opt out of a discussion.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM

See post #3

Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
See post #3
Yes? And?

Old 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM

20,900 posts, read 19,372,836 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't they think it's OK?

It's the source country who decides whether or not to sell to extinction their own natural resources.

If the products are illegally exported from a country it should be up to that country to fix their internal problem, not ours...

This law like many other government laws are perfect examples of why America's businesses are going down the tubes...
That is very idealistic of you to think that foreign governments are able to regulate what Americans are taking from their country. I suppose you believe that those governments are doing an adequate job of ensuring human rights?...or that they are able to prevent terrorists from leaving their country?

We Americans have an obligation to have as much consideration for the natural resorces in other countries as we do our own.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
That is very idealistic of you to think that foreign governments are able to regulate what Americans are taking from their country.
If they can't? It's their problem... Tell them to pass more laws and regulations like we do...

Quote:
I suppose you believe that those governments are doing an adequate job of ensuring human rights?...or that they are able to prevent terrorists from leaving their country?
I dunno, instead of trying to hijack this thread open a new one and we'll debate the issue there...

Quote:
We Americans have an obligation to have as much consideration for the natural resorces in other countries as we do our own.
We do? Ahhh you bleeding hearts kill me...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
If they can't? It's their problem... Tell them to pass more laws and regulations like we do...

I dunno, instead of trying to hijack this thread open a new one and we'll debate the issue there...

We do? Ahhh you bleeding hearts kill me...
Right. And when companies like Gibson (the products of which I've owned and enjoy very much) needlessly use the last piece of an endangered tree from Madagascar, and there is finally no more of those trees in existence anywhere, no doubt it won't bother you in the least because only bleeding hearts worry about such things,right? Of course, that won't indicate any selfish arrogance on your part, will it?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Right. And when companies like Gibson (the products of which I've owned and enjoy very much) needlessly use the last piece of an endangered tree from Madagascar, and there is finally no more of those trees in existence anywhere, no doubt it won't bother you in the least because only bleeding hearts worry about such things,right? Of course, that won't indicate any selfish arrogance on your part, will it?
No, I just don't give a crap about the trees in Madagascar or anywhere else

They all look the same to me...

Far as I'm concerned Gibson can make their guitars out of plastic, better for the environment...

Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
No, I just don't give a crap about the trees in Madagascar or anywhere else

They all look the same to me...

Far as I'm concerned Gibson can make their guitars out of plastic, better for the environment...
If I was being overly harsh, you have my sincere apology. I'm not a tree hugger. I'm really not. I do believe in the rule of law, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature