Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,202,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You're a "pretty guy"? Isn't that forbidden by the Bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:03 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,307,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Not the point. I am merely pointing out the issues with find a few bones, then constructing stories about the creatures that supposedly lived however many millions or billions of years ago.
I totally agree...and your analogy was very easy to read and understand...

Old 03-04-2012, 04:06 AM

Could someone please tell me how old the dirt and minerals were, that this fossil was composed of??

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Australopithecus sediba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 02:43 PM

I did read about Australopithecus sediba and magnetic dating and all...

But to me, they're making the assumption that the 'curie point' and the time the fossil formed (which I thought was a very slow process) occured at the exact same time?

In other words the soil in my back yard is infinate years old...so If I lay chicken bones back there, and they fossilize...

do the chicken bones, when fossilized, reflect the age of the minerals, or do the minerals reflect the age of the chicken bones??

Old 03-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
In other words, the 'curie point' seems to be an instantanious occurence...like freezing ice...

Where as fossilization occurs over a long period of time...so how does one match the two?

If something fossilizes on the moon, does one assume that whatever fossilized, is as old as the moon dust it fossilized in?

In other words, the 'curie' point in the soil could have already been completed millions or thousands of years, before the bone which settles in it is fossilized...

Yes, no?

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
And do the minerals or rocks, all have to be in 'liquid' or 'magma' form in order for this to occur?

If so, they would have had to have reached their 'curie point' well before any life form could have walked on the earth...

Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I did read about Australopithecus sediba and magnetic dating and all...

But to me, they're making the assumption that the 'curie point' and the time the fossil formed (which I thought was a very slow process) occured at the exact same time?

In other words the soil in my back yard is infinate years old...so If I lay chicken bones back there, and they fossilize...

do the chicken bones, when fossilized, reflect the age of the minerals, or do the minerals reflect the age of the chicken bones??
Absolute dating using involves bracketing fossils. In other words, you find datable material above and below the fossils. That gives you a time range within which the fossils were at one time a living organism. Sometimes you get lucky and find datable material within the rock layer where the fossils are found, but that is not a common ocurrence. Remember, in this case we are talking about fossils that are millions of years old. There are always errors in the measurments, say, plus or minus a few thousand years for these fossils. But that error doesn't not make the measurements meaningless. Not at all.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Absolute dating using involves bracketing fossils. In other words, you find datable material above and below the fossils. That gives you a time range within which the fossils were at one time a living organism. Sometimes you get lucky and find datable material within the rock layer where the fossils are found, but that is not a common ocurrence. Remember, in this case we are talking about fossils that are millions of years old. There are always errors in the measurments, say, plus or minus a few thousand years for these fossils. But that error doesn't not make the measurements meaningless. Not at all.
Thank you orogenicman...

I really do appreciate your response...

You display a level of maturity and civility, that just takes all the 'fire' out of me...

And all I want to be is 'nice' in your presence...it's called 'respect'...

All that aside...that link was real interesting to read...I learned much...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,129,640 times
baloney. they got a theory but pieces of the puzzle are missing. they keep saying we almost got it. they don't got it.
its a theory nothing more. more disturbing when new pieces dont fit, they throw them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature