Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 04:25 PM

105 posts, read 194,596 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I've wondered allot about this and have decided to see if i could find some information on it.

Ok, so im a mixed raced male of ( American African, Caucasian, and Asian ).

This mix has given me Freckles and Red hair ( im guessing from one of my Caucasian ancestor but i've read that some Asians carry these traits as well ). Though my hair begins black at the roots, it fades to brown then turns red to a point of about 6 inch's, after that point all the growth that follows is red.

So my question is, Can a Red Hair Recessive gene ( my red hair gene ) be weaker compared to someone else who holds the Red Hair gene and has a full head of red hair, is it possible for a recessive gene to be weaker compared to another recessive gene of the same form. I'm just curious.

I've read up on some genealogy, the basics and everything but have yet to find any information on this issue.

Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.RR.Armoneaux View Post
Hello everyone, I've wondered allot about this and have decided to see if i could find some information on it.

This mix has given me Freckles and Red hair ( im guessing from one of my Caucasian ancestor but i've read that some Asians carry these traits as well ). Though my hair begins black at the roots, it fades to brown then turns red to a point of about 6 inch's, after that point all the growth that follows is red.

So my question is, Can a Red Hair Recessive gene ( my red hair gene ) be weaker compared to someone else who holds the Red Hair gene and has a full head of red hair, is it possible for a recessive gene to be weaker compared to another recessive gene of the same form. I'm just curious.

I've read up on some genealogy, the basics and everything but have yet to find any information on this issue.

Does anyone know?

The Neanderthal genome contains the gene for red hair, and so that is likely where it originated in modern humans.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
neanderthals had Ginger-vitus.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
neanderthals had Ginger-vitus.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.RR.Armoneaux View Post

Does anyone know?
You might want to research into the MC1R gene as well .

Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Here is all the Red Hair you want - Red hair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 12,871 times
Eye, Hair, and Skin color exist on a continuum from black to white.
black = one or more pigments that exist closely together enough to absorb all light reflected on its surface.
white = the absence of all pigments which results in all colors being reflected, so you see white.

as the number of pigments are reduced or the space between the pigments is increased the color becomes lighter.

hair color continuum.
Black > Brown > Red > Blond > White

imagine that you wanted to paint a white house and that all you had was a semi-clear paint that darkened the surface by degrees. the 1st coat makes the house an off white, the 5th coat makes it blond, the 12th coat makes it red, the 15th coat makes it brown, and the 22nd coat makes it black.

so a gene that can express red hair need only produce the equivalent of 12 coats of semi-clear paint (the density of pigments in a defined space to create that color).

red hair is the result of a certain level of pigment production by a gene.
if the gene produces more pigments the hair color will be darker.
if the gene produces less pigments the hair color will be lighter.

recessive genes?
are there really recessive genes? or is it one gene that can produce a variable level of output?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature